Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Cox_ba12

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Empty
Live on Patrol

micro Servo substitute=musclewire

Go down

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Empty micro Servo substitute=musclewire

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:09 am

I ran out of time on my project list so I throw this question out there: has anybody else heard of or experimented with musclewire?
If not, look up musclewire on youtube and see if you can get more accomplished than I have. I never got any to experiment with, and have no clue as to what the parrameters are but it seems as though there may be little or no adaptation necessary to replace micro servos with this depending on electrical requirements it requires to work
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Empty Re: micro Servo substitute=musclewire

Post  pkrankow Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:37 am

It is temperature active memory metal
http://www.musclewires.com/index.php

The simple heat motor spring says it activates just below body temperature.

I am unsure how well this would work in an environment that is not climate controlled. That said, there are plenty of ultra light indoor opportunities.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Us indoor guys have been using TOKI musclewire servos for years as an alternative to actuators on larger models where weight is critical, but these days with conventional servos under 1 gram, i really dont see a need for the muscle wire servos.

Tons of threads and info on them at RCG.
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Empty not in the loop

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:47 pm

I must have missed out on all that but I`m not up on all the news. I just got my first indoor plane,a micro fokker DR-1 but only got it out of the box to looky lol
I only fly micro/nano heli`s indoors,still prefer glow to electric and can`t get onto the idea of 2.4G or bind n fly yet,my lightest servos are 3g I think. But I did buy my first and second electric planes in the last year so thats progress right? but no,I can`t get a 2.4 to bind up ,I have to take it to the LHS and ask them to do it. Honestly, both my cp helis need to be done again for some reason they provide reverse trust like flying inverted so I have to hold the stunt button the whole flight while not inverted etc.
On the bright side,I did put the LHS on the track of researching muscle wire for use as servos replacements that they never heard of until last month.

I can`t build a plane light enough even with those 3g servos to fly with a TD010 on it but they do crash most excellent. No, transparent monokote type films are the lightest covering I have ever tried,not even silk/dope,just monokote type iron on like was popular in the 1980`s. Yes I tried the littlest stick and the clancy aviation "little plane that could" that Andy Clancy designed for the 010,but my friend built 2 010 planes for me that flew just fine.
thats where I thoght the muscle wire might help me out a bit. I figured it may function just as a servo does under the same "servo output loads" so maybe I could manage a 010 powered flying wing such as convert the radical r/c wicked wing from electric to 010 or 020 at the utmost.

But servos under 1g you say Huh... and in the mirror I now point the finger and say DAMMIT! at the face I see lol!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:27 pm

Im an indoor/micro type of modeler, 90% of my builds are under 10 grams, with the lightest being under 1 gram.. subgram plane.

Im currently working on a 24 inch ws plane for the 010, its the biggest plane ive built in 10 years.

The parkzone micro linear 1.5 gram servos, could easily be brought down to under 1 gram with a few simple mods, then you got the hobbyking 1.6 grams "standard type" servos that could also be brought down to under one gram, the toki biometal servos are 0.8 grams, the mechanical servos could be modified to 0.5 grams.

I wouldnt use a servo under 2 grams for a 010 plane, they have very little torque, especially the muscle wire versions, with the speed of most 010 planes its asking for trouble imo. They are best suited for ultralight slow flying planes.
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Colored tissue from the wrapping paper store with 1 coat of clear dope is as light as it gets. Lots of fun. Put the tissue on with thinned white glue on the wood and water on the tissue, then after dried and taunted with the water put 1 coat of clear dope on for fuel-proofing.

If the airframe is heavy though, even the lightest covering won't make up for it. Hollow and perforated ribs, stick fuse, solid wood only where necessary, light balsa everywhere and "RC hard" only where absolutely needed.

Now, How on earth do you get an RC plane under 1 gram?

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 pm

With alot of patience Shocked
Its a simple 2 ch rudder/throttle. Build light, make your own gear, (motor/receiver) actuator for the rudder, mine is 956mg ready to fly, a rather crude effort compared to the other modelers, it took me forever to finish it, the current unofficial record is 224 mg (quarter gram) which i dont think will be beat for a long time Shocked if it does.. it will probably be by the same guy... Search rcgroups, in the indoor/micro forum, there are a handful of us.

[img]micro Servo substitute=musclewire 2ykjt6x[/img]

[img]micro Servo substitute=musclewire 35ix0sy[/img]

Sorry for the off topic post Embarassed
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Empty not @ all

Post  Jaspur_x Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 pm

Its all on topic, lightweight is lightweight which is where I was aiming with the topic anyway lol I read about some of those in Flying Models magazine from time to time but I`ll never go that far into electrics but modeling is modeling and most if not all modellers are friends in my eyes,the more the merrier,the more diverse the more overall growth and expansion can be achieved!!
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Jaspur_x wrote:modeling is modeling and most if not all modellers are friends in my eyes,the more the merrier,the more diverse the more overall growth and expansion can be achieved!!

