Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

newbie starts collection need help Cox_ba12

newbie starts collection need help Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

newbie starts collection need help Empty
Live on Patrol

newbie starts collection need help

Go down

newbie starts collection need help Empty newbie starts collection need help

Post  RAMJETT Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:34 pm

Hello ,I have been flying giant scale for many years but one day I came across some pictures of a cox spitfire just like the one my dad purchased for me one Christmas when I was 11 years old(dark green camo) ,it brought back some good memories and I thought I would try to find one. Turned out to be quite the quest,man them things are hard to track down. . Well I think my search is over I found a guy that has a bunch of cox planes . he has 2x cox spitfires ,one is in a box / a cox corsair /2 pt trainers/1 miss america/2 cosmic winds/p-40/ and a jet looking plane all made by cox / all of them are 60s&70s . some have boxes and some don't . he also has a bunch of motors and gear and enough parts to make other planes . He wants $300 for the lot .it sounds fair to me but really I have no idea of the true value of these planes. is there anything I should be looking for or staying away from. Will be meeting him tomorrow morning .I am going with the (if they look pretty I am buying system) LOL, he said most were in very good condition but a coupple have been flown and show some wear .I am sure for the price I can't go wrong but would like to hear what you guys think .I will post pictures tomorrow . cheers Roger

Ok here they are I think I did pretty good . p-40 unused still has sticker on the prop ,amazing plane / corsair has been started but not flown / green spitfire new never started with box and papers but needs front part of windshield cracked beautiful plane/ pail blue spitfire never used as far as I can tell ,It does not appear to have been painted like he said but I have never seen this color he just figured it had been painted but you can tell it the color of the plastic ,also the wheels are plastic not rubber like the green one, looks older, super cool pilot figure ??/mustang is new, decals have not even been applied yet /2 cosmic winds some use but very clean and lots of extra parts, missing windshield for one/ pt19 missing engine & needs motor mount but otherwise very nice/ and the jet thing as he called it ,motor is stuck but no broken parts , he has new decals for all the planes .

How do I add pictures ?????

Last edited by RAMJETT on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
RAMJETT
RAMJETT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

newbie starts collection need help Empty Re: newbie starts collection need help

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Roger Ramjet Very Happy

Even if just a couple are NIB you can easily get a return on your money. If I had $300 to blow on those things I wouldn't even hesitate.

Pics will be helpful in determining value.

Ron

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:42 pm

I think your system of "if they look pretty..." sounds reasonable. Even if the engines feel stuck, that's not a problem, don't force them and we'll help you get them going. But then I expect you know all of those sorts of things as you're already a fuel plane flyer. I'll await your pictures. Good luck. Welcome to CEF. We discuss any types of engines and craft here, not just Cox.

As for learning to fly control line, if you aren't already experienced, you might be better off building an inexpensive balsa kit or two to learn with because the old plastic Cox models are not necessarily easy to fly, not very aerobatic, and can go from fun to slag in a painful flash.

Everything Cox can be found at two of our members' stores, plus many of our other members sell Cox bits.
http://coxengines.ca/
http://www.exmodelengines.com/

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

newbie starts collection need help Empty RE:newbie starts a collection

Post  66 Malibu Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 pm

Ditto..what Ron said...If any of them are mint you will more than likely make a nice profit on the lot if you decide to sell. But you will still have a great start on a pretty fun hobby for about the price of 5 tanks of gas..Well worth the risk in my opinion...
BTW you'll really enjoy this group........Steve
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:54 pm

Liking the Handle Roger?
Very Happy
I second what Ron says, the 7 you mention have to be worth that.
Even in 'basket case' condition they seldom go for less than 50 bucks a pop.
Very Happy
PS
No I can't count Pre coffee.
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RAMJETT Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 am

Thanks guys I figured with 10 planes it must be a good deal but I started getting that, sounds to good to be true feeling . wanted to make sure there were no $10 Chinese re-pops of these things that came out 10 years ago. as far as flying them I may just try the pt trainer for memory sake, from what I understand it's well flown and has many spares . I am sure I will have a ton of questions for you guys . like tips for flying and cleaning ,and what's the best gentle flier I could build to do some real flying. funny When I talked to the guy the first thing I asked was do you have a spitfire .This was the plane I was seeking and hoping for , he answered by telling me he had this beautiful custom spitfire What? . I don't know if he could tell I was cringing but he reluctantly told me how he had painted the plane blue . At this point with my head is hanging LOL. after finally finding what I was looking for the guy painted it Sad Goodbye . but then he tells me he has another one in a box that's still green Very Happy . . This is now getting like a emotional roller coaster LOL. pretty much blinded by the fact he had my spitfire I didn't much hear what else he was saying and agreed to take them all. I will post pictures later when I get home. thanks again guys for the guidance . cheers Roger
RAMJETT
RAMJETT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:35 am

Roger:

We'd enjoy the opportunity to assist you in the Cox hobby and any other adventures in model aviation you'd choose to pursue. There a wealth of experience here that you are certain to find helpful.

As noted above, old Cox planes are not particularlly good flyers and when they crash they are easilly damaged if not destroyed. There are any number of balsa planes that would make excellent trainers upon which to learn control-line flying. If you chose to go into radio-control we "do" that too.

Welcome to CECF! Enjoy. Very Happy

SuperDave

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RAMJETT Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:28 pm

I can fly remote control no problem there. My biggest plane is a 129" yak 54 zdz 210cc/ 2 Ef 110 with dle 111s / 2 ef 50 with dle55s /104 slick da100/108 " goldwing yak 55 eme 120 /and a bunch more. . what I am not sure of is how to fly these little things LOL ,last time I flew one I was 14 years old and I remember them being quite tricky. for sure I will just save these little guys . I would like to build a little balsa plane to try my hand at flying control line. my first question is how to upload pictures on this site. I have all the pictures re-sized and ready to go but this site is a little beyond my computer abilities . I will post them on rccanada.ca if you are interested in seeing them you can find them there .
RAMJETT
RAMJETT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down