Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Foiled by a tree!!!! Cox_ba12

Foiled by a tree!!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Foiled by a tree!!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Foiled by a tree!!!!

Go down

Foiled by a tree!!!! Empty Foiled by a tree!!!!

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:05 pm

Ok,

This may be more suited to "off topic" however, it was supposed to be a day of flying for me.

I received a note Friday saying " going to cut the limb on Sat then fly" Sat morning I arrived at our site with my chainsaw and Twister thinking it's only a limb we will nip this thing off and take to the skies.

The limb in question hangs precariously close to our circle and it needed to come down. It grew very funny on this tree and it stuck straight out about 30' and was almost as thick around as the trunk on this 100yr old squat oak. It really looked like a tree growing out of a tree. We got to looking and then talking and then we started thinking about the danger.

None of us are really experienced with this sort of thing and it looked like it. My saw was dull and my pals kept throwing the chain due to a bad tensioner system.

We kept rotating saws out to keep the momentum going, but it took us all darn day to drop and clean up the limb so no flying for any of us. Major bummer, but at least that thing is gone now.

We nipped a little off at first to remove some weight and clean up the work area. The final cut dropped that lumber off for good!!!!

Here are some pics we had already cut about 20' off before I decided to take pictures.

Foiled by a tree!!!! GMnqTJcl

Foiled by a tree!!!! URrsJeul

The pickup truck is what we used to keep tension and the limb we took off is the one on the lower right (first pic) that sticks straight out.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Foiled by a tree!!!! Empty Re: Foiled by a tree!!!!

Post  Jason_WI Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Faster to prune at the stump! Look at all the firewood in that thing! Stay safe as we lost a good friend to a tree falling 2 years ago.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Lumberjacking is hard work. Glad you cleared the airway. In the words of the late Rosanne Rosannadana, "It's always somethin'." Looks like it would've been a good day to fly.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:39 am

Our club field had a very similar experience. The branch in question was huge in itself and it was around the 35 deg mark from the ground when we were flying. We used a baseball home plate to determine the safe haven of most of our line lengths. I was really amazed how close we were coming to that branch. I'm quite sure that would've re kitted the plane pretty darn quick. Shortly after hurricane Sandy, the branch gave way falling in to our pit area. Glad to see it won't be an issue any longer. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:30 am

We have some serious tree issues at Huntersville. Yes, I can say "We" now, for I am one of the MCLS Carolina Gang. Very Happy  They need trimming around all three circles before the May contest.

MCLS stands for "Metrolina Control Line Society" The R/C club out there calls themselves "The Flying Aces." Lots of warbirds I think. I don't know what their official name is. If the park commission doesn't cooperate with the trees there is talk of moving to Triple Tree Aerodrome in Woodruff, SC where the Joe Nall is held. That's a slightly easier drive for me. The pavement on the circles is getting pretty dippy too.

Allen Brickhaus was an MCLS member too. I didn't know that until after his recent death. Watt was pretty upset about it. We flew at his house the day after. They used to talk most every day.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:25 am

I had about 60' to work with when I used to fly 1/2A in my side yard in the early 90's. I wrecked a Stuntman once, hitting a tree-branch. Obstacles were shrubs on the side of the house, a tree-line and 2 stone walls. My pit area and stooge was near the house where I could plug in a 12V. car battery-charger to power my panel. I used tar-paper for a runway. I later used a green lid from a 5 gal. bucket with a gutter-spike through the center, to anchor it... and mark the center of the circle. I flew with 25' lines.. and as long as I could feel the lid with my foot.. I knew I wouldn't hit anything. I recall flying my Cox "Cosmic Wind" on those short lines... All I can say is; it's a good thing it has a small tank! A bow-window on the raised ranch we had, over-looked the pit area/circle.. and my kids used to watch me fly from there.

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 am

I would love to fly in my front yard as it is technically big enough for 35 or maybe even 42 foot lines

BUT..... three sides have 3 phase power lines and I will not chance it as I still wander around way too much (still way behind the plane in fine motor control)

2.5 acres with house dead center so another 1 1/4 acres in the back but we love each of our 100+ trees for the shade they provide during summer. So cutting some down for a safe place is out of the question...so like many here, I have to drive to a field and set up a stooge
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 am

fredvon4 wrote:I would love to fly in my front yard as it is technically big enough for 35 or maybe even 42 foot lines

BUT..... three sides have 3 phase power lines and I will not chance it as I still wander around way too much (still way behind the plane in fine motor control)

2.5 acres with house dead center so another 1 1/4 acres in the back but we love each of our 100+ trees for the shade they provide during summer. So cutting some down for a safe place is out of the question...so like many here, I have to drive to a field and set up a stooge

The only thing I have room for now is a small (30 ft.?) RTP circle. Power-lines freak me out.. I won't fly anywhere near them. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac, it's SoOoOo tempting... I recently cracked-up an RC Flyzone DR1 out there, trying to get used to it's ground-handling. Apparently; it didn't like me ground-handling it... ground looped and broke the top wing off its struts.. At least I had about 20 min. to play with it before that happened. In case you didn't know.. squat tail-draggers are a handful on the ground too. The Flyzone DR1 is probably better "hand-launched"... but I don't have any stick-time "flying" RC... and the Fokker is not for beginners by a long shot.

