Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Turnigy thrust stand conversion
by roddie Yesterday at 11:39 pm

» Tee Dee .09 rebuild.. and run!
by roddie Yesterday at 11:33 pm

» A Return to Genius
by batjac Yesterday at 8:23 pm

» My Engine Running.
by 1/2A Nut Yesterday at 7:39 pm

» What NOT to do to your Sterling P-38
by londke3 Yesterday at 5:58 pm

» Admission of stupidity...well maybe maybe not
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:16 pm

» Good news /Bad news
by fredvon4 Yesterday at 12:08 pm

» New TD .010 and Pee Wee .020 Planes
by Tee Bee Yesterday at 5:12 am

» CL Contest ElDorado , AR
by Kim Yesterday at 3:11 am

» NIB Testors P-38 #stickershock
by Marleysky Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:39 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
October-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Medallion .049 R/C"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

Okie's doing Ukie!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Okie's doing Ukie!

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:24 pm

I am uploading video so stay tuned.

69 degrees and light winds today so you can imagine we had some great fun. I tested out my Cardinal and Twister finally!

I enjoyed the Cardinal most of all and I loved the Silver Foxx .40 on the nose. What a sweet engine!!

Back in a few.

Ron
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Okie's doing Ukie!

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:35 pm

This is one of me with the Cardinal. I'll post another and a few pictures in a bit.
There is a moment where my cameraman makes a verbal faux pas. I can't edit it out so my apologies. If someone knows how to fix it let me know and I will pull it.

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:13 pm

Wow, you're getting good. Nice intersections on your 8s vertical and horizontal, and you ain't afraid to hit low bottoms either. Good flying.

I better get my camera out and see what I look like.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Ok, this video is of Larry Oakley flying his full fuse T-Bird. This one is powered by a Double Star .54. I had never heard of that engine until today. It runs very well though.

A picture of todays lineup!

And a humbling picture of my inverted Cardinal landing. The Fox .40 doesn't give me a lot of warning when it quits. I managed to stall it about 5" from the ground so it just plopped down without doing any damage. 

Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:15 pm

Ron, this was awesome. I have to tell you,  Very Happy you put one of these on my face. Engine run was very nice. Ron, the Brodak .40 is made by Double Star. I like them. I've seen a few issues with the .60's, but I like them and they're AAC engines which is quite nice. Ken
Ken Cook
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:27 pm

RknRusty wrote:Wow, you're getting good. Nice intersections on your 8s vertical and horizontal, and you ain't afraid to hit low bottoms either. Good flying.

I better get my camera out and see what I look like.
Rusty

Thanks Rusty, means a lot coming from you. To be honest, I think it's the Cardinal that makes me look better than I am. My OTS planes take a lot of finessing to make the patterns look pretty. These contest planes do exactly what I ask them to do without fail. I think you will find that your Oriental will make your great flying that much better.

Ron
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:29 pm

Ken Cook wrote:Ron, this was awesome. I have to tell you,  Very Happy you put one of these on my face. Engine run was very nice. Ron, the Brodak .40 is made by Double Star. I like them. I've seen a few issues with the .60's, but I like them and they're AAC engines which is quite nice. Ken

Thanks Ken! It was a great day, yeah that Lew Woolard Fox is amazing. Thanks for the info on the DS. It too is a nice running engine!

Keeping the CL flame lit in OKC

Ron
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:47 pm

Nice flying Ron, time to start workin' on the o'l pattern. The Fox sounds GREAT! The larger Double Star engines are pretty well regarded and the Brodak .40 is very popular, but I don't think they have anything on the Silverfoxx .40!
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:24 pm

Thanks Mark,

I can do the beginner pattern, but not as well as I like. The OH8 is my weak point. For some reason I really dork it up more often than not. Not sure why. I think more practice is in order.

I got lucky with the Cardinal Fox combo, it was given to me by Bob Redmon. Larry runs his engines rich. I don't see this as a fault as they have gobs of torque and they just power through everything. His other T-Bird is a profile and on that he runs an Enya .45. It rarely breaks into a 2 and it pulls so hard. He runs old EW props on it and it's very impressive to see it fly. So impressive I picked up a couple .45 Enya's for myself.

Ron

Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:58 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Thanks Mark,

I can do the beginner pattern, but not as well as I like. The OH8 is my weak point. For some reason I really dork it up more often than not. Not sure why. I think more practice is in order.

Is that the PAMPA beginner pattern? Is there even such thing as Beginner in the OTS pattern?

OH8 is the hardest of all for me. Maybe because my neck may not have full range of motion and I have to turn my body too much. I try not to move my feet though because I lose my intersection. Maybe I should try only keeping one foot planted and pivot a little on the other. I nearly lose sight of it when it flies behind me and the result is for me to tighten it up too much. That really blew my shapes in the wind on Thursday. And sometimes the square loops are ugly. I tend to have ugly bottoms on the exit. I find that when I make them a rectangle with a longer horizontal portion I do best. I'm told that shouldn't hurt the judging score in beginner if the shape is neat. And I'm finally learning not to yank it through the corners.

