Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration. Cox_ba12

Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration. Empty
Live on Patrol

Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration.

Go down

Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration. Empty Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration.

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:56 am

I'd like to know if anyone has any hints in regards to removing old paint & tissue from a balsa model in order to recover & paint it.  When you tear the old tissue off it leaves a layer on the ribs and spars.  I wondered if paint stripper may soften the glue/dope to allow it to be pulled away clean from the balsa.  I have a couple of old C/L sports planes I'd like to rebuild and would probably use iron on film to cover the wings. (I've never used it before).  They're built fairly solid so they'd take some rough handling in the process.  Also, if I use paint stripper on the fuse & tail feathers, do i just need to wipe the stripper & paint off with a damp cloth?  Once dried, can I paint over it?  How do I deactivate any remaining stripper so it doesn't affect the new coating?   Huh... 

Cheers.
Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration. Empty Re: Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration.

Post  andrew Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:09 am

If it were painted with typical nitrate and/or butyrate dope, then use acetone.  If the tissue is still in place, use a small brush to wet down a section, then a toothpick or tweezers to lift one end.  At that point, work your way down the rib or spar, dissolving the dope and lifting the tissue as you go.  The discoloration from the dope will likely remain and can be difficult to remove --- sanding will help some, both to lighten the dope and to smooth out any remaining covering.

I have not tried it, but I have read that some folks have had some success using clear packing tape stuck to the structure then pulled up to remove stubborn covering.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration. Empty Re: Removing tissue & paint for aircraft restoration.

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 am

andrew wrote:If it were painted with typical nitrate and/or butyrate dope, then use acetone.  If the tissue is still in place, use a small brush to wet down a section, then a toothpick or tweezers to lift one end.  At that point, work your way down the rib or spar, dissolving the dope and lifting the tissue as you go.  The discoloration from the dope will likely remain and can be difficult to remove --- sanding will help some, both to lighten the dope and to smooth out any remaining covering.

That's exactly how I did my old Shoestring. Acetone, elbow grease and patience. I stripped the whole plane; wings, fuselage and what was left of the broken tail. On the solid wood surfaces, it stripped all the way down to what I'm told is probably polyspan and some kind of hard white filler, which the acetone didn't phase. There were yellow stains remaining on the ribs, but I smoothed them with sandpaper and re-covered with red Monokote, which hid it completely.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down