Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» PT19 Rebuild Project
by Oldenginerod Today at 8:42 pm

» Scratch built F8 Bearcat
by Ricksrod Today at 8:12 pm

» wanted Sterling Beginners Series Airplane tracings
by Oldenginerod Today at 7:12 pm

» Cox Kenbrite brochure
by Oldenginerod Today at 7:00 pm

» 3D printed beam mount .049 backplate
by Jason_WI Today at 6:33 pm

» Buzzbipe RC 010
by 1/2A Nut Today at 4:21 pm

» how do I go back to beginning?
by Admin Today at 1:57 pm

» PT-19 Rubber band size
by Levent Suberk Today at 1:37 pm

» Engine runtime?
by aspeed Today at 1:34 pm

» Oh, oh - HO
by rsv1cox Today at 1:06 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2019
colibriguitars's

Dieselized .049 with no Teflon disk or o-rings.

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty
World of Aviation

Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:57 am

A early LIL Red Express.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty Re: Automobiles you don't see everyday...

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:22 am

Yeah the stacks are someones addition. Originally it would have had a straight flat 6 with a dinky single exhaust.

The lil red was a 1978/79 model only.

Interestingly enough that bed is identical to the one on my ‘72. They ran that Ultiline bed for close to 30yrs. The last two they installed a metal bed floor.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2019 Supporter

Trusted Seller

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:30 am

250 flathead was probably what came in it. My daily driver is nearing 400k and still going strong. I need more numbers on the speedo I run out of em
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:17 pm

There are multiple properties nearby to me, where there are several early-vintage Dodge Power-Wagons. They instantly grab my attention when I see them. I don't know what's up with the vehicles.. but I'm assuming that the properties are owned by the same family. One is a repair-shop.. and the other is a private-property within a fraction of a mile. None of the trucks look to be drivable and maybe they're all for parts.. but to me, they're classic beauties.

Most of them are late 30's/early 40's..

Here's a beautiful 1939 that I found on google-images..

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 1939_d10
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 1939_d11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Empty 1958 Hillman Husky custom surf-wagon

Post  roddie on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:48 pm

This "custom" is for sale.. down the street from where I live. I noticed it (couldn't help but notice it.. Shocked  ) a few days ago.. and had to stop and take photos of it today.

I'll post the photos first.. and tell you a little story afterward..

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190340
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190341
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190342
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190343
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190344
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190345
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190346
Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 20190347

There's no chassis info. listed, but there's a short wheelbase 4 X 4 tucked under that British body. I'm guessing possibly an IH "Scout" or early Ford "Bronco" chassis.. capable of handling the extra horsepower from the NO2 boost/bottle in the way-back..

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:59 pm

Nice, Roddy, but I must say that such a site would most likely be very welcomed along the coastal lines of Australia and New Zealand also, me thinks. Laughing
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:25 pm

Ah.. the Hillman story that I forgot to tell.. Back in the early 1960's, my dad bought a Hillman "Minx" from a dealer somewhere in Massachusetts. I was a toddler.. (born in 1960..) My dad and mom went out to eat one night at a restaurant on U.S. Rt. 1 in Foxboro, Ma.. called the "Lord Fox".. (not far from todays "Gillette Stadium".. home to the N.E. Patriots Football team). There was valet-service.. and my dad warned the valet that the "pedals" (accelerator, clutch and brake) were very close together.. and tricky to operate. During dinner.. someone from the restaurant came to the table and informed my dad that the car had been damaged when being parked. The valet had smashed it into a tree.. which caused enough damage that it could not be driven. That apparently was the end of "our" Hillman.. Sad
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:51 am

The car changed hands already in 2011 and was for sale again in 2016. The Husky has a Jeep chassis. ( What a gear lever!!!)

http://www.ewillys.com/2011/02/17/1958-hillman-husky-on-cj-5-chassis-guilderland-ny-ebay/
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:00 am

Thanks for the research, OVERLORD. That gives additional info on it, an impressive show car and is apparently street legal in the state registered, too, as indicated by the license plate.

Interesting story, Roddie, good thing the valet wasn't driving a half million dollar Maserati. Shocked Found it is a late 1950's Minx Husky I body.

The following is said of the Husky I:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Husky

Wikipedia wrote:"Audax Series" Hillman Husky
Series I
In 1958 the new "Series I" Husky was introduced. It followed the same formula as its predecessor, but was based on the new "Audax" or "Series" Hillman Minx. This time the engine was the new Minx's 1390 cc overhead-valve unit but de-rated to an output of 51 hp (38 kW; 52 PS).[5] As before, there was also a four-door "Minx estate", and the Husky had two doors (plus the side-hinged rear door) and a shorter wheelbase (by 8 inches (200 mm)). It was, however, 2 inches (51 mm) longer than its predecessor.

The Series II has an updated and more powerful motor.

Wikipedia wrote:Series II

A "Series II" Husky followed in 1960 with a four-speed gearbox, slightly lowered roof, a deeper windscreen, and altered seats. The engine compression ratio was raised to 8:1 and the carburettor changed to a Zenith 30 VIG type.

Testing the Husky in 1960, The Motor magazine recorded a top speed of 73.4 mph (118.1 km/h), acceleration from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) of 26.9 seconds and a fuel consumption of 30.8 miles per imperial gallon (9.2 L/100 km; 25.6 mpg‑US). The test car cost £674 including taxes.[5]

The engine change to a Buick 231 C.I. V6 is welcomed. The original has half the horsepower of my 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII touring motorcycle. (Clocked at 12.6 seconds in the quarter mile by one magazine.)