All I haven't done is the clover leaf and reverse wingover. And I don't think the clover is that hard, I just haven't had a flight where I was ready to try it yet. I knocked out a nice square 8 one day, and the next time I couldn't make it square all the way through to save my life. I have really good days and not so coordinated days. I can complete beginner every time, and sometimes add other stunts after doing it in order. On 2 ounces, I have 8-12 laps left after the OH8 before it sucks air. I don't want to confuse matters by trying the full pattern in order yet until after the May contest.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:00 am

PAMPA. Beginner OTS does not exist. I think they go easier on you if it's your first time. That's what I am hoping for anyway.

I need to open up my V8's and Horiz 8's. I tend to tighten up which makes my bottoms flat.

This wouldn't be much fun if it wasn't challenging!

Ron
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:04 am

Cribbs74 wrote:This wouldn't be much fun if it wasn't challenging!

Ron
No kidding, much more challenging than it seemed when I was watching from the sidelines with my hands in my pockets, thinking, Aw shoot, I can do that.
RknRusty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Background observation

Post  706jim on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:18 am

Is that old rusty car what you came in, or is it just abandoned on the field?
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks for sharing the video Ron.
Looked like it was a beautiful day for it.
Glad the the wind didn't "come sweepin' down the plain".
Bob
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:49 am

Guys, remember...if it was easy, anybody could do it.

I love riding the learning curve of any endeavor, be it disc golf, Q500 or stunt. To me that's the thrill of any hobby, learning to or attempting to master the discipline.

With stunt, having grown up with model airplanes the learning curve went up rather quickly, but by the time I hit mid-pack advanced I hit the brick wall, the only way to get better was to build better and practice, practice, practice, which I had time for neither.

Enjoy the ride and have fun, its a great trip...and join PAMPA!
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:13 pm

706jim wrote:Is that old rusty car what you came in, or is it just abandoned on the field?

That's a 67 Cougar. It belongs to the owner of the field we fly on. He is a big Ford fan and that is just one of many classics on the property.

Although it's hard to tell from the video, that car is virtually rust free and a good candidate for restoration.

I have been known to pull up in clapped out pickups before.  Very Happy 

Ron
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:22 pm

I kinda thought that's what it might of been (the car, not so much of the year) I remember in my home town as a kid in late sixties seeing a Cougar ('65-'67) owned by a high school kid, painted a really nice burnt orange metal flake with the windows tinted blue and Cragar mags...looked like a full size Hot Wheels car!!!
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:I kinda thought that's what it might of been (the car, not so much of the year) I remember in my home town as a kid in late sixties seeing a Cougar ('65-'67) owned by a high school kid, painted a really nice burnt orange metal flake with the windows tinted blue and Cragar mags...looked like a full size Hot Wheels car!!!

Yeah, he has a few Cougars, and Mustangs and Fairlanes and Torino's and....  lol! 

It's a giant Man Cave out there!

Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:42 pm

dckrsn wrote:Thanks for sharing the video Ron.
Looked like it was a beautiful day for it.
Glad the the wind didn't "come sweepin' down the plain".
Bob

Yeah for once the weatherman got it right Bob!
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:15 pm

RknRusty wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:Thanks Mark,

Is that the PAMPA beginner pattern? Is there even such thing as Beginner in the OTS pattern?

OH8 is the hardest of all for me. Maybe because my neck may not have full range of motion and I have to turn my body too much. I try not to move my feet though because I lose my intersection. Maybe I should try only keeping one foot planted and pivot a little on the other. I nearly lose sight of it when it flies behind me and the result is for me to tighten it up too much. That really blew my shapes in the wind on Thursday. And sometimes the square loops are ugly. I tend to have ugly bottoms on the exit. I find that when I make them a rectangle with a longer horizontal portion I do best. I'm told that shouldn't hurt the judging score in beginner if the shape is neat. And I'm finally learning not to yank it through the corners.

All I haven't done is the clover leaf and reverse wingover. And I don't think the clover is that hard, I just haven't had a flight where I was ready to try it yet. I knocked out a nice square 8 one day, and the next time I couldn't make it square all the way through to save my life. I have really good days and not so coordinated days. I can complete beginner every time, and sometimes add other stunts after doing it in order. On 2 ounces, I have 8-12 laps left after the OH8 before it sucks air. I don't want to confuse matters by trying the full pattern in order yet until after the May contest.
Rusty

I haven't even considered a clover leaf yet. Even without a full range of motion I am sure you could compensate in some way.

Reverse wingover, me either. I am having trouble working it through in my head. When I fly inverted I hold the handle sideways. I have to figure out how to add that twist off the wrist and give down elevator at the same time. When I finally muster up enough courage I will probably take the safe road and do my pullout up high. Once I develop the muscle memory I can clean it up.

Ron
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Yep, the PAMPA Beginner pattern, you get that nailed, the standard pattern is not as a big of step.

As for the standard pattern, I kinda liked the cloverleaf, but the hourglass...not so much!!
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:06 pm

OK Mark, will do.

Hourglass..... affraid 
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Laughing 

Oh that's funny! It's what I imagine will happen when I first attempt one. Excellent art work Mark!

I look like a baby T-Rex
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 pm

lol, yep, it was 'spose to be a guy but I messed up and since it look like a li'l dino just went with it.

I have a hard time drawing with a mouse right handed as I'm left handed...but come to think about it I can't write very well with my left hand either!

p.s. he's suppose to be saying "oh crap", but it looks like he's saying "oh chop"...which to a dinosaur is probably the same thing.

Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: