Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

a good read Cox_ba12

a good read Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

a good read Empty
Live on Patrol

a good read

Go down

a good read Empty a good read

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:43 am

CASTOR OIL

By Bert Striegler.
Rescued from George M. Aldrich's web site, now closed down, after his passing away. Some edits and additions by Göran Olsson.
Back in 1983 there was quite a controversy in Radio Control Modeler magazine about the tests that were necessary to measure the "lubricity" of various oils that might be useful in model engines. Castor oil was used as the benchmark, but it was obvious no one knew why this was so. They apparently got a lot of info on various industry tests of lubricants, but these were really designed for other purposes. This was my answer. I will remind you that I was a lubrication engineer and not a chemist, but I drew my chemical info from Bob Durr, the most experienced lubricant scientist in the labs at Conoco. Bob worked with my group on many product development projects and I can tell you that he is one smart hombre! Small changes were made in the text, but surprisingly very little has really changed since this was originally written. Here goes with the answer:

"I thought I would answer your plea for more information on castor oil and its "film strength", which can be a very misleading term. I have never really seen a satisfactory way to measure the film strength of an oil like castor oil. We routinely use tests like the Falex test, the Timken test or the Shell 4-ball test, but these are primarily designed to measure the effect of chemical extreme pressure agents such as are used in gear oils. These "EP" agents have no function in an IC engine, particularly the two-stroke model engine types.

You really have to go back to the basics of lubrication to get a better handle on what happens in a model engine. For any fluid to act as a lubricant, it must first be "polar" enough to wet the moving surfaces. Next, it must have a high resistance to surface boiling and vaporization at the temperatures encountered. Ideally the fluid should have "oiliness", which is difficult to measure but generally requires a rather large molecular structure. Even water can be a good lubricant under the right conditions.

Castor oil meets these rather simple requirements in an engine, with only one really severe drawback in that it is thermally unstable. This unusual instability is the thing that lets castor oil lubricate at temperatures well beyond those at which most synthetics will work. Castor oil is roughly 87% triglyceride of ricinoleic acid, [ (CH3(CH2)5CH(OH)CH2CH=CH(CH2)7COO)3(OC)3H5 ], which is unique because there is a double bond in the 9th position and a hydroxyl in the 11th position. As the temperature goes up, it loses one molecule of water and becomes a "drying" oil. Another look at the molecule. Castor oil has excellent storage stability at room temperatures, but it polymerizes rapidly as the temperature goes up. As it polymerizes, it forms ever-heavier "oils" that are rich in esters. These esters do not even begin to decompose until the temperature hits about 650 degrees F (343 deg C). Castor oil forms huge molecular structures at these elevated temperatures - in other words, as the temperature goes up, the castor oil exposed to these temperatures responds by becoming an even better lubricant!

Unfortunately, the end byproduct of this process is what we refer to as "varnish." So, you can't have everything, but you can come close by running a mixture of castor oil with polyalkylene glycol like Union Carbide's UCON, or their MA 731. This mixture has some synergistic properties, or better properties than either product had alone. As an interesting sidelight, castor oil can be stabilized to a degree by the addition of Vitamin E (Tocopherol) in small quantities, but if you make it too stable it would no longer offer the unusual high temperature protection that it did before.

Castor oil is not normally soluble in ordinary petroleum oils, but if you polymerize it for several hours at 300 degrees F (149 deg C), the polymerized oil becomes soluble. Hydrogenation achieves somewhat the same effect.

Castor oil has other unique properties. It is highly polar and has a great affinity for metal surfaces. It has a flash point of only 445 degrees F (229 deg C), but its fire point is about 840 degrees F (449 deg C)! This is very unusual behavior if you consider that polyalkylene glycols flash at about 350-400 degrees F (176-204 deg C)and have a fire point of only about 550 degrees F (288 deg C), or slightly higher. Nearly all of the common synthetics that we use burn in the combustion chamber if you get off too lean. Castor oil does not, because it is busily forming more and more complex polymers as the temperature goes up. Most synthetics boil on the cylinder walls at temperatures slightly above their flash point. The same activity can take place in the wrist pin area, depending on engine design.

Synthetics also have another interesting feature - they would like to return to the materials from which they were made, usually things like ethylene oxide, complex alcohols, or other less suitable lubricants. This happens very rapidly when a critical temperature is reached. We call this phenomena "unzippering" for obvious reasons. So, you have a choice. Run the engine too lean and it gets too hot. The synthetic burns or simply vaporizes, but castor oil decomposes into a soft varnish and a series of ester groups that still have powerful lubricity. Good reason for a mix of the two lubricants!

In spite of all this, the synthetics are still excellent lubricants if you know their limitations and work within those limits. Used properly, engine life will be good with either product. Cooked on a lean run, castor oil will win every time. A mix of the two can give the best of both worlds. Most glo engines can get by with only a little castor oil in the oil mix, but diesels, with their higher cooling loads and heavier wrist pin pressures, thrive on more castor oil in the mix.

Like most things in this old life, lubricants are always a compromise of good and bad properties. We can and do get away with murder in our glo engines because they are "alcohol cooled" to a large degree. Diesels, though, can really stress the synthetics we use today and do better with a generous amount of castor oil in the lubricant mix. Synthetics yield a clean engine, while castor oil yields a dirty engine, but at least now you know why! "

Bert Striegler

Bert was the Sr. Research Eng'r. (ret.) at Conoco Oil Co. He's a graduate in aeronautical eng'rg., and a long time modeler. I never understood how he wound up in the oil research business, but I guess it's because he's just very smart !   I deserve no credit, Bert's the brain !   /George M. Aldrich
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

a good read Empty Re: a good read

Post  pkrankow Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:45 am

Thank you for posting this article.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Thanks Fred. I'll have to wait until this evening to digest all of that info.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:18 pm

This is in the Test/Practice forum, and will be automatically deleted in 7 days. Would you like me to move it?

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:26 pm

This would be good to move over to the Discussing Forum, I'd think.

The Discussin' Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:51 pm

I was in a hurry to get out the door to a meeting and had this copied to my desktop

Stuffed it here so I could review and edit or format before posting in the Off topic threads

Kind of technical but still good argument for WHY castor oil is good for us
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:55 pm

The way it reads makes a good case for a castor/synthetic mix. Perhaps that's why SIG works so well in our engines. Thanks for the good read Fred.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:46 pm

Castor Oil - Another version!

Folk healers around the world have used castor oil to treat a wide variety of ailments.You are probably aware that castor oil is regarded by some as a remedy for constipation remedy.

But you may not be aware of its reported use as an antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal, or that it has been used topically to treat a variety of skin conditions, reduce pain, and stimulate your immune system.

However, regardless of what some of the research has suggested, you should be very cautious when experimenting with castor oil since the science is sparse at best, and there are several known reports of unpleasant side effects experienced by some users.

History of the Castor Seed: Ricinus Communis

Castor oil comes from the castor seedi, Ricinus communis, which has a very unusual chemical composition.

Castor oil is a triglyceride, comprised of fatty acids, 90 percent of which is ricinoleic acid.

This unique fatty acid is found in lower concentrations in a few other seeds and oils (0.27 percent in cottonseed oil and 0.03 percent in soybean oilii) and is thought to be responsible for castor oil's unique healing properties.

The castor seed plant is native to India.

Centuries ago, the plant was referred to as "Palma Christe" because the leaves were said to resemble the hand of Christ.

This association likely arose out of people's reverence for the plant's healing abilities.

It was later adopted for medicinal use in Ancient Egypt, China, Persia, Africa, Greece, Rome, and eventually in 17th Century Europe and the Americas. Castor oil is now widely used in industry. The stem of the plant is used in the textile industry, particularly in Russia, where castor oil is known as "Kastorka." The oil has a very consistent viscosity and won't freeze, which makes it ideal for lubricating equipment in severely cold climates.

Modern non-medicinal uses for castor oil include:
•Food additive and flavoring agent
•Mold inhibitor
•Ingredient in skin care products and cosmetics (lipstick, shampoo, soap, and others)
•Used in the manufacturing of plastics, rubbers, synthetic resins, fibers, paints, varnishes, lubricants, sealants, dyes, and leather treatments; the lubricants company

Castrol took its name from castor oil

Castor oil was first used as an aircraft lubricant in World War I and II. So, castor oil has a number of handy industrial uses. But did you know that the castor seeds from which castor oil is made can be DEADLY?

