Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Saturday Control line blues.......With video! Cox_ba12

Saturday Control line blues.......With video! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Saturday Control line blues.......With video! Empty
Live on Patrol

Saturday Control line blues.......With video!

Go down

Saturday Control line blues.......With video! Empty Saturday Control line blues.......With video!

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:34 pm

Seeing as my BRM is under the knife I got bored and wondered how my Wizard would fly with an RR1 stuck on the nose. Very Happy

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=Zw6SW7jRe4M

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plcp&v=_-7zCFLCSMU

If you can't view it drop the (m.) in front of youtube.

Ron

(Edit: I added the links below. -WingingIt74)

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Saturday Control line blues.......With video! Empty Re: Saturday Control line blues.......With video!

Post  RknRusty Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Pretty good flight. That RR1 is a quick little engine. Loud too. Looks like about 3 second laps, that's about as fast as you want it to fly. Are you on 30' or 35' lines? I calculated 59.9 MPH on 40' lines(plus my 2' arm), so you're probably doing about 50. Any faster than 3 seconds gets awfully frantic.

Did you see the post I made in the Ringmaster RIP thread about using a streamer to tame the loops? Might be worth a try when you get your stunter flying again.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Saturday Control line blues.......With video! Empty Re: Saturday Control line blues.......With video!

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:22 am

RknRusty wrote:Pretty good flight. That RR1 is a quick little engine. Loud too. Looks like about 3 second laps, that's about as fast as you want it to fly. Are you on 30' or 35' lines? I calculated 59.9 MPH on 40' lines(plus my 2' arm), so you're probably doing about 50. Any faster than 3 seconds gets awfully frantic.

Did you see the post I made in the Ringmaster RIP thread about using a streamer to tame the loops? Might be worth a try when you get your stunter flying again.

Hey Rusty,

30' lines on that flight. That was with a 6x3 up front to slow things down. Great little engine that RR1.

I did see the post about the streamer and I will be trying that out as soon as the BRM is covered, or the Bean gets finished. Whichever comes first.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:17 am

Ron, the problem with Ringmaster's is the design of the wing. I'm assuming you have the Brodak version and I can't comment on it due to never building it. One thing I can comment on is the way most the kits that he put out has been redesigned. I'm not a particular fan of glued up trailing edges or built up leading edges. In either situation, the trailing edge tapers coming together in the center on a mitre. That joint now becomes the sacrificial element of the wing design. It happens with the larger Ring as well. The solution is, fiberglass that joint with a strip of lightweight glass and epoxy not just CA. I know you've mentioned you don't have any. I could send you some if you would prefer. Another option is to use a strip of drywall tape, (fiberglass mesh tape) and iron on the tape enveloping the joint and onto the sheeting. I thin yellow glue down 40% approx and brush it onto the mesh with an acid brush. An even simpler method would be to lay some carbon tow across the joint either installed with thin CA or thinned white glue running parallel with the leading edge spanning 1" or 2" across the joint each way. These methods are light and also are virtually undetectable covered in Monokote. The problem is the momentum generated when the plane hits the ground, everything wants to go forward and once this happens you have a two fold break due to the leading edge breaking as well. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:25 am

Hey Ken,

I scratch built the BRM from plans, but yes the trailing edge is 2 piece. I am at the re-covering stage just now and I can do the mod you suggested.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:25 am

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that was a 6" prop on the RR1. By the sound of it, I figured it was a 5.5 or smaller. You've got a good one there. Mine has always been hard to crank, and now it's getting harder to needle, so I may finally have to crack it open and have a look.
Is 30' the max you can fit into your circle? 35' would sure make those stunts easier.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:06 pm

RknRusty wrote:Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that was a 6" prop on the RR1. By the sound of it, I figured it was a 5.5 or smaller. You've got a good one there. Mine has always been hard to crank, and now it's getting harder to needle, so I may finally have to crack it open and have a look.
Is 30' the max you can fit into your circle? 35' would sure make those stunts easier.

I could probably do 40' although I would be toying with the treeline. I chose 30' so I can move around a bit and still be safe. I think I will do a set of 35' lines for the BRM ressurection and the Bean debut though.

The RR1 is pretty powerful. Sucks some fuel though. Also leaves a white mist trailing behind when flying. I wonder if fuel is coming out of the vent.....
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:23 pm

Pon ma Soul you're looking good Ron.
The RR1 sounds wicked.
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:24 pm

cribbs74 wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that was a 6" prop on the RR1. By the sound of it, I figured it was a 5.5 or smaller. You've got a good one there. Mine has always been hard to crank, and now it's getting harder to needle, so I may finally have to crack it open and have a look.

I could probably do 40' although I would be toying with the treeline. I chose 30' so I can move around a bit and still be safe. I think I will do a set of 35' lines for the BRM ressurection and the Bean debut though.

The RR1 is pretty powerful. Sucks some fuel though. Also leaves a white mist trailing behind when flying. I wonder if fuel is coming out of the vent.....
You'll find 35' much more agreeable and less frantic. That's the perfect length for mid-speed 1/2A, especially for loops and tricks.

Yep and yep. I'm lucky to get 90 seconds out of my RR1. I bet you are seeing fuel spraying out of the vent, though I've never noticed it from mine.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:41 pm

RknRusty wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:

You'll find 35' much more agreeable and less frantic. That's the perfect length for mid-speed 1/2A, especially for loops and tricks.

Yep and yep. I'm lucky to get 90 seconds out of my RR1. I bet you are seeing fuel spraying out of the vent, though I've never noticed it from mine.

I think I was under a minute on that flight. I wonder how it would do on 5x3, the speed would pick up that's for sure. I probably will only use the RR1 on special occasions like when I am bored as in this case. I could always screw a #4 on it and a high comp head....heh heh. Bet that would be fun.

Anyway I will be going 35'
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:41 am

John Goddard wrote:Pon ma Soul you're looking good Ron.
The RR1 sounds wicked.
Very Happy

That was more of a fun fly. That RR1 was burning a hole in my engine case. Since the Wizard has the stunting ability of a Russet potato I figured it was a safe platform for a speed run with the RR1.

It runs really well though, I wish I had a couple more RR1 back ends so I could build some real screamers.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:08 am

Ken Cook wrote: Ron, the problem with Ringmaster's is the design of the wing. I'm assuming you have the Brodak version and I can't comment on it due to never building it. One thing I can comment on is the way most the kits that he put out has been redesigned. I'm not a particular fan of glued up trailing edges or built up leading edges. In either situation, the trailing edge tapers coming together in the center on a mitre. That joint now becomes the sacrificial element of the wing design. It happens with the larger Ring as well. The solution is, fiberglass that joint with a strip of lightweight glass and epoxy not just CA. I know you've mentioned you don't have any. I could send you some if you would prefer. Another option is to use a strip of drywall tape, (fiberglass mesh tape) and iron on the tape enveloping the joint and onto the sheeting. I thin yellow glue down 40% approx and brush it onto the mesh with an acid brush. An even simpler method would be to lay some carbon tow across the joint either installed with thin CA or thinned white glue running parallel with the leading edge spanning 1" or 2" across the joint each way. These methods are light and also are virtually undetectable covered in Monokote. The problem is the momentum generated when the plane hits the ground, everything wants to go forward and once this happens you have a two fold break due to the leading edge breaking as well. Ken

Same for the Litlle Jumping Bean on those joints. Both the front and the rear got a wrap of epoxy coated fiberglass tape on mine. Also epoxy'd a strip of 1/16" craft plywood on the inside of the wing of that trailing edge joint. I also blocked/braced the wingtips, as well as the wing ribs where they meet both the trailing edge and leading edge. All those meeting points looked very tenative at best to me. So I blocked and braced with balsa square stock here and there.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down