Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

tips for starting a cox car engine Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2019
robot797's

"cox 049 gasoline"

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

tips for starting a cox car engine Empty
World of Aviation

tips for starting a cox car engine

Go down

tips for starting a cox car engine Empty tips for starting a cox car engine

Post  mitchg95 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:47 pm

hey, i have been trying to start this car engine that i received a couple of days ago.
Glow is good and starts with prime but wont keep going at any needle valve adjustment that i make, it had a postage stamp backplate that i switched out for a 8cc baby bee gas tank
I think its a fuel flow prob, but i am no expert at model car engines
thanks, Mitch
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

tips for starting a cox car engine Empty Re: tips for starting a cox car engine

Post  RknRusty on Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:42 pm

mitchg95 wrote:hey, i have been trying to start this car engine that i received a couple of days ago.
Glow is good and starts with prime but wont keep going at any needle valve adjustment that i make, it had a postage stamp backplate that i switched out for a 8cc baby bee gas tank
thanks, Mitch
Either an NV orifice or pickup nipple on the backplate is clogged or the crankcase isn't sealing around the fuel tank. A fine strand of copper wire and a can of brake parts cleaner will fix up the NVA. Try the cleaner first. Jam the red tube down the needle hole and see if a hard stream comes out of the venturi jet and the pickup nipple. Block one at a time to get the most spray pressure in each opening. If one or both are clogged, probe it with the wire and try again. Also make sure the sharp tip of the needle isn't broken off. That will clog the NV.

Make sure your 2-56 tank screws aren't just a hair too long. If one or more is bottoming out, there would be the sealing problem. You can knock off a little of the tips of the screws with a grinder, or better... best, use a 2-56 bottoming tap to extend the threads deeper into the crankcase. You already know about the gaskets and o-rings.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 on Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:33 pm

RknRusty wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:hey, i have been trying to start this car engine that i received a couple of days ago.
thanks, Mitch
Either an NV orifice or pickup nipple on the backplate is clogged or the crankcase isn't sealing around the fuel tank. A fine strand of copper wire and a can of brake parts cleaner will fix up the NVA. Try the cleaner first. Jam the red tube down the needle hole and see if a hard stream comes out of the venturi jet and the pickup nipple. Block one at a time to get the most spray pressure in each opening. If one or both are clogged, probe it with the wire and try again. Also make sure the sharp tip of the needle isn't broken off. That will clog the NV.

Make sure your 2-56 tank screws aren't just a hair too long. If one or more is bottoming out, there would be the sealing problem. You can knock off a little of the tips of the screws with a grinder, or better... best, use a 2-56 bottoming tap to extend the threads deeper into the crankcase. You already know about the gaskets and o-rings.

thanks for the input, i think i might not be getting the glow head hot enough and need fresh battery's
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:36 am

Cox 101 lesson fresh quality batteries. Dollar store junk does not apply. Good fuel with nitro/ good glow head/ clean engine completely/ good clean glow clip. Solder wires then shrink wrap and buff reside off leads. nuff said.. Small Cox Logo
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 on Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:56 pm

i do need more 1/2a fuel
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 on Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:50 pm

ok, im going to put the origional backplate on the engine and find a new nv, then try her again tomorrow
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down