Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Running old sparkers.  Cox_ba12

Running old sparkers.  Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Running old sparkers.  Empty
Live on Patrol

Running old sparkers.

Go down

Running old sparkers.  Empty Running old sparkers.

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Today was the nicest temperatures we've had for the past 2.5 months. The temps made it into the 50's however the flight gods were just not on our side today. The winds were 20 mph and gusts up to 35. Snow is still heavy on the ground although rapidly melting. We did manage a few flights but the winds caused one of our experienced pilots to lose a plane due to the wind which pancaked the plane while it was inverted. So, we did the next best thing, we shot the bull and ran engines. The old spark ignition engines came out. Anderson Spitfire and Super Cyclones, The Mccoy .49 and a few others. These are strong runners and not to mention LOUD!!!!!!. The Atwood .63 was sounding mean. I received a good crack on the hand reminding me that I do have fingers. Felt like it was going to break it. These engines swing some pretty good size props. While they don't do it fast, they do it with authority. We ran some on gas and castor oil then removed the spark plug and ran them on glow fuel to compare ease of starting and rpm's. Way cool stuff

In the last pic was the Fox .35 crankshaft. Just a reminder not to get too attached to that sweet running Fox. This was flight 489 on the Fox .35 which is documented by my friend Dan. Ken
Running old sparkers.  P82a0110
Running old sparkers.  P82a0111
Running old sparkers.  P82a0112
Running old sparkers.  P82a0113
Running old sparkers.  P82a0114
Running old sparkers.  P82a0115
Running old sparkers.  P82a0116
Running old sparkers.  P82a0117
Running old sparkers.  P82a0118
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Running old sparkers.  Empty Re: Running old sparkers.

Post  roddie Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:57 pm

That must have been fun Ken! What blend of fuel do you run in those old spark ignition engines? Gasoline/oil mix I imagine? Ratio? My Uncle just gave me an Ohlsson .60 and a G.H.Q. yesterday... along with his old Veco Renegade combat job!

The engines are missing parts... I know... but he was going to throw them out... along with the airplane.

Running old sparkers.  Ohlsso10
Running old sparkers.  Veco_r11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Nice prop strike mark on the index finger of the right hand holding the busted crank. I've had more than enough of those. I'm now a chicken stick wuss. Did it break just doing a bench run? I'd like to see a sparker run and a diesel too. Never seen either. those spark engines looked big.

I got a lesson on flying in the wind Thursday, but only 14mph according to NOAA. Not as windy as your day, and I put up six flights. It's the most wind I've ever flown in. I got the pattern(still beginner) done in all but two flights where I came out of the OH8s early, but landed every one pretty well. Because of this experience, I'll be more prepared next time it's windy. It was 84 degrees, and I busted out into a full blown sweat. Sweet! It's back to normal now though.

My favorite engine today was a Nelson 46 in David Smith's new carrier plane's maiden flight. That was a scary beast. Those things are really fast. So was John Gibson's Russian combat plane. He and Howard Shenton flew some while the rest of us spectated. Today was calm up at Watt's, but my pattern flying inexplicably sucked. No excuse, just one of those days. The old Skyray has been good to me though. Probably will go again this coming week.

Sorry, I should have made my own thread for all that. I'll cease now.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:39 pm

Great stuff Ken, way to keep those old sparkers going. Better than keeping them on the shelf!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:39 pm

Good stuff. I like it. All nice, but love that Mc. 49.
One of the guys here has one here in a Playboy Snr. flying Free Flight on glow, and it sounds magnificent.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:53 am

Roddie, the fuel bowls and timing advancements are typically missing on a lot of ignition engines. However, your .60 there would run just fine on glow. Put a plug in it and go fire it up. I had a one yesterday running. They do concern me due to the cylinder head being spot welded on. You could blow the top right off. Our fuel was nothing fancy, 1/4 part castor to 3/4 gas. No fancy measuring devices, just poured it in the bottle and gave it the ole good eye. We fly a few spark ignition engines now and then. Very rarely as they just take a lot more patience. We also had the Drone diesel going . I'm fascinated by the technology of yesteryear. I vote you find those needed parts and get those ole turkey's running again. Ken

The Fox though was a bit upsetting when it broke. I'm seeing more and more of this as our engines our getting considerably older. We run them pretty much weekly when we can and this one was almost at flight 500. Typically the Fox .35 breaks at the cutout in the crank across one of the square corners. Mine broke a few weeks ago at the pin. These engines though have lots and lots of flights on them. Good news is, it's already repaired. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:08 am

Thanks for the advice Ken! Apparently there's a LOT more to getting the Sparkers to run.. I get the concept.. kinda".. but I always thought that all you needed was a battery and coil unit. I watched some vids.. and I seem to see a lot more gadgetry involved.

Glad that the Fox is fixed!  Thumbs Up 
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:46 am

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:55 am

Ken. you might have addressed this before since I have some memory of the Fox crank failure at the edge of the fuel channel. Has anyone tried rounding the corners to hopefully relieve some of the stress in that area?
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down