Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk - Page 2 Cox_ba12

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk - Page 2 Empty Re: How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk

Post  jeaton01 Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Thanks
jeaton01
jeaton01

http://goldeneramodel.com

Back to top Go down

How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk - Page 2 Empty Re: How to make reed valves out of a floppy disk

Post  michaely Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 pm

roddie wrote:
RAMJETT wrote:I used some old picture  negatives to make them once ,seemed to work ok. I don't know what the material is but it worked well . back then my planes had a shorter life span then any reed LOL so I could not tell you how long they last.
I believe that the "photo-negative" mat'l. and also "motion-picture film" mat'l. is called "celluloid".

If you save old airplane-kit "boxes" (as I do...) there may be some mylar "hinge" mat'l. in there that's leftover or even "unused" that may work. "Sterling" furnished this hinge mat'l. with their later kits. "Acetate" canopy mat'l. might also work; depending on the thickness.
Coincidentally, the mylar disk material is computer floppies does make excellent (very light, very strong) hinge material for moving flying surfaces.

Michael
Newmarket, Ontario
michaely
michaely
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:07 am

[/quote] If you save old airplane-kit "boxes" (as I do...) there may be some mylar "hinge" mat'l. in there that's leftover or even "unused" that may work. "Sterling" furnished this hinge mat'l. with their later kits. "Acetate" canopy mat'l. might also work; depending on the thickness.[/quote]

Coincidentally, the mylar disk material is computer floppies does make excellent (very light, very strong) hinge material for moving flying surfaces.

Michael
Newmarket, Ontario[/quote]

Hi Michael, What do you use for glue with this method?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  michaely Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:42 pm

If you save old airplane-kit "boxes" (as I do...) there may be some mylar "hinge" mat'l. in there that's leftover or even "unused" that may work. "Sterling" furnished this hinge mat'l. with their later kits. "Acetate" canopy mat'l. might also work; depending on the thickness.[/quote]

Michael
Newmarket, Ontario[/quote]
Hi Michael, What do you use for glue with this method?[/quote]

hi Roddie,

I made my comment about the mylar material from old computer floppies making excellent hinge  material based on a discussion in an r/cgroups.com forum (most likely in the 1/2a subcategory), not on personal experience.

Since relaying that experience of others, I did a small test as follows:
- salvaged mylar material from an old 3.5" floppy,
- removed the recording finish with lacquer and scrubbing; thickness is 0.08 mm (the thickness of the small mylar tab that is under the white anti-friction disk, btw, is 0.14mm and subjectively much stiffer than the round mylar disk
- gouged out hinge slots in balsa using a #11 xacto knife, not widening anymore than necessary to slide in the mylar without obvious binding
- injected a bit of standard big box yellow carpenter glue and white Wellbond  into alternate slots with a syringe as well as smearing a bit of glue onto both sides of hinge material
- on four test pieces of hinge material, the above two types of glue and on one of the two samples of each glue type, perforated the hinge material with 6 or so T-pin holes ... and inserted the four hinges into their slots to a depth about 3/8"+
- after 24 hours tried to pull out hinges by as vigorous action as I could with a thumb and forefinger grip... none of the hinges moved

-the hinge material is very flexible... while I wouldn't expect an elevator on a 1/2a size plane to droop of its own weight with these hinges I wouldn't be surprised if a solid balsa elevator would droop on .40-.60 size plane

Despite this good news, I expect it would be quite 'fussy' to insert a moving control surface with several of these hinges into its fixed flying surface (eg. rudder fin) without having to widen the hinge slot significantly and then having to peg anchor the hinges in the fixed control surface.

I'm just returning to r/c after a break of 20 years... on the several 1/2a size planes that I still have from that period I used a relatively thick 3M clear tape as a full length control surface hinge, using the adhesive on the one size of the tape against the fixed and moving surface.... those hinge today still hold well, have not yellowed, etc.

I also like on light weight plane structures and gliders stitched hinges using lightweight clear fishing line.

cheers

Michael
Newmarket, Ontario
michaely
michaely
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2