The potent toxin riciniii is made from a protein in the castor seeds that, if ingested (orally, nasally, or injected), gets into the ribosomes of your cells where it prevents protein synthesis, which kills the cells. Ricin is made from the "mash" that is left over after processing castor seeds into oil. Just 1 milligram of ricin is fatal if inhaled or ingested, and much less than that if injected. Eating just 5 to 10 castor seeds would be fatal.

Once poisoned, there's no antidote, which is why ricin has been used as a chemical warfare agent. Even though such a toxic component is also derived from this seed, castor oil isn't considered dangerous.

Castor oil's main side effects fall into the categories of skin reactions and gastrointestinal upset, which isn't terribly surprising given the agent's actions on your intestinal wall.

Castor oil is broken down by your small intestine into ricinoleic acid, which acts as an irritant to your intestinal lining. This effect is what gives castor oil the ability to reverse constipation—but it's also the reason that some people report digestive discomfort, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal side effects. If you suffer from cramps, irritable bowel, ulcers, diverticulitis, hemorrhoids, colitis, prolapses, or have recently undergone surgery, you should probably avoid castor oil due to these possible adverse reactions.

Castor oil has been traditionally used to help stimulate labour in healthy pregnant women.

Adverse effects notwithstanding, Indians would traditionally boil seed kernels or hulls in milk and water, and then consume the brew to relieve arthritis, lower back pain, and sciatica. According to Williams' articleviii, castor seed plants are widely used in India for all sorts of medical problems, including the following:
•Constipation
•Dysentery
•Inflammatory bowel disease
•Bladder and vaginal infections
•Asthma

Canary Islanders made poultices from the leaves of the castor plant to treat gynecological problems. Nursing mothers applied these poultices to their breasts to increase milk secretion and relieve inflammation of their mammary glands, and applied the poultice to their abdomens to promote normal menstruation.

In general, the reported medicinal uses of castor oil fall into the following five general categories:
1.Gastrointestinal remedy
2.Antimicrobial (antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal)
3.Labor stimulantix
4.Anti-inflammatory and analgesic
5.Immune system and lymphatic stimulant

The oil's benefits can be derived by topical application, and it appears to be useful for a variety of skin conditions like keratosis, dermatosis, wound healing, acne, ringworm, warts and other skin infections, sebaceous cysts, itching, and even hair loss. Castor oil and ricinoleic acid also enhance the absorption of other agents across your skin.

And castor oil shows some promise in the treatment of cancer. According to the American Cancer Societyx :

"Oncologists now use castor oil as a vehicle for delivering some chemotherapy drugs to cancerous tumors. A special formula of castor oil called Cremophor EL is used as a carrier for paclitaxel, a drug used to treat metastatic breast cancer and other tumors. Unfortunately, the vehicle sometimes causes problems of its own, including allergic reactions. This has prompted a search for substitute carriers."

Castor Oil has been used both internally and externally for thousands of years due to its many wonderful health benefits. Since it can strengthen the immune system, castor oil is considered a great remedy to treat the following major illnesses and ailments:

•Multiple Sclerosis
•Parkinson's Disease
•Cerebral Palsy
•Hair loss
•Pain from Arthritis and Rheumatism

It has also been found to help with many everyday problems such as:

•Yeast Infections
•Constipation
•Gastrointestinal Problems
•Menstrual Disorders
•Migraines
•Acne
•Sunburn
•Athlete's Foot
•Ringworm
•Skin Abrasions
•Inflammation

These details are commonly found:

Arthritis Natural Remedy

The anti-inflammatory properties of Castor Oil make it an excellent massage oil for relieving arthritic joints, nerve inflammations, and sore muscles.
•Make a small pad by folding a small piece of unbleached cotton flannelette into 3 or 4 layers.
•Dip the cotton pad into Castor Oil and place it on to the affected joint or muscle.
•Cover the pad with a plastic wrap.
•Place a hot water bottle or heating pad over the plastic wrapped cotton pad. The plastic wrap will prevent the water bottle or heating pad from getting oily.
•Leave the cotton pad on for 45 minutes to an hour, once per day.
This Castor Oil pack can be reused. Simply place it into a plastic ziplock bag and refrigerate it until it is ready to be used again. It can be refrigerated in a ziplock bag.

Constipation Remedy
Studies have shown that Castor Oil is a very strong laxative, which makes it very effective against constipation. Therefore, simply take a teaspoon of castor oil in the morning. You can mix the oil with orange juice, cranberry juice, prune juice, or ginger juice to take away from the bitter taste without affecting the laxative effects. However, do not take it continuously for more than 3 days. If symptoms persist for longer than 3 days, consult your physician immediately.

Ringworm Treatment
Ringworm is known to be a stubborn condition to treat, but one of the active compounds of Castor Oil (Undecylenic Acid) has been found to be very effective at treating this fungal infection.
•Spray Castor leaves with some hot water and coarsely crush the leaves.
•Soak the leaves in pure coconut oil.
•Warm the leaves to a temperature that will not burn the skin, and apply the leaves over the affected area as a poultice.
•Leave on the skin for at least one hour, or optionally overnight.
•You may wrap the leaves with unbleached cotton fabric to prevent the oil from staining your bed sheets.
Repeat the procedure every night before going to bed until cured. However, if you notice any redness or discomfort around the area, discontinue this remedy.

Skin Problems
Successful studies have approved the use of Castor Oil for skin infections and other skin problems such as sunburn, abrasions, acne, dry skin, boils, warts, stretch marks, liver/age spots, athletes foot and chronic itching and inflamed skin. •Dip a cotton ball into Castor oil and apply it onto the affected skin in the morning and at night.
•Alternatively, for larger skin areas, soak an appropriately large piece of unbleached cotton cloth in Castor Oil and wrap the affected area overnight.
•If the area is very small, soak a Band-Aid in Castor Oil and cover the infected skin overnight.
For stubborn fungal infections that affect the skin or nails, it is recommended to soak the affected skin in Epsom Salt for 10-15 minutes to soften and disinfect the skin before applying Castor Oil. This can help speed up the healing process.

Stye Treatment
The anti-bacterial components of castor oil have been found to be effective against styes (oil gland infections on the eyelid). Simply apply a very small drop of the oil directly onto the stye 2 or 3 times per day.

Wrinkle Treatment
Castor oil is a natural emollient that penetrates the skin and helps stimulate the production of collagen and elastin which can soften and hydrate the skin. Therefore, it is a wonderful natural treatment for wrinkles since it restores and rejuvenates skin's natural youthful appearance by making skin smoother, softer and pliant. Dip a small cotton ball into the oil and apply it on wrinkled skin before going to bed. Use only a small amount of oil when applying it to the skin near the eyes.

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  tru168 Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.  
Sig Fuel stop supplying my country and I just used normal fuel that used in RC cars, which have 11% of oil, and I add castor oil for all my cox engine now.

In my local market, I only can find castor in DIY soap store. The castor is virgin castor, and the shop owner said its cold pressed oil.
I can feel really sticky after running my engine, my work bench, table, tools, all feel really sticky.  Is that what people called " Non-de-gummed" castor?  anyone know how to "De-gummed" it? the oil color looks light yellow in color, compare with the castor that supply from Bernie ( golden color ) .

Some said, just heat it up for 1/2 hour and its de-gummed.  is that true?
tru168
tru168
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:32 pm

Great read. So our synthetic component is Pag oil. The first time I heard of that was about 10 years ago when I was replacing the compressor on my wife's car A/C. Pag oil is added to the cooling system. At the time, I had no idea what Pag meant.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm

So the exhaust from using all-castor fuel makes you a regular guy, right? :-)

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:27 pm

gcb wrote:So the exhaust from using all-castor fuel makes you a regular guy, right? :-)  

George
Yep, never constipated, no ringworm, arthritis is under control, no athletes' foot, vaginal fungus, or acne, and my skin is so smooth, I have to beat model airplane groupies off with a stick.
lol!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Wow Rusty...........cheers 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74