Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Another weekend flying expedition Cox_ba12

Another weekend flying expedition Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Another weekend flying expedition Empty
Live on Patrol

Another weekend flying expedition

Go down

Another weekend flying expedition Empty Another weekend flying expedition

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 am

This weekend we had my old college buddy from Atlanta and his wife staying with us, just hanging out, so what better way to entertain your guests than with greasy smoke and loud noise. So after we barbecued ribs and turned the music down, we went out to fly a plane or two. Number one on the list was the maiden voyage of the Baby Flite Streak. I've gotten damn sick of talking about it and taking pictures of it, it's time to get this thing in the air and put my modeling where my mouth is.

So we grabbed the Streak and the Li'l Satan in case something went wrong, so as not to disappoint the spectators, loaded up the Radio Flyer and headed to the field... or in my case, courtyard.

Another weekend flying expedition SAM_1647

Another weekend flying expedition DSCN2564

I bought the Tee Dee .051 in January and overhauled it, bench ran it and wrapped it up for the next model I would build. Since then I changed to a fine thread NVA and a bored venturi, so the Streak's engine was a partly unknown element. Earlier in the day, I hooked up the glow plug with no fuel in the tank and primed it, gave it a spin and it lit off just fine. I just had no idea where the needle should be for cold starting. Not a problem though. We set up and pumped the bladder up with a half ounce of fuel for the test flight.

Another weekend flying expedition 2012-06-16003

Not too much fumbling and a flood or two later the Tee Dee jumped to life and I set it just on the rich roll-off. I headed out to the handle while my buddy, Kam assumed the launchers position. I heard the engine slow too much and trotted back just in time to see the prop grab the starter spring and yank it off of its mount and turn it into spring steel chitlins. Everything was tangled up, the prop was badly gouged, and fuel just dribbling out of the venturi.

Another weekend flying expedition 0616121643a

Ooooookay... Rather than bore my company with mechanikin', I figured, well, that's why we brought the Li'l satan. So I unclipped the Streak and tossed her aside and got the Satan ready. But not before I had to sit on the ground and unwind invisible green kevlar control line from around both ankles and liberate it from my shoe laces.

Another weekend flying expedition 2012-06-16078

Now for anyone who read this post hoping for a classic Rusty flying video, here's what I came away with. It's pretty bouncy because it was a bit breezy for a sub 4 ounce plane, but the RR1/Satan makes a dandy encore. I even got in a couple of ugly figure 8s, the last of which was cut short by the engine shutting off. But it landed on it's belly... first, so I call that a successful landing.

As for the Streak, I talked about getting it going again today, but I decided I should rig new lines and make a new bladder. And get the hang of finger starting it. That much, I did. It's actually easy enough without the spring, I just have to work my aching fingers a little more. Like I always say, It should be ready tomorrow. So whenever tomorrow comes, I will maiden the Streak. And by damn it'll fly right if I have to kill it!

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Another weekend flying expedition Empty Re: Another weekend flying expedition

Post  Kim Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:25 am

Excellent Rusty !!! You know how it is: The kids ALWAYS have to act up in front of company! Sorry for asking as I'm sure you've posted it previously---what length are you using on your lines?

Appreciate this new accounting of your adventures!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:21 am

Kim wrote:...what length are you using on your lines?...
35' lines. Any longer and I'd be trimming the oak trees on one side of the field. I have flown 45' but that was years ago, and I did clip some brush.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  coxxoc Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi Rusty,

I wonder if I can buy the the Streak and the Li'l Satan down under?

I read that you set the mixture just on the rich roll off. As you know the engine leans itself out
a little once up in the air. It is good to run a hair on the rich side like you have done.
I have never tried control flying but with free flight I set the mixture a
little on the rich side perhaps 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn on the rich roll off, and I have no problem with stalling.
I think where you had the setting was pretty right. I still feel that the needle valve setting should be taken imediately
after a flight when the engine is hot like the professional mouse races do.
Great read and video!

coxxoc Flying

"It still takes a good flying airplane and a little help from the Thermal Gods too."
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:24 am

coxxoc, just order the aiplanes and have them ship them to me if they won't ship to you. Try Select Hobbies first. I'll send them to you down under.
Joe
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Another weekend flying expedition Empty C/L stunt By Randy Smith

Post  coxxoc Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:10 pm

Here`s a great article for you guys that explains all the opposing forces at work in any airplane.
Another weekend flying expedition Stunt_14
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Another weekend flying expedition Empty C/T stunt By Randy Smith part 2

Post  coxxoc Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:13 pm

Another weekend flying expedition Stunt_15
coxxoc Flying
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Looks like a good read, thanks.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  coxxoc Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:12 pm

Hope it helps you a little? Till later. Keep flying.
coxxoc Flying
coxxoc
coxxoc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:15 am

This is the video Microflitedude posted in the traveling prop thread. I just wanted to add it to this thread since it's relevant.

Watch on YouTube

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:31 am

Just got to watch this (good ole Dial-Up!)...excellent !!! I've GOT to try your launching stooge design! I truly can not understand why this part of the hobby isn't just raging across the country !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:40 am

Kim wrote: I truly can not understand why this part of the hobby isn't just raging across the country !

We should rent an RV, and load it up with CL trainers...

lol!
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Another weekend flying expedition Empty re: weekend fun??

Post  happydad Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:56 am

RknRusty wrote:This weekend we had my old college buddy from Atlanta and his wife staying with us, just hanging out, so what better way to entertain your guests than with greasy smoke and loud noise. So after we barbecued ribs and turned the music down, we went out to fly a plane or two. Number one on the list was the maiden voyage of the Baby Flite Streak.