Right on dude, agree 100% Beer Cheers
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:45 am

Wow.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Empty also

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:35 am

mx862 wrote:
Jaspur_x wrote:modeling is modeling and most if not all modellers are friends in my eyes,the more the merrier,the more diverse the more overall growth and expansion can be achieved!!

Hay I`m no polotician,I say if you can`t tell it like it is then just butt out and shush!! but especially in the case of those of us with common ground, we SHOULD just find a way to get along and respect eachother for our diferences and appreciate the differences because thats what keeps us all having the qualities than make us each unique in our own special ways and should be appreciated just as much as our common grounds that hold us togther
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Empty topic

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:27 pm

Jaspur_x wrote:
mx862 wrote:

Hay I`m no polotician,I say if you can`t tell it like it is then just butt out and shush!! but especially in the case of those of us with common ground, we SHOULD just find a way to get along and respect eachother for our diferences and appreciate the differences because thats what keeps us all having the qualities than make us each unique in our own special ways and should be appreciated just as much as our common grounds that hold us togther

Its a forum for moddelers so its all on topic in 1 way or another to one degree or another. Thought process is always caused by stimulus of some sort so to break it down the "topic" is the inspiration for whatever you think up so whatever you say its all actually on topic in your mind;who am I to argue or limit that.

On other peoples posts I try to respect and bear in mind the "focus" of the topic, but on my posts/topics, anything goes as far as I`m concerned so have at it I`ll never complain and thats on record now Hand Shake
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

micro Servo substitute=musclewire Empty LOL but true

Post  Jaspur_x Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:55 pm

pkrankow wrote:Wow.

Phil

Yeah, I get that a lot, moreso from women, and no offense but its recieved much more graciously and less awkwardly under those circumstances lol! but hay,I`m not judging Hand Shake

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOh, maybe you meant that little wonder of a plane............ummmm yeah I agree in that case Beer Cheers

My hats off to you man,I won`t even waste my time and money trying that because that would be most definately the only result to mention Reading
Jaspur_x
Jaspur_x
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Nitinol wire has been around for a while. Not much power out of it but it is cool stuff.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, i really appreciate it!

I like the micro stuff, the smaller the better, majority of modeling i do is on the mirco level, i was never into the large stuff, thats one of the reasons ive always loved the 010, dont see my self getting into anything bigger.

Ive thought of getting a nano bee, but i hear they wear out fast, so i will stick to the 010 for the time being.

Im using the BA 3.7 gram servos on my 010 build, the 3.7-2 gram servos are perfect for the 1/8A stuff, as mentioned before i wouldnt go with anything smaller.

Cheers. Beer Cheers
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

Mx, can you post a link to where I can read about building those micro planes, a forum maybe?
I searched and found some Japanese videos like the ones below. I learned from the comments that old cellphones are a good source of micro motors... for the vibrator, I guess.
Thanks,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Yes we were using the magnets from 4mm cell phone vibrator motors, to build single phase brushless motors (as in the first vid). Development of the sub gram class started in 2004. Back then things were more difficult as the hall sensor we use today wasnt around, and people had to strip the vibrator motors down to the bare bones to get them lightweight enough.

Here is some reading material... (warning) theres alot of info to process Affraid or WOW!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597279 some threads arent shown, searching will bring them up including mine.

Motor info here... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596219&highlight=brushless+motor+in+mg+rang

mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Looks like sub 10g can be done with off-the-shelf parts.

Hmm...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:49 pm

It sure can, gear is much cheaper these days also, the new deltang receivers will work with a dsm2 radio, no need for an external module.

Five years ago we were buying those airhogs livingroom fliers for the guts, IR tx/rx so range was short, but for 10 bucks.. you couldnt go wrong, i built a 4 gram 2ch 1/48th scale sopwith pup, that i flew in the living room. That plane lasted for 2 years before it finally fell apart from crashing into the wall/furniture/ me lol!
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:47 pm

Fascinating stuff. When I get to old to build in my shop and fly outside, I can roll around the geezer home chasing my gossamer creations, boinking the bald heads of all the other poor drooling slobs.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mx862 Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 pm

I enjoy flying indoors more than outdoors, no wind, no gawkers, and over opinionated lawn chair "scientists" lol! gear is cheap, builds are simple... not dependent on the weather... i love my indoor planes, had a few beers? fly in the living room! fun stuff. i still have a walkera 4#3B micro heli that i fly regularly after having a few... never would with my modified gaui 200 or my trex 500 heli. I learned that early on attempting 3d Affraid or WOW!
mx862
mx862
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down