Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:28 pm

Nice Kim! One of these days I'll have to try my hand at Control Line Smile
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  Kim Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:34 pm

WingingIt74 wrote:Nice Kim! One of these days I'll have to try my hand at Control Line Smile

You Should !!!!!!!!!!! Much as I love the no-strings-attached discipline....the simplicity of basic circle-twirling allows me a lot more slack in the area of "let's chop that off and glue this on and see what happens"!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:41 pm

My fabricating skills aren't that great though. I'm better at fixing things then building them...... heck I still have a E-flite Bonanza ARF that I started a couple years ago that I haven't gotten back to yet Embarassed

edit: I just found out it had been discontinued.... and I don't have it built yet.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:54 pm

WingingIt74 wrote:My fabricating skills aren't that great though. I'm better at fixing things then building them...... heck I still have a E-flite Bonanza ARF that I started a couple years ago that I haven't gotten back to yet Embarassed

edit: I just found out it had been discontinued.... and I don't have it built yet.

OK...back up a few posts and take a good look at Epoxy Bomb....the term: "Fabricate" is quite generous when applied to this flying slab !!!!!

Betting you could crank out three or four of these per night if you got extra blades for your box-knife !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:57 pm

LOL... I'm trying to get my jeep back on the road for a poker run Saturday Smile Tonight should be the last I see of the underside of the Jeep for awhile. Not sure when I'll find time to start the Stagger Bee I just bought either lol!
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:37 am

Just sent this to another Forum Member and thought I'd post it here...just in case some of you guys have an excess of balsa laying around!!!!!!!!!!!:

"Epoxy Bomb" is basically an enlarged version of the one of the little flying plank combat planes marketed by Riley Wooten back in the early 1960's.

As a 13 year-old, I went built and flew a Lil' Bomb 'till it literally came apart. A few years ago, I built a replica of Lil' Bomb and still liked it, but wanted something that would fly a bit slower to match my aging reflexes.

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Lil_bo10

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 3_20

I basically enlarged Lil' Bomb 'till it came out to just under 21" in span, and used two sheets of fairly heavy 3/16 sheet. The biggest problem (and I should have easily seen it coming) was getting the CG up close to the leading edge where it belongs. I've had to extend the engine mount with hardwood blocks and it still needs a chunk of lead to get it to track nicely...the price I pay for my little "Right-Brain / Left Brain" battles...

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 1_21

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 2_24

I've got balsa for another version, and intend to build it with just two rudders and shortened elevator pylons, and also trim the wing chord to a slightly narrower width (the red line on the photo).

If you build it, I'd recommend shortening the elevator pylons by half, or even just hinging the elevator to the trailing edge to make balancing the thing a bit easier.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:24 am

Sometimes, you've just got to acknowledge your short-comings in certain areas...like-say...you might just never be a World Champion Pole-Sitter, or Watermelon Seed Spitter.

And, SOMETIMES, you just got to acknowledge that you MIGHT not be able to make a design work out as you envisioned...no matter the depth of you irrational passion.  So is the case of myself and my Epoxy Bomb.

Tail heavy as all get-out, refusing to fit in my launching stooge, and just generally cantankerous from the outset, I had to take drastic measures to force it join my flyable fleet.

UP CRANKS THE FAITHFUL TABLE SAW...and Epoxy Bomb looses it's butt !!!  

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 1_31

With a deft swipe across a device that has sent many a rednecks' fingers a-flying, my pudgy little flying board suddenly looks a LOT more rakish !!!

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 3_29

I would LIKE to offer some impressive, technical theories as to why I positioned Epoxy Bomb's engine at such a cool slant, but the ugly truth is that I was running out of drillable space on it's much-perforated firewall, and was just too lazy to chop it off and epoxy another in it's place.

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 2_36

So, it may have lost a bit of it's character, but it will hopefully also lose a lot of accumulated hangar dust in the process !!!

Video to follow !!!!

