Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Cox_ba12

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Empty
Live on Patrol

Off Topic Comparison of old and new RC receivers

Go down

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Empty Off Topic Comparison of old and new RC receivers

Post  happydad Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:02 pm

HobbyKing is now selling an OrangeRX 4 channel receiver than weighs only 0.1 oz., (they say 2.7grams).
    I want to compare the old 72MHz Futaba receivers to the newer 2.4GHz parts and now to the newest OrangeRX receiver.
   Here is a pic of my 7 channel Futaba R127 FM RX.

sorry I couldn't find my trusty r127, but I did find a comparable  FMA Direct FM 6channel RX.

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Fma-fm11

Here is my 2.4GHz 6 channel receiver made in China.
   Sometimes called a LemonRX 2.4GHz 6channel RX.
Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Lem24-11

and here is the latest OrangeRX 2.4GHz 4channel small receiver.
It is labeled the R400 2.4GHz 4channel RX.

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers R400-111

Look at a comparison of the size and weight of the 3 different receivers.

Length              Height            Width           Weight
FMA 6Cch                2.25inch    X      1.75inch    X   0.875inch     1.2ounce

Lemon 2.4GHz 6ch   1.5inch      X      0.75incg    X   0.375inch     0.2ounce (4grams)

OrngRX 2.4GHz 4ch  1.125inch  X      0.75inch    X   0.375inch     0.1ounch (2.7grams)

The servos are similar in size and weight. If there is some interest I can post more pictures. I only have the large old servos like the Futaba s3003 and the tiny 3.7gram servos I am using for the Cox Warbird Corsair RC conversion. very little in-between.

I hope this helps someone.   Please PM me if I can help.

happydad

RC Plane Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Empty Re: Off Topic Comparison of old and new RC receivers

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:03 pm

lol, yep I remember those "oldies" Rx's, the FMA Direct was a big thing, I think it was the same people that also sold DAD servos.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Empty re: old RC versus new 2.4GHz

Post  happydad Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 pm

mark: Thanks for your comments. I had intended to show the receivers and servos all together then the R400 and 3.7gram servo in my Cox Warbird Corsair RC conversion, but I was called to dinner. Sooo I will show the RX-servos together tonight and hopefully get a chance tomorrow to set the pieces in my Cox Corsair.

Here are the Old 72MHz and the newest 2.4GHz receiver and servo combinations together for comparison.
* Please note this is only one setup of many different combinations available over the years and your experiences may have been better or worse as far as availability of small/compact  equipment. I do not mean to slight any manufacturer in any way. These are MY experiences.

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Img_9910
 ________________________ oops.   /\   sorry the R400 2.4GHz 4channel RX is upside down.
happydad

happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Empty Re: Off Topic Comparison of old and new RC receivers

Post  andrew Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:59 am

HD --

You may have an early version of the LemonRX. The most recent RX's are all surface mount and do not have a large cap on board. There is an extensive thread over in RCG on the Lemon that is quite complimentary. It's performance is as good or better than the Orange and the company is much more user friendly than Hobby King. A 5 pack is $26 USD with minimal shipping and quick delivery (for China).

I generally file the header pins down on the bottom side and add antenna support to reduce stress fracturing where the antennas are soldered to the board.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 am

I have had good performance out of my Corona modulated receivers. They get badmouthed about forgetting things and such, but I never had that happen. They are perfect for trainers, I would hesitate to put them into something big, expensive, or fast. (although "big" "expensive" and "fast" have a range of meanings) The unit I rigorously range tested was still good at a mile.

I just sent all my modulated RX (4 receivers) with my Hi-Tec Flash 4 (and an ebay Flash 5) up to my Dad and brothers so they have good equipment for their trainers. 2 tx and 5 rx should have them set for a long time.

I will say that modulated receivers are an excellent way to get life out of older equipment to get more people flying on a budget.

I also am in the country so I am not competing for bandwidth like some other locations. I fly out of my yard over the farm fields, or go down to the local school and fly out of the parking lot over the farm fields.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Empty re: post of Cox Warbird Corsair RC setup

Post  happydad Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:44 pm

happydad wrote:mark: Thanks for your comments. I had intended to show the receivers and servos all together then the R400 and 3.7gram servo in my Cox Warbird Corsair RC conversion, but I was called to dinner. Sooo I will show the RX-servos together tonight and hopefully get a chance tomorrow to set the pieces in my Cox Corsair.

Here are the Old 72MHz and the newest 2.4GHz receiver and servo combinations together for comparison.
* Please note this is only one setup of many different combinations available over the years and your experiences may have been better or worse as far as availability of small/compact  equipment. I do not mean to slight any manufacturer in any way. These are MY experiences.

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Img_9910
 ________________________ oops.   /\   sorry the R400 2.4GHz 4channel RX is upside down.
happydad

Well I finally got around to digging out the Cox Warbird Corsair for RC conversion again and temporarily placed the Brushed ESC and 2.4GHz receiver into the fuselage to see how they fit and to compare the Lemon 2.4GHz 6channel RX with the OrangeRX R400 4channel RX.

In the first picture is the "Lemon" 2.4GHX 6channel RX.

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Img_9916

The second picture is the OrangeRX R400 4channel RX.

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Img_9917

The physical size of the receivers are similar, but the R400 is 2grams or .1ounce lighter.

happydad

RC Plane  Futaba Radio  RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:07 pm

A $20 10gram brushless outrunner and 6a BL ESC combo would go a long way.  RC Plane 
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Empty re: brushless versus brushed motor

Post  happydad Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 pm

microflitedude wrote:A $20 10gram brushless outrunner and 6a BL ESC combo would go a long way.  RC Plane 

MFD: Thanks for the comments.
   Remember I am retired and on a $0 budget for toys. The only money I can spend on models is the money I make by buying and selling engines, RC parts, and etc. Being on social security is not only the pits, but it only increases like every 2 years and usually 1 - 1 1/2%. That isn't much of an increase for $1000 per month social security check, (and my house payment is 2x that).
   Besides a brushless motor in this 20inch wingspan plane would probably rip the nose off the fuselage the first time someone tried to go vertical. This plane with this tiny brushed motor has been seen on utube doing all kinds of stunts. Most of the guys I have followed as I looked at modifying the Cox Warbird Corsair went with the standard motor.

happydad

RC Plane  Futaba Radio  RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Neat conversion, I 've often thought about trying to convert a plastic U/C rtf to R/C, lol, something like a Wen-Mac Corsair, the older and cheesier the better!
Brushless motors rock, plain and simple, if the power is ok with the set-up you have a brushless would lighten the nose if you went smaller. Here's a pick of a Li'l stick with a small cheap brushless from Hobby King, it probably pulls as well as a Pee Wee .020.
Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers 86297011
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Empty re: lil stick

Post  happydad Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:54 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Neat conversion, I 've often thought about trying to convert a plastic U/C rtf to R/C, lol, something like a Wen-Mac Corsair, the older and cheesier the better!
Brushless motors rock, plain and simple, if the power is ok with the set-up you have a brushless would lighten the nose if you went smaller. Here's a pick of a Li'l stick with a small cheap brushless from Hobby King, it probably pulls as well as a Pee Wee .020.
Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers 86297011

Mark: What is the flying weight and wingspan of the lil stick? My Cox Warbird Corsair with 20inch wingspan is targeting 5ounces without landing gear. It is painted injected foam.
   I don't have a picture of my Corsair, but this is a picture I downloaded from another forum.
Off Topic  Comparison of old and new RC receivers Corsai10
Notice the cutout for battery access. I haven't decided how to handle that yet. I don't want to weaken the fuselage area anymore than it is now.

happydad

happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down