Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Cox_ba12

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Today at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Today at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF speed contest Design Discussions

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Mad Re: CEF speed contest Design Discussions

Post  RknRusty Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Lieven, it's now 10.5 hours until the deadline. If you can get out early in the morning and give it a shot you can wake up early. Besides Jim will probably be asleep when you're uploading anyway. He can see your flight with his morning coffee. Launch off a table if you have too. I think the launch rule has been relaxed.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri May 16, 2014 2:41 pm

Yes, you can hand launch. It's what I had to do as well. Fly now....play later.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat May 17, 2014 10:42 am

....Rusty it took a dive like it was going for a outside loop if , i was up at a good 90 degrees from level arm when i put alittle down in it .......Roddie i feel ur pain ..ther saying next year sounds good to me Getback's second attempt , Iam not done another glue job ,I  want to find ouy why it is taking that down so quickly and want recover as it takes off well Huh... Maybe I was not up to speed for an altitude change?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Sun May 18, 2014 6:05 am

I followed your advice and with Jim's encouragements in mind, I gave it another go yesterday with the assistance of my neighbour Jacques. I left off the engine cowl and the ram air intake. That leaves me with less parts to repair afterwards. I also mounted a 3 bladed 5x3 LH prop. The centre spot was marked with orange fluorescent paint. I managed to fly a few laps but the plane hit the ground each time. I broke the outboard landing gear during one landing but decided to continue as that didn't matter much.

Then the inboard landing gear with the belcrank mount broke. I glued it back in place with CA glue and I replaced the prop by a 2 blade 4.75x4 RH one. I wrapped some lead strip around the throttle needle to improve stability. Again some laps of flying were achieved but it came down again.

After the last take off, I remember seeing the outboard wing lift and the plane took a serious dive, leaving me with multiple parts: time for a drink.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Imgp9012

I hope you all appreciated my 24h of Le Mans style start. Also, I was supported by my loyal fan club and a cheerful public. Some moments came out funny, looking afterwards: before one take off, I could find my handle in the grass.

It was not a total failure as the thing did fly. There are some changes, improvements and modifications to be made for next year's model.

It was a great experience. Thanks to all of you.

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sun May 18, 2014 6:52 am

Lieven,
You receive the "Best Flying Site" award. That is just beautiful. I made my videos in a parking lot across the canal from a water treatment facility.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 18, 2014 7:44 am

Sorry to see that Lieven, sure you can repair though (that grass looked a lot softer that it was after I saw were u landed?) I,ve patched mine one and going for another round soon  Babe Bee .049 Flying Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 18, 2014 8:22 am

Sorry to see that Lieven, truly I am. I have a couple ideas. Sending you a PM
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 18, 2014 10:52 am

getback wrote:

....Rusty it took a dive like it was going for a outside loop if , i was up at a good 90 degrees from level arm when i put alittle down in it .......

Roddie i feel ur pain ..ther saying next year sounds good to me Getback's second attempt , Iam not done another glue job ,I  want to find ouy why it is taking that down so quickly and want recover as it takes off well Huh... Maybe I was not up to speed for an altitude change?

Hey Eric, a couple observations; Your engine sounded real good! I'll bet you were getting over 20K out of it! Also; I saved EVERY photo of EVERYONE'S build-stages, in a folder on my PC.. Both of our models I believe are the only two that have a full-span hinged elevator, which means twice the deflected surface area than the other contestants who chose to go with a traditional "speed" elevator. On my Rare-Bear I used a #237 Dubro control-horn  (longer than the 1/2a type) and put the push-rod in the outer-most hole that I could; without it rubbing on the wing's trailing-edge. This is exactly 15/16" down from the hinge-line, greatly de-sensitizing the elevator.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 5-18-110

I also have slightly more "up" throw than down.. (I figured this might be needed on mine)

Are your controls set to the least sensitive? How about your handle's line-spacing? One of the things I needed to do, was to match mine with my bell-crank/lead-out spacing.. which I did. These things all figure-in to your control inputs at the handle, out to the airplane.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 5-18-111

While I was at it; I drilled a hole-set for a 3" spacing too. This "Sagan" handle originally had spacing for 2-1/8" and 4". Now it has 1-1/8", 2-1/8", 3" and 4". Maybe if you try less sensitive control settings, you'll have better luck? I think that models this small and having a very short O/A length.. are real sensitive to pitch variation.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun May 18, 2014 12:11 pm

FWIW, mine has a full span hinge. I laminated a piece of fabric between two 1/16" sheets to form the stab and elevator, so there's no air gap. I positioned the hinge joint a bit too narrowly so I only get about 20 deg. deflection.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm

My elevator hinge has a huge gap in it. I wasn't concerned as I wasn't wanting this thing to be quick on controls. Even with the gap it was very responsive as evidenced in the video below. It was windy and I had to dive into the wind a little to keep up speed. No this is not my entry video.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 7ClJ4Rf

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun May 18, 2014 5:21 pm

should have been about 19,000 give or take Roddie, I was very pleased at the way it was running. I checked the lead outs vers. the handle , and I will need to do some changing before I try again..... cCEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Garden13 cant make it perfect but get a lot closer.. CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Garden14  I am in the center hole think ill move to the outter ......CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Garden12 this should be ok.  Thanks for bringing that to my attention, it is in the hospital now glue setting up Very Happy  Cool  Cool Ron watched the video man that plane rolls a lot better than mine lol!  lol! Least you got some rounds in!!Getback out Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun May 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Leadouts in the wing tip mean nothing for control rate. It is bell crank vs handle spacing you are interested in.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon May 19, 2014 8:15 am

pkrankow wrote:Leadouts in the wing tip mean nothing for control rate.  It is bell crank vs handle spacing you are interested in.

Phil

Yes Phil.. good to clarify that. My lead-outs have the same exact 1-1/8" spacing as my bell-crank. They are raked-back slightly at the wing-tip (2-3 degrees) per Paul G's advice, to help with line tension where there's "zero" thrust/rudder offset.

Eric, if you swap to the "inner-hole" on your bell-crank, it will also lessen sensitivity, along with the "outer-hole" on the horn.

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Bell-c11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:20 am

Sorry I missed this, But I did get that figured out moved both ..bellcrank inner ..control horn to the outer that changed the throw a lot ! I think maybe I can handle it now . Thanks I guess I was just not thinking straight  Laughing Have not got the chance to fly it yet but am looking forward to it  I would still like to see what the time will be Devil Looking for another build for the next race I am thinking Pylon formula 1 ?? Did you get yours in the air I may have missed it , have been pretty busy here but no FUN as I would wish  sunny Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mad A new guy-greeting and a couple of questions

Post  Mike Mulligan Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi guys! My name is Mike Mulligan, I'm new around here and came over from the Stunthangar forums. I usually fly stunt but the Reed Speed contest sounded like WAY too much fun to pass up! Like most of you, I suppose, I grew up with Cox engines in all of my planes (and cars, and boats...) and still have a soft spot for 'em.

I got pretty excited about this thing when Jim posted about it over at Stunthangar and started sketching out a couple of designs almost immediately. I might have to do a few planes since I can't decide which one I like best. They certainly are economical material-wise, especially compared to a typical stunt ship! So far my ideas involve another Bearcat and Corsair, though the Bearcat will be more like Greenameyer's 'Conquest 1' than Rare Bear. I'm also thinking a Scorceress-type biplane would be fun!

I hope I haven't missed something that was obvious, but I have read through the rules and through this thread and I'm still a little confused on landing gear. The rules say that an airplane that had retractable gear can omit the gear all together. But reading through here it seems to be a requirement to ROG for an official flight, but I didn't see that in the rules. If it is a matter of ROG would a drop-off gear or dolly be permitted?  

Given the option I would omit the gear for a couple of obvious reasons, not the least of which is the weight and drag advantage, but I fly over grass and tend to think the airplane might survive a little longer belly flopping in the grass rather than tripping over it's gear and tumbling. All of the planes I've seen so far have had gear, so I'm assuming there is an agreement to that effect. That, or I completely missed something that is really obvious in the rules (Most likely, I expect!).

I don't mind either way, I just wanted to to clear that in my mind before the lumber hacking begins...

Thanks for doing this contest and thanks for having me!

Mike
Mike Mulligan
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://Mulliganracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:12 pm

Mike,

Welcome over. Glad to have you here. The reason you see all the planes with gear on this thread is because the firsst iteration of the Reed Speed contest mandated R.O.G. for official flights. But, for many of us who fly alone or off of rough fields, R.O.G. is not a great option. So Jim was nice enough to change the rules for the second contest to eliminate the R.O.G. requirement. That'll make it easier and probably up the participation greatly for the next go round.

The Merry Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Mulligan Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:47 pm

Thanks for the clarification Mark, much appreciated. A belly flopper it is, I suppose...

Love the Sea Fury, by the way.

Mike
Mike Mulligan
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi Mike, I was hoping you'd show up over here, glad you joined us. We try to do all sorts of different activities to ward off the boredom. You'll recognize a few names from SH too.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Mad Radial cowls...

Post  Mike Mulligan Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:38 pm

For those who may be wanting or needing a plastic radial cowl but don't want to buy one from Sig, check the local Wal-Mart or supermarket for a drink called Sparkling Ice. It is a flavored fizzy water that comes in clear plastic bottles that are 2.33" in diameter and have a great shape for a cowl. The drinks aren't bad either!
Mike Mulligan
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Welcome aboard Mike!

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Mad Conquest 1...

Post  Mike Mulligan Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys. This is really a great idea for a contest and one that fits well into my schedule right now. Nothing like having a nice little low-key, just for fun competition to take too seriously!

This is the real Conquest 1 Bearcat that is the basis for my design. Still massaging the dimensions, but so far it is coming along pretty well. Hope to start cutting some wood tonight, Lord willin' and the river don't rise...

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Conque11

A few paint options:
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Conque12

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Conque13

CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Conque15

And my favorite picture. What a beast!
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 Conque16

And a reedy should create a pretty scale oily exhaust smear down the side!

Thanks again guys,

Mike
Mike Mulligan
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:24 pm

Man, Mike's got it bad. Looks like the ante is going up this time around. lol! 
I'm sure I'll do my usual last hour speed build. It barely got the job done the first time, but I better get some projects moving.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:28 pm

I am knee deep in my speed build. I am not posting pics this time though. I learned from the last round that a 20K plus engine doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the airframe is slag.  Very Happy 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:59 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I am knee deep in my speed build. I am not posting pics this time though. I learned from the last round that a 20K plus engine doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the airframe is slag.  Very Happy 
I'm the other way. I think I had a good airframe and need more power. I'm probably going to use the same mustang with some changes. Maybe some engine work is in order. Maybe I can slide that wing another 1/2" forward so it'll float and glide better. And rethink my elevator.

I got some new Tee Dee P/C sets from Bernie today and they have extremely good fits. I'm impressed. They do feel like some light lapping needs to be done in the exhaust port area where the bar was removed and the bottom exhaust deck was lowered.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:31 pm

The best advice I can give is after you get your motor screaming test every prop you can get your hands on. There's a 5mph spread in this photo. If I could just remember which one was the winner.... lol! 
CEF speed contest Design Discussions - Page 38 ISjeiBl
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next