Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs Cox_ba12

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs Empty
Live on Patrol

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs

Go down

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs Empty Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs

Post  kevbo Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:03 pm

I have been getting a few engines from my teenage years in the '70s running, and one issue I have been running into is missing prop retention hardware and drivers. Another issue is that a few were stored with nylon props, which now have bent blades due to sitting at odd angles in a box for decades. The wooden props got broken rather than bent.

When you see aircraft engines displayed, either full-scale or model engines, they are frequently shown with a stubby prop often referred to as a "club" ...a full size prop is expensive, bulky and distracts from the engine. Yet when I see the glamour engine pictures on this forum, they are usually propless. Often such display props are made to provide enough airflow to cool the engine for demonstration runs. (like this, for example) Lacking a throttle to limit RPM, and needing the flywheel, that is probably not a good idea for our little engines, but I still think airplane engines look more business like with a prop on them. A display club is sort of like when stores display clothes on one of those white or clear mannequins with no head or arms...it sort of says "person (or prop) goes here" and leaves your mind to complete the picture.

If you trim down a ruined prop to leave an inch or so of blade on each end, they will still clear the shelf if the engine is on a display stand, and doesn't take much room in a storage box. Just the hub is enough to keep the spinner/prop screw/nut/prop-driver from getting lost, and show spinners etc. in correct location, but leaving a little blade gives leverage for tightening and loosening the hardware. Most of us have an unfortunately large number of ruined propellers so the cost is only a few minutes with a razor saw and a sanding block to round things nicely.

If you are just a collector, not a pilot (I won't tell) you can probably find more than a few broken props in the trashcan at your local RC field. Most won't be 1/2 A sized, but for this purpose it matters little. Even electric props can serve as a fine display and hardware keeper.

If you sell an engine, a stub prop keeps the hardware from getting lost or bent in shipping.
kevbo
kevbo
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs Empty Re: Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:19 pm

The club is a nice touch, but the problem is if you have fifty or hundred and fifty, trying to get matching 'clubs' is pretty hard. Nylon spacers work nicely and they're plentiful...and cheep.

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs N_rtgh10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs Empty Re: Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs

Post  anm2 Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:37 am

Mark Boesen wrote:The club is a nice touch, but the problem is if you have fifty or hundred and fifty, trying to get matching 'clubs' is pretty hard. Nylon spacers work nicely and they're plentiful...and cheep.

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs N_rtgh10

Mark, Where do you get these Nylon Spacers. I see them in pictures all the time, but I have never seen one in person. I think it is a nice touch, and looks really good. Thanks, Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:40 am

A quick google search answered my question. Thanks. Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 am

I like the look of a "club" or Nylon spacer. I'm a "newbie" to this method of engine display/storage since joining CEF. Another CHEAP way to make clubs for say; a Cox .049 engine.. would be to buy a 7/16" dia. hardwood dowel, and cut pieces to length using a razor-saw/miter-box. Drilling a center-hole is easy.. if you have access to a drill-press. Clamp a pc. of suitable flat wood (1" x 2" x 8" for example) to your drill-press table and bore a 7/16" pilot-hole.. about 5/16" deep.. enough to hold your club-blanks. Insert your blanks in the pilot-hole and switch to a 1/8" drill bit. Keep the clubs from "spinning-out" in the fixture by applying downward pressure with an awl or small slotted screwdriver to the top of the club while drilling. You can leave the club "natural".. stain it, clear-coat it, paint it, "tool" it, wood-burn it... or whatever you choose for a custom look.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Use your damaged props to make storage/display clubs Empty Re:use youre damaged props to make storage/display clubs

Post  Exsanitary Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:17 am

I like the club idea. Finding the right prop for a certain engine could be viewed as just another aspect of collecting. There isn't anything about collecting that's cheap or quick anyway!
Exsanitary
Exsanitary
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down