Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 Cox_ba12

CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

CEF Reed Speed official video entries.

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 Empty Re: CEF Reed Speed official video entries.

Post  JPvelo Sat May 10, 2014 6:54 pm

RknRusty wrote:lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! 
It bounced off the starter spring didn't it.
My son thought I gave the launch signal and released before I was ready. It slacklined into the Tarmac and the prop strike caused it run backwards.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 Empty Re: CEF Reed Speed official video entries.

Post  RknRusty Mon May 12, 2014 6:20 pm

I just got two official flights done. I'll try to figure out which is the fastest and PM it to Jim tonight, but they're almost identical.
I hope there aren't any beauty points for landing. lol!  It glides like... well it doesn't.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon May 12, 2014 6:42 pm

Great job there Rusty Best of luck. What? ,glad you could get r done I didn't get to mine this afternoon pushing my luck with the wind 8-12 was too much for 5 OZs. a lot of wind burst  No so I just went to tilling/planting fert.lime ....water...CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 Wp_20218   after that I was done Hot I do have the field ready though   CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 Wp_20219 hope I don't push myself into the rain...Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon May 12, 2014 7:05 pm

I should have mine done by Friday. I'll be up in Wichita Kansas and maybe Gus the IA and I can knock some out.

Nice garden Eric! You should be up to your ears in tomato's in no time!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed May 14, 2014 10:32 pm

Spoke with Doug tonight. Winds are meh, but we have a camera and a circle. I modified my gear one last time and this thing had better ROG or it's going to be a FF model followed by a good old fashioned boot stomping!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu May 15, 2014 12:01 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Spoke with Doug tonight. Winds are meh, but we have a camera and a circle. I modified my gear one last time and this thing had better ROG or it's going to be a FF model followed by a good old fashioned boot stomping!
The day I crashed Miss Ashley I would have stomped her to splinters if my son hadn't been there to witness it.
Watch my launch in this video. If the model is at 3 o'clock my feet are pointed to 12 , I'm wound up anticipating the launch. As soon as it launches I unwind, whip my arm forward, and back up to maintain line tension. You have to drag it into the air.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 15, 2014 12:47 am

Try bending the LG to make it turn a little to the right. Good luck Ron.
Even if you can't ever get a qualifying roll off, at least hand launch it once so you can see what kind of speed it will fly.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu May 15, 2014 12:51 am

I'll accept a hand launch if it's the only way you can get it in the air.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu May 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Boot Stomping !! damn Ron that sounds like something I 'd say  lol! sorry to hear your having all that trouble trying to get into the air, raining I mean pouring down here , its tomorrow or bust I am riding with a co worker at this time . My truck blew the head gasket the other day and looking for another truck now I just don't know if I want to put 1300.00 in an 1989 toy with other problems  Mad . Any way I will have some help from him he has flown some himself so knows some what what to do  Laughing I 'll be close to the glue at home , thanks for the garden compliment , looking forward to tomato sandwiches dripping down my arms Very Happy 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 Empty wind factor

Post  getback Thu May 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Looks like 5-10 what kind of wind have you guys been using ? Taking off with the wind blasting behind you right? (with the wind) Biplane Shocked Affraid or WOW!  Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 15, 2014 6:35 pm

getback wrote:Looks like 5-10 what kind of wind have you guys been using ? Taking off with the wind blasting behind you right? (with the wind) Biplane Shocked Affraid or WOW!  Getback
Being the last day, I wouldn't worry much about 10mph, but a strong tail wind can put the prop into the ground. I like to go with a split between cross and tail wind. Climb high(but don't stall it) on the first lap and bring it back down once you're tight and up to speed. I had no choice but a tail wind in my field, and it got up with no trouble.
Rip up any weeds that might snag it on the takeoff roll. Hold the lines high to clear any stragglers. Don't forget to raise your hand to start the clock.

I think Roddie is giving it a go today too. C'mon boys, damn the weather, let's fly!

Go for it! Good luck.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 15, 2014 9:00 pm

I finally got some flights in. Didn't look promising at first as it did another nose over.

