Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!


Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Vintage Cox .049 Ad
by Tee Bee Today at 10:08 am

» Wen-Mac Beachcraft Bonanza
by Oldenginerod Today at 7:51 am

» Strap wrench!
by roddie Yesterday at 7:25 pm

» 3D print Cox logo fidget spinner center cap
by Jason_WI Yesterday at 6:59 pm

» Roddie's P-51's
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 pm

» Got a new toy
by fit90 Yesterday at 6:35 pm

» Your motorcycles and mine
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 2:09 pm

» Just got a PT 19
by Marleysky Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:42 pm

» Broken PT 19 wing repair with Dryer sheet. LOL
by roddie Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:40 pm

» cardboard wing on baby ringmaster
by akjgardner Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:27 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2017
mmischni's

Cox 0.049 Black Widow Powered Pinewood Derby Top Fuel Car



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery


Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:24 pm

Outside loop attempt again........



Didn't look real bad until I removed the covering!



Not to worry she will fly again. Kim this is your fault! lol!

Oh sure, climb and then loop! Ha! Just kidding. Now I am going to be petrified to do it again.

Still having fun!

Ron
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  RknRusty on Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Oh my, that makes me sad. Poor baby. She just did not want to do the things you needed from her. There will be others, and you'll find one that enjoys your exotic needs. Too bad we don't live closer so when you find the hot-wrapped oiled up sleek beauty of your dreams we could meet for a swap.










_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10207
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re: again

Post  happydad on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:49 am

cribbs74 wrote:Outside loop attempt again........



Didn't look real bad until I removed the covering!

Not to worry she will fly again. Kim this is your fault! lol!

Oh sure, climb and then loop! Ha! Just kidding. Now I am going to be petrified to do it again.

Still having fun!

Ron

may i make a tiny suggestion? 1/64inch thick plywood, minimum, from about 1 inch behind the leading edge to the engine mount. if you need some i'll send the pieces cutout. just tell me the winspan.

edited 11:22p.m. PST: and remember Kim's (?) motto: never give up and keep em flying.

p.s. and remember it's not "practice makes perfect", it's "perfect practice make perfect" - vince lombardi

happydad Small Cox Logo


Futaba Radio RC Plane


Last edited by happydad on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add encouragement)
avatar
happydad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 1154
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 71
Location : Escondido, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Kim on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:43 am

Oh Shoot !!!!!!!!

Does it just not turn a tight-enough loop and hits the ground at the bottom, or does it roll in on you? Man, hope you can get it going again without too much trouble!

Kim is now laying low for a while !!!!
avatar
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

Posts : 5517
Join date : 2011-09-06
Location : South East Missouri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  lousyflyer on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 am

Are you trying an outside loop from level inverted flight, or an English bunt?
avatar
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 342
Join date : 2012-06-25
Age : 57
Location : Garden City Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:56 am

Kim wrote:Oh Shoot !!!!!!!!

Does it just not turn a tight-enough loop and hits the ground at the bottom, or does it roll in on you? Man, hope you can get it going again without too much trouble!

Kim is now laying low for a while !!!!

No actually she was flying fine, I straightened the wing up, but have no idea if that helped anything as I had only done a couple warm up laps before this happened.
I was totally kidding about it being your fault. You had made a good suggestion on how to perform the manouver. I think I started too low and there just wasn't enough room between the plane and the ground.
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:13 am

happydad wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:Outside loop attempt again........



Didn't look real bad until I removed the covering!

Not to worry she will fly again. Kim this is your fault! lol!

Oh sure, climb and then loop! Ha! Just kidding. Now I am going to be petrified to do it again.

Still having fun!

Ron

may i make a tiny suggestion? 1/64inch thick plywood, minimum, from about 1 inch behind the leading edge to the engine mount. if you need some i'll send the pieces cutout. just tell me the winspan.

edited 11:22p.m. PST: and remember Kim's (?) motto: never give up and keep em flying.

p.s. and remember it's not "practice makes perfect", it's "perfect practice make perfect" - vince lombardi

happydad Small Cox Logo


Futaba Radio RC Plane

That's the plan! Make it stronger then head back out. I need to have two planes so I can keep moving forward after I break one.

This is too much fun to give up. Just wish the learning curve wasn't so steep!!!!
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 am

lousyflyer wrote:Are you trying an outside loop from level inverted flight, or an English bunt?