I need to find a flying area too. There are schools and industrial parks nearby... but I haven't heard of any aero-modeling activities in this local area. There is a reservoir down the road though.. and I have some RC boats. A Cox reed powered out-rigger hydro is in the works.

Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Foiled by a tree!!!! Empty Small circle?

Post  706jim Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:43 pm

We used to fly on 8' lines. To me, that is a small circle!
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:48 pm

Wichita has a fantastic set of circles! Come here to fly! I was at the hobby shop the other day, and we looked at them on the computer with the Google Maps thing.

If you want to see them, look for the Meritrust Bank at the 2900 block of South Oliver. The circles are directly West , across the street from there. Two large, paved circles, and 3 grass circles, of which you can see the paved concrete centers.

My understanding is that we will have the contest again this year- about the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August. Make plans to attend! I'll find out more information, soon.

Oh... No trees whatsoever, to be a hazard to flying!
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:04 am

GUS THE I.A. wrote:Wichita has a fantastic set of circles! Come here to fly!...

Not to mention, no strange wind vortices that trees induce to add an extra challenge to pattern flying.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:23 am

GUS THE I.A. wrote:Wichita has a fantastic set of circles! Come here to fly! I was at the hobby shop the other day, and we looked at them on the computer with the Google Maps thing.

If you want to see them, look for the Meritrust Bank at the 2900 block of South Oliver. The circles are directly West , across the street from there. Two large, paved circles, and 3 grass circles, of which you can see the paved concrete centers.

My understanding is that we will have the contest again this year- about the 2nd or 3rd weekend in August. Make plans to attend! I'll find out more information, soon.

wow, very nice!
Foiled by a tree!!!! 5yyyyh10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:11 am

They are very nice to fly on. Horrible to crash on  Rolling Eyes 

If you look real close you may find the 1 1/8" perfect wheel that I lost in the grass out there.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:46 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:They are very nice to fly on. Horrible to crash on  Rolling Eyes 

If you look real close you may find the 1 1/8" perfect wheel that I lost in the grass out there.

Is it concrete?
Haven't spotted your wheel yet.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:53 pm

Ron wish I could have been there to help got 8+ saws and they aren't scared of trees at all , that's what we heat with and have been in the woods getting wood in the cold more than I would like to Minchin. Lucky I am hooked with a tree service owner that really helps me a lot! still have to go get it but a lot easier  Very Happy  glad to see you boys are getting ready for some spring action  Good Idea I am good for 35' line goind to have to do some cutting for the 42' s  Foiled by a tree!!!! 00111 my old garden when I was younger  , bout 4-5 yrs. ago lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:23 pm

Getback,

I have the same problem in my yard with 42' lines and have to keep it at 35'. The place where we cut the limb was for our big circle. We could prob go out to 70' now! We could have used your experience that's for sure.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:27 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:
GUS THE I.A. wrote:Wichita has a fantastic set of circles! Come here to fly! I was at the hobby shop the other day, and we looked at them on the computer with the Google Maps thing.

wow, very nice!
Foiled by a tree!!!! 5yyyyh10

They are nice, they look better in person. If you look at the edges of the circle you can see all the oil slicks. I helped make some of those!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:09 am

Ummm- S 47th St E? Wow! I have never heard Oliver Street called that. It IS 47 blocks east of Main street, and this is the South end of it, but, that's a new one on me. Oh well- Google knows best, huh? The view makes the street appear to be on an angle, but it really does run straight North and South. The Turnpike is going at an angle, in real-life.

Anyway... You see what I mean, about our circles? We are so fortunate to have them. I have really never had to fly from grass. Spoiled by our site. We fly Stunt, Mouse, Goodyear, Quickie Rat, all kinds of just fun stuff, and have used them all winter.

You should come here to fly. You'll be asking your city to make circles for your club.
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:37 am

We had a nice grass circle located in a county forest preserve park, where a R/C field was also located.
Then one day a guy took it upon himself to call the park district about the grass needing cut and one thing lead to another, next thing I knew they were out there with heavy equipment tearing out the sod and filling it with crushed lime stone! They put the dirt back and I spent a couple summers reseeding and pulling weeds, but by this time two guys moved and I moved on to another pursuit.

Foiled by a tree!!!! Cl_cir10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down