Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox Bee ID
by NEW222 Today at 5:30 am

» The Cars are the Stars Contest.
by Cribbs74 Today at 4:49 am

» Aurora Tornado .049
by NEW222 Today at 4:05 am

» Open COX speed event with prizes out to 3rd place in 2 categories
by Marleysky Today at 4:00 am

» Tether car setup.
by Cribbs74 Today at 1:41 am

» Buick Riviera
by Ken Cook Today at 12:29 am

» TeeDee 051 carb sleeve replacement
by Ken Cook Today at 12:27 am

» Display stands
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 11:19 pm

» Large Cox Parts Lot
by jmcalata Yesterday at 8:50 pm

» What Cox engine is this?
by Jenuine Motor Yesterday at 7:29 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
December-2018
Dave P.'s

"RC Tee Dee 049"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost

Go down

cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost

Post  balogh on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Hi there,

Just in case you are interested in how COX stuff flies in Eastern Europe (the same as it does accross the big pond, anyway...) I have uploaded 2 videos on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyXYuogiKLE&feature=youtu.be and at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1k8YTLegTo&feature=youtu.be shot on a Samsung smartphone (sorry for the unedited quality).

This is my 2nd Roaring 20 Early RC model that I have reconstructed from the original plans after my first one was lost due to a loose radio receiver  power cable...never recovered from the swamp behind the airfield in the outskirts of Budapest, Hungary..my heart was bleeding especially for the Tee Dee 010 that powered the lost one, having performed 50+ flight hours with original compression and balljoint clearence in the engine...nevertheless I have several new Tee Dee 010-s I purchased on ebay so it took me no time to remake the lost one in less than 2 days (after returning from the office and smearing CA glue on the kitchen table that my wife will perhaps someday forgive me....) and this new Tee Dee 010 is just the same sort of micro-devil with lots of power despite the decades it has been waiting for me on the shelf of a US ebayer...boy, ain't it fun??????? .

Last edited by balogh on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost

Post  John Goddard on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:47 pm

Excellent vid B.
What size tank do you have there and what fuel are you running it on?
It seems like a VERY happy engine.
Loving the fact you've got a Summer, we had ours on the 27th of March..........................
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: cox tee dee 010 pulling a Roaring 20 I have reconstructed after the previous one was lost

Post  balogh on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:56 pm

John Goddard wrote:Excellent vid B.
What size tank do you have there and what fuel are you running it on?
It seems like a VERY happy engine.
Loving the fact you've got a Summer, we had ours on the 27th of March..........................

Thanks for the rewarding words on the video, my old lady will appreciate them.

In fact I have a 2-way rubber balloon tank that holds 20-25 cu cm fuel without getting pressurized thus the fule supply remains balanced all through the flight...see more here:http://www.micro-flite.com/page47.html

I blend the fuel to contain 50% methanol + 25% castor + 25% nitro..I tached 27000+ rpm on the Te Dee010 and this fuel will help the engine survive 50+ hours without any noticable wear on it...
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:01 pm

I returned to my 2012 post on my Roaring 20 that, since then, has soaked so much castor in its intense use  that its empty weight has grown to 240 grams i.e. 8 ounces. While the TD 010 could still keep it airborne, it was really  a distress for the engine so I decided to help in any way I can.

I removed the old Oracover from the fuselage and wings to see which parts I can recover from this beautiful lil bird...the fuse was soaking wet in castor and practically as soft as cardboard paper, so I decided to rebuild it based on the plans I received when bought the kit from Selecthobbies some 7-8 years ago.

The wing, stabilizer and rudder could be cleaned, sanded and covered again, but this time in very light, transparent white Oracover.

It took around 2 days to rebuild it, and here it is...some decoration is still missing, but the dry weight is just a tad more than 6 ounces, i.e. 189 grams..when fueled, it will stay below 200 grams:

This time I built the firewall to accommodate the TD 010 and TD020 as well. I also fuel-proofed the naked fuse and the center of the wings before covering them, using a spray varnish that auto parts shops sell for the protection of aluminum wheel rings. I tried this varnish on a few of my recent planes and it seems to resist fresh fuel as well as castor.

Weather permitting, I will soon maiden it and post a vid.

It will fly on 2 channels (rudder and elevator) but later I may add a PET  throttle I got from the late and great Roger Freiheit who had passionately developed this unique 010 throttle.
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:54 am

Looks great! You did an excellent job for a 2 day restoration. Sorry about the .010, I would have went swimming... Very Happy
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut on Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:28 am

Balogh Thumbs Up well done on the new plane we look forward to
seeing you new one fly just as good or better than the other one. For sure will be nice treat
to see.

Small Cox Logo  Beer Cheers  RC Plane RC Plane Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:47 am

Thank you gentlemen,

weather here is rather cold and rainy but once temperatures allow I will shoot a video and share on CEF.
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:08 pm

Nice Rebuild you done a good job at losing some weight from the fuel soaked balsa , can't wait to see it fly !! RC Plane
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 am

Thanks Eric..I wish I could drop at least 10 pounds weight from my own body so easily in the same 2 days too.. Very Happy ..
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:48 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Looks great! You did an excellent job for a 2 day restoration. Sorry about the .010, I would have went swimming... Very Happy

X2...........It's probably more than a few of us that have lost planes/engines due to fly a ways etc.. Mine is sitting somewhere in the woods of New Hampshire.

Enjoyed your videos.

Bob
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:17 pm

Thanks Bob..I lost at least 2 incl. the said Roaring 20, and a Lil Roughneck powered by one of my first 051 (!!) reedies from 40 years back (thus leaving me with a particular pain) because of electrical failure..maybe 2 others powered by 049/051 TeeDee-s because I flew them over tall trees and inadvertantly lost sight of them...my stupidity...woods and bushy lands around Budapest are among the largest non-US graveyards for COX engines... Sad
balogh
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down