Man, sometimes you do everything right. build a nice plane, detailed so it's now the perfect plane, THEN old ugly murphy rears his ugly head. Murphys law, not Murph the Surf.
You know the one that states "anything that can go wrong will go wrong", that Murphys Law.
we all hope it is an easy fix and soon. happydad Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:04 am

Kim wrote:I've GOT to try your launching stooge design! I truly can not understand why this part of the hobby isn't just raging across the country !

I had commented on Rusty's stooge over in RCG. It really is a workable solution for those who don't have a flying partner.

I think back to the days when I flattened big cardboard boxes to make a take-off strip and used a pull string to release the plane. A one out of three success rate was pretty good for me in those days --- it certainly gave me a chance to practice my starting skills.

I used to tell folks that I didn't really grow up in the middle of nowhere, but I could see it from the back porch.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 am

happydad wrote: ...... THEN old ugly murphy rears his ugly head. Murphys law, not Murph the Surf.
You know the one that states "anything that can go wrong will go wrong", that Murphys Law.

O'Shanassy's Law: Murphy was an optimist!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:15 am

Hi Rusty, it looks pretty cool. How did you resolve the break in the fuse. Mine has the same break. I just used epoxy and never looked back. When I have a break that's clean and no paint damage, I generally use epoxy due to making it almost invisible afterwards. It hasn't broke since so I'm happy with that. What I did do though was absolutely dumbfounded. When I terminated my leadouts, I had a small fray of cable that would poke your thumb when connecting the lines to it.

I took the Dremel with a stone and was just de burring the little fray against the ferrule. I dunno how this happened but the damn thing wrapped up in the tool and broke the wire. I had to open the belly and fish a new leadout wire in. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:20 am

I thought I was the only one that wrapped things around a Dremel.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 am

happydad wrote:
RknRusty wrote:This weekend we had my old college buddy from Atlanta and his wife staying with us, just hanging out, so what better way to entertain your guests than with greasy smoke and loud noise. So after we barbecued ribs and turned the music down, we went out to fly a plane or two. Number one on the list was the maiden voyage of the Baby Flite Streak.

Man, sometimes you do everything right. build a nice plane, detailed so it's now the perfect plane, THEN old ugly murphy rears his ugly head. Murphys law, not Murph the Surf.
we all hope it is an easy fix and soon. happydad Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio

Confucius say "Slice of buttered bread, dropped aspect up, will always land on carpet aspect down!"
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:31 am

andrew wrote:I had commented on Rusty's stooge over in RCG. It really is a workable solution for those who don't have a flying partner.
I first tried a skewer and string method. Pick up the control handle in my right hand and the stooge rip cord in my left. One of the first times I tried it with my Stuntman23, I pulled the cord and launched the plane. I dropped the stooge cord and didn't give it another thought... until my ankles started getting closer together as the cord wrapped around my legs with every lap. I was struggling to keep the plane aloft while trying to force my legs apart. Luckily, about the time I was pirouetting like a ballerina on my tip-toes the 8cc Black Widow sucked air and I put her down... and fell over. My wife was watching from across the street and hollered, What's wrong?! I can't stand up! Are you dizzy? No, please help! She thought there was something terrible wrong and came running over. We were laughing our asses off while she unwrapped me.

I was sure no one but me could have done such a thing. But Jim Thomerson assured me he had witnessed it a few times. He recommended throwing the stooge handle as far as I could after yanking it loose. Other times, the cord got tangled in my control lines. I almost had to run from my PT-19 towing a metal skewer with its angry Killer Bee. That's when I decided there must be a better way. A five dollar bath mat, some bungee cords, a table and bar stool, and a brick did the trick. And an anchor line so I don't tip it over. With some planes I don't even need the bar stool for added height.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:26 pm

shawn cook wrote: Hi Rusty, it looks pretty cool. How did you resolve the break in the fuse. Mine has the same break. I just used epoxy and never looked back. When I have a break that's clean and no paint damage, I generally use epoxy due to making it almost invisible afterwards. It hasn't broke since so I'm happy with that. What I did do though was absolutely dumbfounded. When I terminated my leadouts, I had a small fray of cable that would poke your thumb when connecting the lines to it.

I took the Dremel with a stone and was just de burring the little fray against the ferrule. I dunno how this happened but the damn thing wrapped up in the tool and broke the wire. I had to open the belly and fish a new leadout wire in. Ken

You guys are obviously using the dremel incorrectly. It is supposed to be used to launch small sharp objects either at you or in unknown directions at dangerously high speeds.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 pm

shawn cook wrote: Hi Rusty, it looks pretty cool. How did you resolve the break in the fuse. Mine has the same break. I just used epoxy and never looked back. When I have a break that's clean and no paint damage, I generally use epoxy due to making it almost invisible afterwards. It hasn't broke since so I'm happy with that. What I did do though was absolutely dumbfounded. When I terminated my leadouts, I had a small fray of cable that would poke your thumb when connecting the lines to it.

I had several parallel cracks under and forward of the stab. I removed the paint from one side and decided that was too much like work. So I sanded the other side to rough it up. Then I cut a strip of medium fiberglass cloth to fit the contour of the fuse and a 90 deg angle to attach to the underside of the stab. Slathered it on and painted it. You can see it if I point it out. The outboard side where I removed the paint is uglier. But still pretty from 10 feet away. I'll take a picture to help make my convoluted explanation clear. That rear fuse was too flexible anyway. It's firm now. As you can see from the flight, it's perfectly balanced. I'll get a pic of that job too. Looks pretty professional.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:23 pm

I know exactly what you mean by soft. I believe it may be due to the laser cutting. I believe the wood could be of a harder grade. I saw the thread with the same concerns with the Jumping Bean. I like to use a piece of bass and run it from front of fuse to tail. I cut the fuse right down the middle and glue a piece of 1/8" x 1/4" bass or spruce. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down