Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Cox_ba12

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by Gordinir8 Today at 9:04 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Empty
Live on Patrol

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!!

Go down

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Empty channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!!

Post  coxxoc Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:33 pm

I just received another engine with plier marks on engine cylinder fins!!
How else can you explain all the pliered engines I have run across through the years? Half A engines
seem to come in with this affliction more than the larger ones probably due to their small size and construction.
Some manufacturers sent wrenches in the box with the engine and who knows what happened
to them. Then there was the Cox fiasco early on where you slipped the slotted end of the
wrench the factory supplied across the two exhaust ports and tried to loosen the cylinder. Upon doing
so you promptly ruined the piston/cylinder fit, and the engine. The soft 12L14 steel cylinder that nearly
all engines are made of, would deform into the thin intake port nearby. For as smart a man as Leroy
Cox was, I never understood how this got into production.Later on they thickened up the cylinder wall
which helped to some extent, but did not completely solve the problem. Finally in the eighties Cox machined
two flats across the top cylinder fin and provided a wrench to fit it. Lets see, that only took from
1952 to 1984 to figure out. Wasps, Atwoods, Baby Spitfires, Wen Macs, et al, suffer the problem of the
notorious pliers man. I`ve got the solution lads, try this little trick next time. Take a firm piece of wood stock
about as thick as the cylinder is tall and 4 to 6 inches long andas wide as 3 times the cylinder dia. I like the
hardwood handle of an old steel brush myself. Now drill or jig saw a round hole in the middle of it that matches
the O. D. of the cylinder. Saw the piece lengthwise cutting through the middle of the hole from end to end.
Place the engine upside down in the hole with the piston at bottom dead center and place it in a vise.
Tighten the vise just enough to keep the engine from turning in the wood when you try to unscrew it.
If the thing won't come loose then remove it from the vise and with jersey gloves on, heat up the aluminum crankcase
where the cylinder is threaded into it. I use a Bernz-o-matic propane torch and find it works very well. The amount of
heat to be applied varies, and one should start out gently and apply increments of heat until the cylinder breaks loose. A
rag over the engine also helps the process in tough cases. It saves bruises on the hands from sharp projections of the engine. After it breaks loose If it is difficult to unscrew then immediately get somelacquer thinner into the threads as this
will remedy the problem. Afterwards clean up the gum and varnish in the engine with thinner and an acid brush. Give this easy tool a try and put the pliers away.
Lastly, a noted engine expert in the leading model magazine states to use Marvel Mystery Oilas the premier after run oil in
model engines. I myself and a few others strongly disagree with this practice. I tried MMO, Singer, 3 in I and others and
found that in my engine collection that sets on the shelf for years at a time, they all varnished up and had to be taken apart and cleaned and re-oiled. I am not alone in stating that Shaler Rislone oil additive from the auto supply is the very best followed by ATF and pneumatic tool oil. This fellow also states that Coleman lantern fuel, 60 octane naphtha, is thebest fuel for your old ignition engine. I don't hold with that either after reading an article by Petroleum engineers. Best, Wen Mac Bill Best, Bill Schmidt

coxxoc Flying

"Petroleum-fueled internal combustion engines are the worst form of vehicle propulsion...except for all the other forms"
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Empty channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!!

Post  coxxoc Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Here`s a drawing of the cylinder holder.

coxxoc Flying channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Engine10
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Empty re: channel locks???

Post  happydad Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:52 pm

coxxoc wrote: Here`s a drawing of the cylinder holder.

coxxoc Flying channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Engine10

coxxoc: great idea. +1. i will try it and get back. any particular hardness of wood better than another?

happydad Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio

Last edited by happydad on Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : can't spell wood)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Empty Re: channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!!

Post  Admin Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:13 pm

I like to use either the wood blocks or a leather strap and a vice-grips. Just watch how tight you go with the vice grips! If the cylinder has the flat milled cuts on the top fin and it appears to have never had a wrench on it, I will use a leather strap or some wood to remove it to avoid marking up the cylinder. Often times, wrapping the wrench in paper or a plastic bag doesn't work. My 1966 QZ has the tip fin milled (so it can be removed because it has a muffler) and so does my 1971 Baja Bug engine (because it has a throttle ring). The reason why they didn't do it to all cylinders and it took them until the 1980s to do is not 100% clear to me. My best guess would be the extra cost of having to make an extra cut and the fact that most people who would mess up their cylinder would just go buy a replacement and not send it back to the company.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!! Empty Re: channel lock pliers a big no no on our engines!!

Post  crankbndr Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:42 am

I've had good results using the Cox heat sinks, a few layers of tape and clamp down the sink. For the really stuck ones a wrench on the sink works.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 am

And most of us old-timers would suggest the application a small amount of heat in addition to the method described above.

Brute force is a definite no-no.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:56 am

SuperDave wrote:And most of us old-timers would suggest the application a small amount of heat in addition to the method described above.

+1.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:02 pm

SuperDave wrote:And most of us old-timers would suggest the application a small amount of heat in addition to the method described above.

Yep, a butane pencil torch works great for this application.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down