Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 Cox_ba12

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 Empty
Live on Patrol

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 Empty Re: My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:25 pm

RknRusty wrote:Phil, yours looks great. If you want to, you can take a sharp sewing needle and puncture the bubbles and press them out. But after a flight or two I usually quit fretting over the little things, and everyone doesn't see the flaws that I do. You probably already said, but what size is yours? Is there a Ringmaster that would work well with a Tee Dee .09? I have one I need a plane for. If it's as fun to fly as you mention, then it might be what I want.

Rusty,

The Jr. Ringmaster is .09-.19 sized and a beam mount, 30" span and 200sq. I have plans if needed. Also it's kitted by Brodak and Pat King. If you wish to go that route.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 Empty Re: My Swap-Meet Ringmaster ! Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection Begins!!

Post  RknRusty Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:02 pm

The .09 is the minimum engine, so I may need a bit smaller plane for snappy performance. I'll keep an eye out, but I figured it was worth asking. It won't be my next build, but not too far down the list, after the RR1 plane. Thanks.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:31 pm

The Baby ringmaster would be quite happy being pulled by an 049. I think there is one that will be coming my way from my parents, but I am not sure.

Here's the pic. There is a lot of repaired physical damage in this area, much better repair work than the tail. The sides of the tank are glued quite well with what looks like Ambroid or something similar.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12060211.jpg
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12060211

I plan to recoat the seams with Testors cement after I fit the engine. All the bare looking wood will get Testors cement rubbed in, and maybe paint if I can come up with a fair match that I can brush.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:49 am

Remember the engines size required for the Jr Ring was old school engines. This is an old design and in my opinion doesn't fly as well as the larger Ring. It really suffers from the thin wing and small squares. Rusty, if this plane was replaced with better quality wood like in a Pat King kit, you could fly this size plane with a .061. The Jr builds nose heavy and even using a older engine like a Fox.15 which was common back then it still builds nose heavy and it's a light engine. The TD .09 would work due to having more than enough power and it's weight is light. These planes like fast. I had 2 Jr's one was powered by a OS FP .10 and the other was an Enya .15. The Enya was great under power, when it quit however you had a nice Monokote lawn dart.

The (Sterling) Jr Ring has what I refer to as the " Rib Ripper" spar. This is the rectangular spar in the middle of the ribs that I was saying to omit in one of my prior posts. I can't throw that piece of wood out fast enough. For one, it's orientated within the Jr Ring the incorrect way as it's not utilizing the strength of the wood due to it not being up on edge. In the event of a crash, certain things are quite typical with the Ringmaster's The nose either breaks off at the leading edge, which is why I extend my doublers back to the high point of the wing. The fuse also breaks directly at the rear of the wing due to the weight of the tail feathers whipping over. The wings also separate at the trailing edge connection and breaks your leading edge. This is where the "Rib Ripper" comes into the picture. Even though the damage doesn't look bad on the outside, the damage that occurs when the wing separates breaks all the ribs glued to that useless spar.

I extended my Jr Ring fuse 2" to the rear. This improved the nose heavy condition and also it's turning ability. The TD .09 would be a suitable engine due to no muffler and it's weight. I've been always fond of Roy Clough's "Stunt Goat" which was featured in Flying Models which was designed and built for the TD .09. Good article to read and the article gives some good tips to improve fuel draw through tank mods and designs. One of my club members, Dan just built a .15 size Magician which is powered by a Norvel .061. Terrific flying plane. Dan however is a freeflight builder as well and generally builds lighter than anyone in the club. Rule of thumb is that when a kit calls for a certain group size of engines, go for the larger. Also keep in mind when they were designed and what engines were available at that given time. A loop scavenged engine is truthfully no match for a modern Schnuerle ported engine and that's what was available at the time the Jr was made. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:58 am

Good stuff, thanks Ken. I do remember your post about the rib ripping spar.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:04 pm

I missed answering a question

The previous owner bought this plane, the unfinished wing and some other stuff at auction, it had a .35 (I want to say Fox) on it. He then stripped the small stuff off such as engines, etc, and sold that on Ebay. He could not rationalize trashing the airframe, and shipping on an airframe is rather pricy due to volume so he listed it on Craigslist.

I will see what my Dad has that I can use and he is willing to part with. I am running short of storage space in this house for airplanes though... This house has almost no attic space.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

I have one polite carp at Ken and others here.... You guys post way to many good hints and kinks in the middle of threads. Ken the remaking of a tin fuel tank with center through bolt is excellent idea.

phenominal how much I still learn from others

I guess it is on me to remember this stuff when I build or explain to a young-un. Damn getting old sux
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:18 pm

I should've explained that I used a piece of brake line material. It's a bit more durable than brass. If I did use brass, I would probably oversize it a bit so that the threads of the screw won't vibrate and cut through it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:07 pm

Maybe I should have started a new topic...sorry.
This ain't wonderland Alice.
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080210
What an UGLY little door...

The .35 from my Dad is a bust. There were a couple Mccoy's not on airplanes, a Fox 19 NIB, and an interesting 049. I left all the loose engines behind. I will be back in a few weeks to clean and re-insulate this space.

I did return with 2 more ringmasters, a Baby with a Cox 049, and a Jr sans engine, with a decoration scheme that my brothers, parents and I agree *I* did, but I don't have clear memory of building this model. I think it was an experiment in film coverings right when I was starting into RC gliders. I may have the engine that was originally on the Jr here already, converted to RC. I can convert it back, not trivial but quite easy.
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080211
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12080211.jpg
Fallen insulation from the roof job last winter (I get to be the insulation installer again!)
gonna attempt clockwise...
The large warbird is one of my Dad's combat airplanes. The yellow and blue elevator and horizontal stab barely visible is a Baby Ringmaster with a larger Cox TD on it. The red wingtips on white wing is my oldest brother's (1) Jr Ringmaster. The red with 049 is my older brother's (2) unknown. The large fuselage is my Dad's RC Cub(?) that he never flew. The white wing with black fuse and trim is the Baby Ringmaster with Cox engine I brought home. The white wings with blue fuse and elevator, red nose, cox engine is my oldest brother's (1). (I am the youngest of 3)

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080212
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12080212.jpg
another of my Dad's combat airplanes with a typical franken-plane graft. A stack of model rockets.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080213
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12080213.jpg
Cox 049. Does not currently rotate under finger power. Left alone for now. Dad says it was on his first RC airplane. After the airframe was rebuilt a few times he gave up on RC.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080214
what a mess...

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080215
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12080215.jpg
Tether car?
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080216
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12080216.jpg
I don't ever remember running a tether car...

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080217
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12080217.jpg
The flames and the spider look like something I would have done 20 years ago. I don't specifically remember building a Ringmaster Jr, but apparently I did. I did build a lot of models about that time.

I also brought home some cables of unknown lengths, a control handle, and extra parts to my Fox15.

My parents won an auction and brought home a literal truckload (Chevy Blazer, seat folded up, filled neatly) of models, kits, engines, and whatnot about 20 or 25 years ago, maybe a bit more. The Baby ringmaster is from this auction.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Holy crap Phil,

What a goldmine of cool stuff.

If you are interested in selling a Baby Ring or the Jr. Let me know.

Wow!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 am

"Goldmine" is right!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:46 am

What surprised me is I did not find any of my Mom's airplanes. I think the two loose Mccoy engines were from her planes, but I am not sure. I'll ask when I am helping with the insulation and cleaning.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:45 pm

pkrankow wrote: My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 12080213
https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/84/87/39/12080213.jpg
Cox 049. Does not currently rotate under finger power. Left alone for now. Dad says it was on his first RC airplane. After the airframe was rebuilt a few times he gave up on RC.

Phil

Phil,
That Cox engine is a 1953-1954 Space Bug Junior. The moulded fuel pickup is opposite the needle so it does appear to be in an "RC" configuration. To use it for CL you would rotate the backplate so the needle is inside the circle.
It has a spinner nut instead of the original Acorn nut. Replacement Acorn nuts are available from Cox International.
It seems to have the smaller glow head, which is VERY scarce. If it is burned out you may need to switch both the glow head and cylinder.
They are very user-friendly engines. Good luck with it.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:09 pm

Got the fuel tank adjusted and locked into place, and the hatch epoxied on. Now, the "mummification process" begins.

Hopefully, the Ringmaster's stint "under wraps" will not compare with King Tut's !

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 48_10

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 46_10

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 47_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:26 pm

The wings look nice, but that covering on the fuselage could use a little shrinkage. Very Happy Sorta reminds me of my planes.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:33 pm

andrew wrote:The wings look nice, but that covering on the fuselage could use a little shrinkage. Very Happy Sorta reminds me of my planes.

Durn Wrinkles....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:45 pm

andrew wrote:The wings look nice, but that covering on the fuselage could use a little shrinkage. Very Happy Sorta reminds me of my planes.
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 Laugh-1

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:00 pm

Dang Kim Hurry up!

Just kidding, just eager to see the completed Super Ringmaster!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Finally ! A free day, 50+ degrees, and fairly low humidity...though with a breeze that would make March proud. STILL...it's PAINT TIME !!!

The trusty and ancient Sears air-compressor gasps to life, helping my Badger Detail Gun expel left-over bits of paint from it's gullet.

A wild-cat guess at the proper ratio of Mr. Brodak's liquid gold products, a warning to Patrick (who just showed up to be part of the glory) to stand aside and off we went!

Leaving the fuse masked and covered, I hit the wings with "Lemon Yellow" and must have gotten close to the proper thinner/paint ratio as the Badger was able to lay down a reasonable swath.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 49_10

A couple coats on each wing panel, and a break while the dope dried, and the Badger got a hosing with thinner.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 50_10

I took a chance on the fresh dope being "tape friendly" and re-masked the wing for the next color coat.

Then Mr. Brodak's can of Caribbean Turquoise was popped open with a deft flick of a screwdriver, mixed with some thinner, shaken (not stirred), and a few minutes later, I had the Badger loaded and ready for action. I somehow managed to hang onto the Ringmaster in the the 20 mph gusts, and got what, by my standards, was a pretty even coat, with no straw stem or other debris embedded in the finish.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 51_10

A little bit of a wait, and then came the big moment!

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 52_10

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 53_10

I think the Caribbean Turquoise matched the original quite well, and am a pretty happy camper at the moment! Some of the original paint DID come off with the masking tape (Don't leave it stuck on so long, dummy!), but I'll seal it with a touch-up brush.

"Step Back, Big Boy !!!!"
My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 54_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:32 pm

Very nice work. That's a big ol' tall engine poking out of the nose there.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:01 pm

Boy howdy that is a sweet looking plane now!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Bang up job Kim!!! Looks really good. I saw one of those NIB today! Drool.....
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:39 pm

way to go idaho! looks great!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 am

It's tough to beat the looks of the classic paint jobs. Very nicely done!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks Guys! A little more detail stuff, and this old/new dog will be ready go.

Since it takes me a hour and a half to assemble my painting gear and re-teach myself to use it, while it's all laying out and around, I think I'm gonna try to get some color dope on my Uncle Wayne's Goldberg 'Buster' this week as well.

My Swap-Meet Ringmaster !  Smack Down!!!! The Resurrection  Begins!! - Page 4 8_11

I wish there was some way for a bunch of us to get together this Spring, and crank these things up as a group !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next