Yes outside from level. I am a long ways off from an English Bunt! lol!
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:17 am

RknRusty wrote:Oh my, that makes me sad. Poor baby. She just did not want to do the things you needed from her. There will be others, and you'll find one that enjoys your exotic needs. Too bad we don't live closer so when you find the hot-wrapped oiled up sleek beauty of your dreams we could meet for a swap.










Wow! Some pretty heavy undertones in that one Rusty. lol!
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  lousyflyer on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 am

The solution is simple - get yourself an old trampoline for practice.

avatar
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 342
Join date : 2012-06-25
Age : 57
Location : Garden City Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:48 am

lousyflyer wrote:The solution is simple - get yourself an old trampoline for practice.


That or learn to fly........... lol!

Excellent art work BTW!
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  PV Pilot on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 am

Place the center of your flying circle at the edge of a deep canyon,,and try the death loop in the deep spaces inbetween,,just no mis-steps. Rolling Eyes

Tall landing gear on the top of the wing,,like the wing walker/Acro biplane teams have.
avatar
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Posts : 1832
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 50
Location : The ragged end of the Universe.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  RknRusty on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:30 am

Ron, with everything you've learned with the Ringmaster, I think your next plane, whatever it is, will be a happy surprise the first time you try some tricks with it. Provided you don't get too excited and drop the handle. Laughing You'll be like I was, in disbelief wondering what the heck was so hard about it. Outside loops are riskier, so just start high. I have a video on the Tube of my first loop and I shouted "I did it!" My son with his cell-cam shouts "Do it again," and I did about six but it sucked air and crashed on the seventh try.
It was a while before I did outside loops much. I did figure eights first, which I found less risky, you just have to back peddle and have your engine running fast. And I was also accomplished at roundy-round flying long before I was trying stunts.

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10207
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:07 pm

RknRusty wrote:Ron, with everything you've learned with the Ringmaster, I think your next plane, whatever it is, will be a happy surprise the first time you try some tricks with it. Provided you don't get too excited and drop the handle. Laughing You'll be like I was, in disbelief wondering what the heck was so hard about it. Outside loops are riskier, so just start high. I have a video on the Tube of my first loop and I shouted "I did it!" My son with his cell-cam shouts "Do it again," and I did about six but it sucked air and crashed on the seventh try.
It was a while before I did outside loops much. I did figure eights first, which I found less risky, you just have to back peddle and have your engine running fast. And I was also accomplished at roundy-round flying long before I was trying stunts.

My next victim will be the Bean or the Baby Clown as I have laser kits for both. I also now have plans for a Baby Flight streak! I am going to fix this one though as it does fly well.

Perhaps I should set the outside loop aside for a while and work on the figure 8. I may be biting off more than I can chew.
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  lousyflyer on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 pm

The Baby Ringmaster is basically a small collection of parts that follows an engine around. Not enough wing area to do much more than fly in circles.
avatar
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 342
Join date : 2012-06-25
Age : 57
Location : Garden City Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  RknRusty on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:31 pm

Both of those look like good flyers. I had a good time with my Bean. I've never had a Clown but it has a larger wing so it might fly stunts even more easily than the Bean.

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10207
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Kim on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:06 pm

lousyflyer wrote:The solution is simple - get yourself an old trampoline for practice.


I hope there is no copyright assigned to this excellent technical drawing, as it now resides as my computer's screen saver !!!
avatar
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

Posts : 5517
Join date : 2011-09-06
Location : South East Missouri

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  SuperDave on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:29 pm

"Failure can be success if you learn from it." - from The collected "Timeless Wisdoms" of SD.

BTW, starting with decent elevation my BR does an outside loop just fine. Smile Kim's TD .051 makes it EZ.
avatar
SuperDave
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3552
Join date : 2011-08-13
Location : Washington (state)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 pm

SuperDave wrote:"Failure can be success if you learn from it." - from The collected "Timeless Wisdoms" of SD.

BTW, starting with decent elevation my BR does an outside loop just fine. Smile Kim's TD .051 makes it EZ.

Dave,

Have you taken lap times with your Baby Ring? With a tanked Widow it hums along pretty good, I imagine with a TD it just screams! Right now it moves faster than I can react at times. I am on 30' lines, but I could safely go out to 35' max. The Widow will VOG the BRM right off the stooge if I give it too much elevator so the power to weight ratio seems excellent.

