Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What a rush! - flying at the churchyard Cox_ba12

What a rush! - flying at the churchyard Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What a rush! - flying at the churchyard Empty
Live on Patrol

What a rush! - flying at the churchyard

Go down

What a rush! - flying at the churchyard Empty What a rush! - flying at the churchyard

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 pm

I spent most of the day with my wife making a vegetable garden. Later chilling under the maple tree I realized here was a nice calm overcast day with almost no breeze and my 1/2A babies were hanging in the shop, all lonesome, feeling neglected and hating the interloping Shoestring. I got to thinking, if I put the slowest prop I have on a Baby Flite Streak I could get in a couple of flights on 35' lines over at the church yard.

So I chose the Streak with the Big Mig .061 since it's muffled, that's the 7.4 ouncer, put an APC 6x2.5 prop on it figuring all it'll do is beat air and move pretty slow, grabbed my gear and walked across the street and set up. My wife got our new next door neighbors, a young military couple, out on the porch to watch while I rigged up the 35' handle and pumped 3/4 ounce of my remaining Glowplugboy into the bladder and gave it a rip. I haven't seen an APC yet that didn't let an engine scream in sheer happiness. Picked up the handle and set her free.

Off like a rocket, damn, it ain't all that slow after all. I didn't count but it felt like it must've been turning 2-1/2 second laps, and I'd forgotten how the most miniscule breeze rolls off of the church roofs and makes level laps absolutely impossible. But I settled into my usual routine of backwards, forward, inside and outside loops, 8s and lots of wingovers, did some overhead 8s, some of them even on purpose and damn near spun myself into the ground, stumbling and recovering a couple of times. That Norvel gets really good gas mileage. It finally sputtered out and I rolled in for a nice landing and didn't even hit the stooge. Rolling Eyes What a rush! I was dizzy. The neighbors were amazed, never saw such a display of controlled panic like that before. I walked over and talked to them while I regained my wits and put on two more exhibitions. Good landings all. That was such a rush. I've gotten so used to 45 foot lines lately, I had forgotten how intense it is when the circle shrinks and the ground gets 10 feet closer.

It was a great way to close out the day. And when I lugged my plane and gear home, my wife was giving the neighbor dude the nickle tour of my shop and planes, so we finally got to meet and talk. He's an engine guy too, but motorcycle engines. We talked about airplanes and how the models work. His kids were away today but he really wants his 5yo to see this in action.

Just thought I'd relate that to y'all. See you in the funny papers,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

What a rush! - flying at the churchyard Empty Re: What a rush! - flying at the churchyard

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:22 pm

Well Good,

It's about time you had a nice run.

Make sure you amaze that 5yr old and plant that seed. Maybe you can put Dad on the lines too.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What a rush! - flying at the churchyard Empty Re: What a rush! - flying at the churchyard

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:36 pm

I hope I can get them interested. I'm almost done with the little Kitty Cat platter for the girl that used to live there. I need to rig up something that will fly like a trainer. All I have now are speed demons. Maybe the Lil Bat. It's difficult to fly off a launch but once up to speed it can be made to be easy to fly.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:53 pm

What's wrong with the Stuntman aka the chopper?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:55 am

RknRusty wrote: ... I'm almost done with the little Kitty Cat platter for the girl that used to live there. I need to rig up something that will fly like a trainer. All I have now are speed demons. Maybe the Lil Bat. It's difficult to fly off a launch but once up to speed it can be made to be easy to fly.

I'm guessing that "Kitty Cat" is a reduced size "Osborne Platter"?

You really need to get a slower engine than a TD or NORVEL for those short lines. :-)

Lets hope you scored a couple of flying buddies too.

George

Edit: Forgot to mention, I would suggest something like a SIG Skyray for a trainer. Set for minimum control throws they make good trainers...and are powered by a less powerful reedies.
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:03 am

cribbs74 wrote:What's wrong with the Stuntman aka the chopper?
It's retired and become a parts donor, wheels bellcrank, engine. Actually I had forgotten about it, but that's a good idea.

It has a pretty bad crack in one wing that can be glued again. I quit flying it because during stunts it had developed a mind of its own, loose lines and other times would dive into the ground at the oddest of times. I just got tired of trouble shooting it so I hung it up. I think it can be pressed back into service. A BW won't fly it, but I bet a Killer Bee sucking a balloon will. I'll revisit that possibility.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:09 am

gcb wrote:I'm guessing that "Kitty Cat" is a reduced size "Osborne Platter"?

