Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2018
MauricioB's

"Tee Dee .020"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

World of Aviation

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner

Go down

Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner

Post  fredvon4 on Sun May 26, 2013 2:38 pm

I am looking to buy a small ultrasonic cleaner and would like your opinions and recommendations.... the biggest thing in my model shop that might see time in one, is a .90 sized SuperTiger glow engine 5" long X 5.5" tall x 2.9" fat

Would like a decent unit under $100.00
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wanted..recommendation on ultra sonic cleaner

Post  bullit132 on Sun May 26, 2013 3:38 pm

29.00 dollars at harbor frieght,4.00 dollars for cleaning powder Small Cox Logo
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bullit132 on Sun May 26, 2013 3:39 pm

54.00 dollars for the real big one
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 on Sun May 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Yea I buy a LOT from harbor freight but probably not this item. Been a while since I looked, but the reviews on the HF cleaner were not very good a while back

I do have a great history with HF warranty/return on the few items that came damaged or missing parts

but out here in the sticks returning stuff cost much more than postage

Edited in...thanks for the response

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sun May 26, 2013 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add a thank you)
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ISO recommendation on Ultrasonic cleaners. 2018

Post  Marleysky on Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:08 pm

I did not want to  to hijack Bobs thread, so I return to ultra sonic cleaners thread from 2013. I’m curious, just what type of cleaner you ended up being happy with?

fredvon4 wrote:Stop dinking with the aggravating micro engineering and get back to the annual gun clean task Bob

grin

my spring cleaning included a Ruger that was DIRTY!!!

BTW Bob did you ever invest in a ultra sonic cleaner.... I love my 1 liter with heater version

I have a “Gem-pro” that has a small tub that’ll fit 2 B.B. in pieces. I’m not to impressed with the cleaning so far. I’ve used just plain water, and then Dawn dish soap and water. Don’t know if I should try more aggressive solvents, or soaking in crockpot of antifreeze then use Ultra#sonic to clean and rinse?  What have you learned since 2013?
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:26 pm

Way back when...after the sticker shock of Name brand so called professional Ultra sonic cleaners wore off I started looking into the specs of the many $300~$700 1 liter and half gallon devices

Most had a 40Khz transducer, stainless basket and stainless tub...some with and some without heat

E-bay had a (I think Ali-Babba) outlet in china and I took a dare on a 1 Liter with heat version for $ 129 or there about

I did not like how it tarnish an Enya 35 using alcohol.......grrrr....cleaned it good though

Once I got all my old used engines cleaned up I very rarely use it any more

Best solution for me was simple green and water ....I probably used too much Dawn once as it foamed like a bad washing machine commercial....grin------------------or a jug of concentrate I got from a local Jeweler to do wife's fine finger art is good stuff.... sorry he just gave me a couple of shots and no label so I do not know any brand name

It is a noisy bugger, and has a timer on it
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:38 pm

At work the nice heated ver. w/heat control we us 1 part simple green full strength to 3 parts water heat at 125F for 12-15 mins. for 2 cyl. carbs. walbro, Zama china knoc-off Small Cox Logo
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:15 am

Marleysky, this one was purchased here in Finland from a store for maybe 150€ but since most tools are cheaper in the USA I suppose you will find one for less. It is the ”generic” Chinese unit, it comes in several sizes, brands and prices, but most of them look the same.

This is a three-litre one  with 100W ultrasonic power and a 100W heat element. It heats up to 80deg C. it is a lot noisier than my old one (a 35€ small unit with no heat) but also a lot more effective. I asked this one from Santa because I needed one for motorcycle parts, carburetors and such, but it works very well with model engines too. There is plenty of room in the tank as you can see:

I use denaturated ethanol for cleaning my engines. It is sold around here as camping stove fuel for about 5€ for a one litre bottle (little over 2qt). To save the fluid and to keep the cleaner cleaner (heh) I fill a glass jar (baby food or peanut butter jar or such) with the ethanol, put the engine in the jar, fill the cleaner tank with hot water and fire it up.

Delrin parts, propellers and rubber spinners generally don’t like the hot ethanol so I just add some hand dishwashing detergent to the water and dump all the plastic parts there.

Ethanol is a good and safe fluid as it will absolutely not discolour any metals. The denatured stuff does sometimes leave some white residue to some parts but if you wipe them dry after you take them out of the bath they are fine. There is also an urban legend of the ethanol giving a protective surface on aluminum after polish, helping the surface to stay shiny longer. I think the ethanol just removes grease and polishing compound residues making the shine more uniform. But after I have washed and polished the parts, they all will take another bath in clean hot ethanol.

Edit: Hey Fred, how did alcohol tarnish your Enya? What kind of problem did you have?

Here are a couple of old Enyas and a Cub, all cleaned using the process described above (not polished though). I could not see any tarnishing, maybe yours was cast using a different material?

KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:47 am

I was looking for some denatured alcohol/ethanol this morning but the store was sold out, but they had acetone at about half the price. I didn't buy it because of some related safety issues. But I was wondering how it would work cleaning engines in an ultrasonic cleaner?

Bob
rsv1cox
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:10 am

I keep mineral spirits, Acetone, Lacquer thinner, and MEK on hand...they all can be pretty volatile ----and I think ...since the ultra sonic is in the shop, I vetoed them just for fumes reasons

The Enya case aluminum turned a dark colour from (I think) too long in 91% Isopropyl Alcohol

Hot simple green smells good and does a good job.....harsher Burnt Castor parts get crock pot anti freeze boil first
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down