Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Diesel Bomber Still Not working... Cox_ba12

Diesel Bomber Still Not working... Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Diesel Bomber Still Not working... Empty
Live on Patrol

Diesel Bomber Still Not working...

Go down

Diesel Bomber Still Not working... Empty Diesel Bomber Still Not working...

Post  RUDiesel Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:02 pm

Hi, I originally asked questions and posted previously called "Starting a Diesel for the First time Tips and for Breaking in"

At this point, I have bought a Cox 049 Diesel Bomber, with an 8x4 prop. The Bomber has a spring to help start.

I have created my own fuel mix about with ether/heptane (starting fluid from the gas station), castor oil, and some Cetane booster from the auto shop. The starting fluid contains about 30% ether, rest heptane (since heptane acts as the kerosene).

I began with the compression all the way out and the needle valve 3 turns out from closed and primed by adding drops into the side of the piston, while it is all the way up and then winding up the propeller and releasing. If it didnt start, I turned the compression in just a little and tried again. Every now and then I would re-prime the engine using the description above. In the end, the compression was all the way in and no starting. Even moved the needle valve to about 3 1/2 turns somewhere in there too but no start.

I did smell it ignite the fuel at a few compressions, but the engine did not start. I also tried moving the needle valve to closed while the compression screw was all the way in, but the engine still did not start.

In addition, I bought 40% nitro fuel and tried the same method (3 turns on the needle beginning with the compression all the way out) and no starting. This is because it was recommended on the Cox website.

The starter spring came out of its position too and had to keep putting it back. Tried using tape to hold it, but the fuel dissolved it!

If you have any tips to help me start this diesel I would appreciate it. It is a brand new engine and I would like to get it started.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I want to make sure that it is clear exactly what I am doing in case I am doing something wrong.

Appreciate the help in advance. I am very new to these engines so in your responses, please be very clear and explain things simply. I am still learning the terminology.

Thanks
Anonymous
RUDiesel

Back to top Go down

Diesel Bomber Still Not working... Empty Re: Diesel Bomber Still Not working...

Post  pkrankow Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:15 pm

From everything I have read about diesels, you flooded it when you primed it. I have been reading, but have never tried a diesel so find a grain of rock salt to take my summery with.

http://carlsonengineimports.net/FAQ.html

In the second half of this FAQ (below the table) it recommends bench testing by disconnecting the fuel tank, and priming with a "couple drops" of fuel in the intake, NOT the cylinder. It also says it is written for a .15 engine, so this isn't a lot of fuel, even less for a .049.

It should run briefly when you get the compression in the ball park, and after re-priming through the intake it should run briefly, again, without changing anything. Then the document says how to set the needle.

This isn't the only place I read to
* prime through the intake
* start with an empty tank or fuel line disconnected to verify or set compression
* diesel engines use about 1/2 the fuel as glow for a given displacement
it is just the only one I bookmarked...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 pm

I think a lot of people break them in with nitro glow fuel, but this is with a glow head in place of the diesel head. After it's run-in and loosened up, you can go back to your diesel head and fuel. When you mentioned glow fuel and adjusting compression in the same sentence, I thought maybe you didn't realize this.
40% is some really high nitro. Make sure it has plenty of castor oil in it if you use that fuel.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 pm

I have never messed with a diesel......

That said, I took your post the same way Rusty took it. I assume you are using a glow head with the glow fuel?

Seems to me to run a diesel all you would need is fuel and compression. If you have compression then you may want to take a look at your fuel. Eliminate possibilities one step at a time.

Keep posting, eventually we will help figure this out.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ekitten2 Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:54 pm

i dont claim to be proficent with diesels but ive had an run a few in my time

firstly the fuel ...either needs to be 100% either not 30%mixed with something else
either only reduses the flash point of the fuel so it can start easier

fuel...here in australia we use either diesel fuel...or kerrosine

oil is usaly caster or caster based depending on manufacturs requirements

the mix/ratio i use is 1/3 of each of equal parts

ekitten2
ekitten2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RUDiesel Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 am

To answer a previous question, I did not try to run the engine using a glow head when using the glow fuel. I did not know I would need to. Since the flash point is lower, I thought it wouldn't matter much anyways.

Another poster mentioned priming through the intake port by disconnecting the fuel line. I'd also read this and the side of the piston, and since it is a pain to get the fuel line back on again, I had figured this would be easier. Also, wouldn't priming the engine be difficult since the fuel intake is at the bottom of the engine? And it's a small port too.

On a side note, with the fuel line on, I had tried with my squirt bottle to squirt fuel into the fuel line but very little went in and it was quite difficult to get it there too. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue. The fuel line is the diesel fuel line sold from the Cox website.

At the moment, I have no fuel "tank" per se. I was intending on using the small squirt bottle as the fuel "tank" and having it gravity feed into the bottom of the engine via the fuel tubing.
Anonymous
RUDiesel

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:13 am

It sounds like there is something wrong with your fuel, just buy a commercial, ready mixed, fuel and use that until you get a feel for it.
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cox International Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:31 am

First, diesel engines are not for the faint of heart as they can be quite difficult to start for a novice.

Secondly, it is absolutely recommended, especially for a novice, to break in the engine with glow fuel (nitro based), using a nitro glow head (using the diesel head will not work).

Third, proper diesel fuel must be used. It is not that one cannot deviate from the recommended mix but, if a diesel novice, it is best to experience some running time with the proper fuel mixt first before experimenting.

Lastly, a proper tank setup is highly recommended to begin with before experimenting with alternate fuel supply setups.
Cox International
Cox International
Top Poster
Top Poster

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.coxengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  robot797 Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:51 am

i know i am late for this topic

buy i would still drop my info

open the engine
and look at the reed
mine (one with the purple head) had a double reed and would not start becaus of that

maybe its to late but hey that is my advice
robot797
robot797
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down