Back in the early 1970's while in high school, as a member of the Civil Air Patrol, Waianae Squadron (Hawaii), our senior member and chaperon had a Hillman Husky. I and my brother rode with him from Maile to Dillingham Airfield on the north shore of Oahu. When he started talking to us, he'd slow the car down at least 10 MPH. Seems its sweet spot was around 45, may be 50 mph if you're lucky. Back then, all the roads outside Honolulu were 2 lanes.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Factual correction in line with OVERLORD's post.)
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 am

Good story roddie/Lieven.

That 231 Buick V-6 has been stuffed into a whole lot of MGB's.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler on Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:43 am

That is interesting Bob but understandable. The 231 Buick engine is very compact and a nice upgrade even if kept stock.

Each state has its own laws about rebuilding automobiles. AFAIK, one would seek for an engine that is very close to the age of the vehicle, as with a newer engine one might have to also install all the emissions equipment. Some AFAIK don't allow one to "upgrade" requiring that it maintain OEM.

When I was building a Harbor Freight kit trailer for my motorcycle, I found here in NM the safety requirements for trailers aren't as stringent as they are for other states. (Some like NY require welded safety chains to the trailer chassis and very specific to exacting locations.) It was a very simple matter to get it titled. I took the Certificate of Origin (OEM title) to the MVD, 20 minutes and $49 later I had a permanently registered plate. (Don't have to re-register every year.) Here in NM, a motorcycle's tag behind trailer does not have to registered. I did it, because as soon as I tow it with my pickup, I am in violation of the law. It was easier to get it titled and not worry.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:58 pm

George, this engine was standard mounted in the MGB. It was called the MGB V8 and was only available as a coupé. The engine was also used in the Rover.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:27 pm

OVERLORD wrote:George, this engine was standard mounted in the MGB. It was called the MGB V8 and was only available as a coupé. The engine was also used in the  Rover.

True Lieven, But I was referencing the original four cylinder 1962/1980 MGB. With upgraded brakes and suspension it's a very popular modification.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:21 pm

In fact, I got it wrong. You're talking about a V6. I was automatically thinking of the Buick V8 built under license by British Leyland.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Diedrichs on Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Why do the British drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas refrigerators !!!!
Mark Diedrichs
Mark Diedrichs
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:13 pm

OVERLORD wrote:The car changed hands already in 2011 and was for sale again in 2016. The Husky has a Jeep chassis. ( What a gear lever!!!)

http://www.ewillys.com/2011/02/17/1958-hillman-husky-on-cj-5-chassis-guilderland-ny-ebay/

Wow! You Sir are a super-sleuth!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:42 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Thanks for the research, OVERLORD. That gives additional info on it, an impressive show car and is apparently street legal in the state registered, too, as indicated by the license plate.

Interesting story, Roddie, good thing the valet wasn't driving a half million dollar Maserati. Shocked Found it is a late 1950's Minx Husky I body.

The following is said of the Husky I:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Husky

Wikipedia wrote:"Audax Series" Hillman Husky
Series I
In 1958 the new "Series I" Husky was introduced. It followed the same formula as its predecessor, but was based on the new "Audax" or "Series" Hillman Minx. This time the engine was the new Minx's 1390 cc overhead-valve unit but de-rated to an output of 51 hp (38 kW; 52 PS).[5] As before, there was also a four-door "Minx estate", and the Husky had two doors (plus the side-hinged rear door) and a shorter wheelbase (by 8 inches (200 mm)). It was, however, 2 inches (51 mm) longer than its predecessor.

The Series II has an updated and more powerful motor.

Wikipedia wrote:Series II

A "Series II" Husky followed in 1960 with a four-speed gearbox, slightly lowered roof, a deeper windscreen, and altered seats. The engine compression ratio was raised to 8:1 and the carburettor changed to a Zenith 30 VIG type.

Testing the Husky in 1960, The Motor magazine recorded a top speed of 73.4 mph (118.1 km/h), acceleration from 0-60 mph (97 km/h) of 26.9 seconds and a fuel consumption of 30.8 miles per imperial gallon (9.2 L/100 km; 25.6 mpg‑US). The test car cost £674 including taxes.[5]

The engine change to a Buick 231 C.I. V6 is welcomed. The original has half the horsepower of my 2001 Kawasaki Voyager XII touring motorcycle. (Clocked at 12.6 seconds in the quarter mile by one magazine.)

Back in the early 1970's while in high school, as a member of the Civil Air Patrol, Waianae Squadron (Hawaii), our senior member and chaperon had a Hillman Husky. I and my brother rode with him from Maile to Dillingham Airfield on the north shore of Oahu. When he started talking to us, he'd slow the car down at least 10 MPH. Seems its sweet spot was around 45, may be 50 mph if you're lucky. Back then, all the roads outside Honolulu were 2 lanes.

Thanks to you too George! Very interesting stuff. I'm sure that "Ian" could tell us a bit about the Hillman too.

Regarding the Buick 231 cu. in. V6 (3.8L) engine in the "custom Husky".. that engine design was taken to the limits by Buick when they introduced the Regal "T-Type" (later being rebadged as the GNX/Grand National with an intercooled turbo-charger. It was a quick car for its size.

I know it's not a "stock" 231.. but it makes some good power.. doesn't it. Laughing
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:13 pm

I really miss my  ‘85 El Camino. It was replaced by a ‘96 Ford Ranger then a 99’ Mazda B4000 4WD pick-up.   Saw this and thought, Wow, a El Corveto with rocket exhaust and Airplane decals:
Bet It’ll haul the ashes and 1/2a planes too.

Automobiles you don't see everyday... - Page 8 Dbf21f10
Marleysky
Marleysky
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:10 am

Damn thing comes with Rockets !! lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2019 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ticomareado on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 am

Buck Owens' Nudiemobile

Image result for Buck owens car with guns
ticomareado
ticomareado
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum