Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Cox_ba12

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty
Live on Patrol

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's?

Go down

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's?

Post  pmek5 Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:23 am

This has been hanging in my old room at my parents house for about 40 yrs. I decided I wanted to find out who made this helicopter. I thought it was Estes since I was doing the rockets at the same time as I remember. I bought the Cox .020 Pee Wee engine at the only toy store we had in our small town at that time. There are no markings on this helicopter. Not even a "Made in the USA". Kinda of unusual. I have Googled everything I could think of, but could not find a single pic of this model. Thanks for your help.

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? 2013-01-13_13-48-39_946
Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? 2013-01-13_13-48-50_375
pmek5
pmek5

Back to top Go down

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty Heli

Post  londke3 Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 pm

I had one identical to that in the early 70's. Same color same motor. I don't remember where we got it or who made it. I do remember that it flew well and we had alot of fun with it. I always assumed it was a Cox model and I tried to research it but came up empty. Someone out there knows. Mike
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty Re: Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's?

Post  RknRusty Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 am

It looks like the engine lifts it off. It's platform must be locked in that direction keeping the engine and heli blades from spinning. And then when it shuts off, it counter rotates back down in free-flight with the whole engine platform turning with the helicopter blades. Did I get that right?

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty Heli

Post  londke3 Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:27 pm

The way it works is the engine and blades spin together. Nothing is locked. The body is really for show, it just spins opposite the propeller. The propeller provides all the lift while the lead weights on the blades provide stability. The blades pivot on the wire they are attached to, IE they can change pitch. They are pitched one way on the ascent and reverse pitch after the engine quits for autorotation back to the ground. They come down pretty fast but as long as it lands on grass it usually wont break. Ours only broke when it landed on an asphalt road. Mike
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty Found the maker of this model

Post  londke3 Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Check out this link. It says it was made by the tried and tru toy co. It also has pictures of the original box. Mike http://www.ebay.com/itm/271217497135?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty Re: Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's?

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Well, the original poster only has the one post and that was in January. Let's hope he sees this. Good find!!!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pmek5 Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:24 am

That's very interesting. Thanks for posting that.
pmek5
pmek5

Back to top Go down

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty I had one of those.

Post  kevbo Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Duplicate post removed.

Last edited by kevbo on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevbo
kevbo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Can you tell me who made this Model from the early 70's? Empty I had one of those.

Post  kevbo Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:43 pm

Estes sold them under their own name for a while. I bought mine via a little fill-in-the blank advert/order form. (man the internet makes buying simple!) Perhaps they were reselling Tried & True, or maybe Estes bought them out so they could run them into the ground like they did to Cox.

The Estes version came as a kit of parts, supply your own pee-wee. I think maybe the T&T version came RTF with an engine, but that is just a WAG. The Estes instructions had you drill a 1/16" hole in front of the tank for venting, then you put a loop of fuel tubing over the filler pipes to fly it.

The pee-wee would not make enough power to fly it in Denver. Maybe if I had known about high nitro fuel. Mine didn't survive too many flight attempts. The fuel tended to degrade the plastic, especially where the glue had solvent welded it. I wanted that thing to fly in the worst way. A few years later I bought the cox sky-copter, and found it to also be unable to rise out of ground effect.

That pee-wee ended up on a Goldberg Ranger 30 FF. I had no way to measure the fuel, so I typically just topped it up to the hole from the helicopter fiasco. That sucker would get really high if it missed the ground on the first stall recovery (trimmed perfect for glide, but would stall under power....probably needed more downthrust on the engine.) Wonder I never lost it. I'd fly it on calm summer evenings, so fortunately it never found a thermal. My flying site at a big wetland in the middle. I remember the skeeters were fierce!
kevbo
kevbo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down