Hand launch worked great though. Wind was higher than I would have liked, but hey it's behind me now...... Very Happy 

I'll be sending Jim video soon!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 15, 2014 9:21 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:I finally got some flights in. Didn't look promising at first as it did another nose over.

Hand launch worked great though. Wind was higher than I would have liked, but hey it's behind me now...... Very Happy 

I'll be sending Jim video soon!

Ron
I'm glad to hear you got it flying. Hopefully some more entries will get in under the wire. I know I was relieved to get mine done.

I realized after I was cleaning it up, my first flight had a standard Cox 5x4 on it instead of a cut down prop. Rolling Eyes  My second flight, which I submitted, was a different cut down one and faster than the first, but I don't know if I robbed myself or not. I'll find out after the contest some time.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 15, 2014 9:48 pm

I know what you mean. My final prop was an APC 4.75x4 and while it spun the engine up nicely it still couldn't cut the wind.

If I had waited 2 hrs the wind would have died to 5mph.  Rolling Eyes 

I need to go through my vids and see which one is the best. I have 3 and with my only recorded run with the APC the engine sagged.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu May 15, 2014 10:09 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:....I have 3 and with my only recorded run with the APC the engine sagged.
Ah they spin so fast, I bet it got too lean. Bummer.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu May 15, 2014 10:20 pm

PM sent.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 16, 2014 7:44 am

RknRusty wrote:
Cribbs74 wrote:....I have 3 and with my only recorded run with the APC the engine sagged.
Ah they spin so fast, I bet it got too lean. Bummer.
Rusty
Yep, sounds like it over leaned. Oh well, there's always next year!

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 16, 2014 7:47 am

18 hours left yo get videos in guys. So far I have five including my own. I'm hoping for some more participation.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri May 16, 2014 8:49 am

I'll try again today Jim, but it was "flying follies" for Roddie yesterday afternoon. If I had not waited so long.. I would have possibly worked out the problems I was having. Why is it.. that you think you are prepared enough.. without bringing more than you need.. yet you forget something so important? I neglected to pack a small screwdriver for the prop-screw.

I measured off my circle and got my pin-stooge tacked down through a crack in the asphalt on an abandoned factory parking lot, pinned-in my model, strung my lines and set neutral. I decided to run a tank out on the ground, to get an optimal needle setting. The engine ran strong through that first tank.. then the troubles started. A backfire loosened the prop-screw, and all I had was a razor knife to re-tighten it. While this "did" work; I experienced successive harder engine starts and nose-overs.

My wife was with me.. and could have hand-launched I suppose.. but her job was to get video. We could have managed all of this, had there not been an issue with my video camera/tripod that I had brought. The cam wouldn't recognize it's memory-stick, making it necessary for her to use her phone-cam. She got some terrific footage of me flipping, priming, flipping, running back and forth for about 45 minutes. Head Bang I had waited for her to come home from work to join me, and it was too late in the evening (loosing light) to continue.

CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 5-15-110
CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 5-15-111
CEF Reed Speed official video entries. - Page 2 5-3-1410

I honestly didn't think I would have nose-over trouble at 7.25 ounces, flying from pavement.. but the pavement was pretty rough (not seal-coated) and my pin-stooge raised the tail up 1/2" which compounded the condition. If the rain breaks today, I will try again, using a 2' x 4' piece of plywood ahead of the stooge which will raise the main gear, giving the model more of a "nose-up" attitude and smooth take-off roll.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 16, 2014 9:36 am

Roddie, I have nothing but faith in you!

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri May 16, 2014 9:40 am

Hand launch it. Don't make me the only dirtbag!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri May 16, 2014 9:48 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Hand launch it. Don't make me the only dirtbag!

lol! Ron, I'm guessing your biplane is the smallest model in the contest.. and the only biplane. You get major kudos for that!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri May 16, 2014 9:55 am

Definitely not the fastest though. Jim already said better luck next year  lol! 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri May 16, 2014 10:13 am

Roddie,
Go ahead and hand launch. Next year we will make hand launches ok and lose the landing gear. That will simplify the build and increase speed.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri May 16, 2014 11:39 am

Roddie, even if it doesn't fly, it's the best damn looking little plane in the bunch sitting there drooling a puddle of fuel on the tarmac. lol! 

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next