Last edited by Kim on Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:11 pm

Okay, we'll see how that goes. It'll probably work. Bye the way, Surfer Kris has an engine mounted at an angle sorta like that and I've seen a stunter or two like that too. Something about the fuel flow up the bypasses. Maybe you can read back and find something you can authoritatively recite when folks ask you about it. lol! 

Also, i'd forgotten about this when Ken was teaching me how to stitch hinges:
Ken Cook wrote:            Rusty, if you do decide to stitch the stab I therefore trim 1/4" off the elevator and stab and glue a 1/4" basswood strip back onto the halves as this is very strong and prevents tear out not to mention provides resistance against warping. Ken
I'll put that on my to-do list next time I'm in a sewing mood. Thanks Ken for yet another great idea.

Go getum' Kim. Patrick on 50 foot lines and the epoxy bomb. Can't wait!
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:51 pm

So.. you've got a 4" wing chord now, that works out to around 83-84 squares? Try running a L/H prop if you have one. You won't need as much (if any) outboard tip weight... and the model shouldn't "come-in" on you.. unless it's real breezy.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:14 pm

Epoxy Bomb!!!!

Fly it like you stole it. That's the best way to see  Shocked 

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 Empty re: Nose heavy epoxy bomb

Post  happydad Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:28 pm

Kim wrote:Sometimes, you've just got to acknowledge your short-comings in certain areas...like-say...you might just never be a World Champion Pole-Sitter, or Watermelon Seed Spitter.

And, SOMETIMES, you just got to acknowledge that you MIGHT not be able to make a design work out as you envisioned...no matter the depth of you irrational passion.  So is the case of myself and my Epoxy Bomb.

Tail heavy as all get-out, refusing to fit in my launching stooge, and just generally cantankerous from the outset, I had to take drastic measures to force it join my flyable fleet.

UP CRANKS THE FAITHFUL TABLE SAW...and Epoxy Bomb looses it's butt !!!  

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 1_31

With a deft swipe across a device that has sent many a rednecks' fingers a-flying, my pudgy little flying board suddenly looks a LOT more rakish !!!

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 3_29

I would LIKE to offer some impressive, technical theories as to why I positioned Epoxy Bomb's engine at such a cool slant, but the ugly truth is that I was running out of drillable space on it's much-perforated firewall, and was just too lazy to chop it off and epoxy another in it's place.

Epoxy Bomb Goes Under the Knife...er...OVER The Table Saw !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 2 2_36

So, it may have lost a bit of it's character, but it will hopefully also lose a lot of accumulated hangar dust in the process !!!

Video to follow !!!!

Kim: Have you ever considered lightening holes? 1/2inch to 3/4inch diameter hole bore thru the elevator and/or the trailing edge of the wing to lighten the back edge of the plane. Of course you would have to cover the wing then.

edited 7-27-14 10:25p.m. PST
happydad

RC Plane Futaba Radio   RC Plane

Last edited by happydad on Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to correct grammar)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:59 pm

Hey HD!

Looks like this latest hack-job has brought The Epoxy Bomb pretty close to being in balance !!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:37 am

Kim I  like the way the engine is mounted on a crook , and since you cut the butt off and lost some of the rudder action. I hope see fly's well for you ....I've been thinking about some easy build for a med. size , something I can get on on longer lines and not take me for ever to build  lol! Getback Hey did you glue that tank on ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:06 am

getback wrote:Kim I  like the way the engine is mounted on a crook , and since you cut the butt off and lost some of the rudder action. I hope see fly's well for you ....I've been thinking about some easy build for a med. size , something I can get on on longer lines and not take me for ever to build  lol! Getback  Hey did you glue that tank on ?

Yeah...figured this circle turner could do without a couple fins !!!
I have yet to go the Coroplast Route, so a slab 'o wood and troweled-on epoxy finish is about as quick as it can get for me !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:54 am

I bet it took a whole can of acetone or alcohol to clean yourself up after that epoxy job. lol! 

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 am

RknRusty wrote:I bet it took a whole can of acetone or alcohol to clean yourself up after that epoxy job. lol! 

The epoxy went away fairly quickly...the "Ghost Aroma" lingered for a while though !!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2