I imagine I just need more practice in getting it right.

avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  lousyflyer on Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:15 pm

A TeeDee .051 on a Baby Ringmaster? Yikes!
avatar
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 342
Join date : 2012-06-25
Age : 57
Location : Garden City Ga

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re: 2nd plane

Post  happydad on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:46 pm

cribbs74 wrote:
happydad wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:Outside loop attempt again........



Didn't look real bad until I removed the covering!

Not to worry she will fly again. Kim this is your fault! lol!

Oh sure, climb and then loop! Ha! Just kidding. Now I am going to be petrified to do it again.

Still having fun!

Ron

may i make a tiny suggestion? 1/64inch thick plywood, minimum, from about 1 inch behind the leading edge to the engine mount. if you need some i'll send the pieces cutout. just tell me the winspan.

edited 11:22p.m. PST: and remember Kim's (?) motto: never give up and keep em flying.

p.s. and remember it's not "practice makes perfect", it's "perfect practice make perfect" - vince lombardi

happydad Small Cox Logo


Futaba Radio RC Plane

That's the plan! Make it stronger then head back out. I need to have two planes so I can keep moving forward after I break one.

This is too much fun to give up. Just wish the learning curve wasn't so steep!!!!

so where do you want me to send the sterling baby ringmaster? happydad Small Cox Logo
Futaba Radio RC Plane
avatar
happydad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I Support My Forum

Posts : 1154
Join date : 2012-05-28
Age : 71
Location : Escondido, CA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:54 pm

PM incoming.
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  SuperDave on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:03 am

Ron:

I fly the BR on 35 foot lines and it's still pretty quick and agile. I'm using a 1/3 ounce Brodak wedge tank and the run time is about right for me of advancing years. Although I've yet to try inverted flight I'm sure the "hot rod" BR is capable.

BTW, without a Brodak catalog tank selection is pretty much a crap shoot so it's easy to select the wrong one. Having done this and retrned tanks to Brodak, John sent me a catalog gratis.

Problem solved. John Brodak is a good guy IMO.
avatar
SuperDave
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3552
Join date : 2011-08-13
Location : Washington (state)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Cribbs74 on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:18 am

SuperDave wrote:Ron:

I fly the BR on 35 foot lines and it's still pretty quick and agile. I'm using a 1/3 ounce Brodak wedge tank and the run time is about right for me of advancing years. Although I've yet to try inverted flight I'm sure the "hot rod" BR is capable.

BTW, without a Brodak catalog tank selection is pretty much a crap shoot so it's easy to select the wrong one. Having done this and retrned tanks to Brodak, John sent me a catalog gratis.

Problem solved. John Brodak is a good guy IMO.

Yeah John is a good guy, I spoke with him a few times and he seem to genuinely care. I had a tank issue and I told him what tank was required in the plans and he told me what the current equivalent would be. I wish Brodak would be a little more proactive in stocking the 1/2A kits they have listed. I had been waiting for months for a Jumpin Bean and a Li'l Satan and still nothing. Luckily Joe sold me a Bean and Indra bought me a Baby Clown to keep me occupied for a while.

Currently my BRM is running a Black Widow so an external tank is not required. If I decide to get serious and run a TD I may hit you up for suggestions.

Ron
avatar
Cribbs74
Moderator

Trusted Seller
Posts : 9358
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 43
Location : Tuttle, OK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  RknRusty on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:32 am

Ron, I just thought of something. Have you ever noticed in my earlier videos I always had a streamer trailing the plane? I first put it there to help the camera and audience see it, and I thought it looked cool. But I'm pretty sure the drag made it easier for me to control it when I was learning to fly loops and 8s and such. I started out with red Christmas tissue like you stuff in gift bags. About 2" wide and 3 or 4' long. I tied it to a dacron string long enough to clear the airframe. After that I used a crepe paper ribbon, but it deteriorates faster and leaves a trail of bits.
It might be worth a try.

_________________
Don't Panic!
...and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!


My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
avatar
RknRusty
Moderator

Posts : 10207
Join date : 2011-08-10
Age : 61
Location : South Carolina, USA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Baby Ringmaster 2012-2012 R.I.P

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum