Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"! Cox_ba12

Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"! Empty
Live on Patrol

Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"!

Go down

Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"! Empty Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"!

Post  Kim Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:40 am

I've been converting some of my old tape video to digital and came across this episode from New Years Day, 2000. It's pretty grainy, but still entertaining for me remembering the fun of flying with people who were every bit as "Off-Center" as myself !

We don't have a lot of bluffs close by that are sailplane-friendly, and so make do with the hundreds of miles of flood-control levees that crisscross this part of the country.

The cool thing is that, no matter the direction of the wind, it's fairly easy to find a stretch that gives you a 90 degree angle to it!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"! Empty Re: Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"!

Post  pkrankow Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:56 am

That is cool, I was never that good even though I got long air times when I went slope gliding.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"! Empty Re: Old Slope Soaring Footage..."You Uses what You Gots"!

Post  RknRusty Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:09 am

So That's what slope soaring is. I had imagined guys throwing them off the side of a mountain. I was wondering how often they lost them. Thanks for converting the old tapes and entertaining us, Kim.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:56 am

Well, a mountain is certainly preferred...if you have one handy! To quote the Great Dave Thornburg's wonderful 'Old Buzzard's Soaring Book' though..."You can Slope Soar a fresh grave, provided the wind is just right" !

The other requirement, at least for our levee flying, is a fairly flat stretch upwind of the slope to let the air get somewhat stabilized and laminar BEFORE encountering the slope.

This is why shoreline cliffs are considered some of the best locations for this type of flying: Miles of flat surface, with an abrupt rise creating slope lift. I used to pack along a hand launch sailplane (and a compliment of assorted lead ballast packs) whenever I'd travel, and take advantage of any handy spot that seemed inviting.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:29 pm

RknRusty wrote:So That's what slope soaring is. I had imagined guys throwing them off the side of a mountain. I was wondering how often they lost them.

Here's a video of dynamic soaring; these guys are nuts since a hit would be like a blow from a Samuri sword made from carbon fiber. This one is on the edge of a mountain with a huge valley funneling the air up the slope. Clocked a paltry 392 mph; the second one whacked out 468 mph. The plane is so fast that the frame rate of the camera or the photographer is too slow to pick it up --- turn up the volume and you can hear it making passes. Notice in the second video that the folks clocking the speed are packed in behind a rock wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaQB16ZaNI4&noredirect=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfoxjNg-eg0
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Bomdiggity !!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:16 pm

Nice flying Kim!

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:35 pm

I don't think the old BOT would survive the dynamic soaring exercise, but it sure does handle the levies well. That loop would have been a little close for comfort for me.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Nice flying Kim!

Thanks Ron. We had a lot of fun on our levees. Most of my buds are scattered now. Alan lives in Louisville...think he flies with a club there.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:18 pm

andrew wrote:I don't think the old BOT would survive the dynamic soaring exercise, but it sure does handle the levies well. That loop would have been a little close for comfort for me.

Heck, the B.O.T. wouldn't have survived that launch into 60 mph+ gusts ! It IS a survivor though...14 years and counting ! The poor ole dog is a Swap Meet Glider I found with a busted wing t the meet in Belleville, Illinois in 1998 or so.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down