You really need to get a slower engine than a TD or NORVEL for those short lines. :-)

Lets hope you scored a couple of flying buddies too.

George

Edit: Forgot to mention, I would suggest something like a SIG Skyray for a trainer. Set for minimum control throws they make good trainers...and are powered by a less powerful reedies.
Exactly, with a cat head, paws and a streamer for a tail. My son says it looks like a tick. I have a Golden Bee for it. A Skyray is a slat wing like the Stuntman23, if I recall?

Here's the Cat. It's a lot closer to finished than in the pics.
What a rush! - flying at the churchyard Sam_2310

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  bullit132 Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 am

hey rusty if you built that little bat for me that you have,it would give an excuse to go columbia,of course i would bring my planes,and of course i would pay you for the little bat,plus im sure i could learn some stuff while im there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Flying
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:17 am

bullit132 wrote:hey rusty if you built that little bat for me that you have,it would give an excuse to go columbia,of course i would bring my planes,and of course i would pay you for the little bat,plus im sure i could learn some stuff while im there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Flying
We'll work up a plan. Lets get through the unpredictable Spring first and see what we can arrange.

Have you got flying weather today? It sucks in Columbia.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  bullit132 Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:30 am

its so windy over here,if i had a hair piece it would be gone with the wind,im building my little wizard,another plane to sit on the shelf till my first flight Beer Cheers
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:38 pm

The Skyray is a slab wing. The elevator on it is very...small. Doubling the elevator can make it much more responsive, if desired. It still won't be a sky carving acrobatic machine.

Hip pocket offers the White Lightening plans too, if a hotter performer is desired.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/cl_sp_white_lightening.htm

If you want a good all-purpose trainer that can take a beating then the coroplast wing is an option. Tip: drill the mounting holes, hot glue them overfull and re-drill the mounting holes. The added weight is insignificant, and really close to CG. You can also run an inch of hot glue into a couple wing tip flutes for tip weight. These also launch pretty good from a wing wrap stooge.
Plans are found on the balsa beavers website, but I only find them through google taking the "1/2 A MAN-WIN trainer plans" link.

My coroplast wing must have been crashed over 100 times and other than hot-gluing the engine mount holes in the plastic I haven't needed to do anything to it.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:44 pm

I love my 1/2a Skyray. I have a video up of me flying it. In that vid I tried inverted for the first time. It was powered by a product engine (White Postage Stamp Backplate with aftermarket mounts). I used a pressure system on it. That is what helped me learn to tune without a 128 tpi nva. It did everything I asked it to. My Skyray 35 is the same.

Rolla
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:51 pm

If the Chopper refuses to be resurrected I'll try the Skyray. I've liked it ever since I first saw Godsey's. Phil, I saved your post to my Notepad "Building Tips" file, thanks. Yesterday we bought a vegetable garden enclosure at Lowes. It came in a corrugated plastic box and I sliced off a side panel and tossed it into my building materials stock. It might be a quarter inch, I didn't measure it.

In my idle time, I always re-live my recent flights in my head. Man I flew the sh... crap outta that Streak yesterday. I'm so glad I got off my ass and did that. I just finished cleaning it up and hung it back on its hook. I also used a month old bladder that I never flushed out. I was surprised it held up, but it had steady pressure and ran fine. I usually flush them with methanol and then fill them with air and let them blow out a few times to dry if I think I'll use them again.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Here's my repair
Phil
What a rush! - flying at the churchyard Img_2012
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:52 pm

If powered sensibly (I.e. Babe Bee with muffler) the 1/2a Skyray can go real slow. My dad had one with an RC Bee. It was ugly as can be. I doubt it would have been able to stunt. We had gotten it second hand and had to build a nose for it. The paint did not match, but it taught him how to fly level. It also helped to rid the dizzies for him. We slowed it down to about 8 second laps through various means. His Skyray 35 does 7 second laps with a Thunder Magnos 25 running as glow. Convert it to diesel and it drops to 3 seconds. And the times increase. Five minutes on two ounces. That was a fun re-maiden! My Skyray is currently being repainted. Lovely planes. Good prices as well. The Skyray 35 is very tough. It has plywood ribs. And glides very smoothly.

Rolla
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum