Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 Cox_ba12

Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 Empty
Live on Patrol

Oriental ARF assembly

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Mad Re: Oriental ARF assembly

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:29 pm

Nope, still not finished. I've made some decals and tonight I started putting the canopy on, the part I least looked forward to. Not so bad though, thanks to Ken's advice. I sanded the excess flashing off ot the canopy on my glass, and then taped sandpaper to the fuse and finished it there. It has to be forced into shape with pressure and taped down. Then I traced it with a mechanical pencil, leaving a mark and a guide groove. New exacto blade, trace it with the knife, and removed the ARFkote. Then I used the edge of some folded stiff sandpaper to gouge a recess for the canopy. It fits nicely. I painted the bare wood with a coat of black dope. I will probably leave it flat black. Next time I'll attach the fighter jet pilot that I found in the grass at the field last year and epoxy the canopy in place. Some of my work is less than perfect, so I'll trim it with black pinstriping tape.
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 WP_20150403_022_zpswqyaxpns
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 WP_20150403_021_zps9kwqhycz

Here are pictures of my cowling. I bored one mistake hole right above the needle valve, but I'll put a sticker or something over it. And I'll change the overflow tube to copper or brass to secure it better.
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 WP_20150403_012_zpsnxbiuwzv
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 WP_20150403_010_zpsw8abjpm3

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:35 pm

Certainly looking more sporty. Can't wait to do some larger builds...
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:38 pm

rogermharris wrote:Certainly looking more sporty.  Can't wait to do some larger builds...
Thanks, Roger. I maidened it last Tuesday and posted a flight report in "Flying Discussions." I never seem to completely finish the cosmetic parts before I get it all greasy.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rogermharris Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:45 pm

RknRusty wrote:
rogermharris wrote:Certainly looking more sporty.  Can't wait to do some larger builds...
Thanks, Roger. I maidened it last Tuesday and posted a flight report in "Flying Discussions." I never seem to completely finish the cosmetic parts before I get it all greasy.
Rusty
LOL! Yea. It makes it a bit harder to get things to stick once it's covered in oil. I re I read the report. Very informative. I have enjoyed following the build the short time I've been here
rogermharris
rogermharris
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:36 am

I  see a 500 point pattern in the making. Put a small pin in the bottom of your pilot. He will look real funny bouncing around in there if he comes loose.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:44 am

Ken Cook wrote:I  see a 500 point pattern in the making. Put a small pin in the bottom of your pilot. He will look real funny bouncing around in there if he comes loose.
Hot damn, I'd take that! Those top end points are the hardest to get. Little things like Takeoff and Landing, Level Flight and smooth pullouts and transitions. My best ever was in October I amazingly scored a 417.5 in the Profile event with the Osprey, but I think the judges were excessively generous. It was Dave Wenzel and the guy from Florida who's name I can never remember.

I hated burying the tip of my knife in that top sheeting. I don't know how deep it is, 1/16" I guess. I thought I felt a stringer, but when I took the oval of covering off it turned out to be a glue joint in a seam that I had felt. I worried the whole time about screwing its structural integrity, like cutting a T-top in a sports car. Rather than black dope, I considered a patch of charcoal colored sandpaper, bit it was getting late and I'm lazy, so black dope it was. Aerogloss, actually. I hope epoxy sticks to it. I think it will. I'll scuff it out of the groove. And I'll put a pinhole in the canopy and fuselage to keep it from fogging or popping loose in the hot sun.
Rockin' Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:02 am

1: you forgot to paint something on the helmet, even if it is just your name.

2: repeat after me "I will cut installed film on sheeting with a soldering iron" you can thank me later, or not, but you will wonder why you ever tried using knives to cut installed film on sheeting

Phil.
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:51 am

pkrankow wrote:1: you forgot to paint something on the helmet, even if it is just your name.
Ah good point, thanks. A name commonly goes on the fuse under the canopy too, right?

pkrankow wrote:2: repeat after me "I will cut installed film on sheeting with a soldering iron"  you can thank me later, or not, but you will wonder why you ever tried using knives to cut installed film on sheeting

Phil.
Thanks. Actually I've used a soldering iron or a red hot knife blade since my first roll of Ultracote, but in this case I wanted to also puncture the wood, so there would be no question of where to gouge my groove for the canopy to seat in.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:36 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the canopy and cutting through the stringers. Obviously not a good practice but it didn't seem to hurt mine. I put mine straight in from the top of the circle. I totally obliterated the aluminum spinner. Wings were toothpicks. I didn't know they could shatter in that many pieces. I weighed the idea of rebuilding it and once I started into it, I threw it out. These were not designed with repairing in mind. The wing construction of this plane doesn't resemble the wing of the kit version. I saved the fuse which is actually in very good condition. If you need a fuse, I have one for you. The cowling is cracked in multiple places and I also broke the backplate of the engine. All in all a good crash if I must say so myself. But, the canopy stayed intact and on the plane and the front end didn't shatter off.    Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 Dscn2315
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 Dscn2316
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 Dscn2317
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:11 pm

Damn, that was quite a wreck! If I need a fuse I'll let you know. Could happen. Was it under power when it hit?

I got my canopy on, not as professional looking as I had hoped, but it won't come off. And it looks great from 10 feet away. I tapped the tongue muffler and installed it. The CG moved back a little, still forward of the edge of the sheeting, but I don't expect it'll bother me. I keep forgetting to check the vertical CG. I ordered a nice Great Planes black spinner with an aluminum backplate. I'll get my decals on in time to fly Tuesday.

The weight is now down to 44.8 oz.
Ken, what do yours weigh?
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:14 pm

Rusty, that is what mine weighed prior to the carnage. What diameter lines are you using and what length? The ARF Oriental that I rebuilt is the lightest of the bunch. That weight 39 ounces and uses the MAX-S.35 for power. My Fox .35 Oriental weighs 42 oz's. The MAX-S has been giving me terrible fits. They can be most problematic in terms of air leaks around the venturi. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm flying on .015" lines with an Allen Brickhaus cable handle. I like that handle a lot. I need to get a couple more of them.

I have a MAX-S 35 that I've never cranked. Us it worth using on any plane?

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:31 am

Rusty, the MAX-S is a very solid running engine. It has a bit more over the Fox .35 and weighs pretty close without muffler. Quality is certainly better than the Fox. It does have it's problems. The connecting rods had a coating within the holes similar to a titanium nitride drill bit. Once that was worn off, the rod quickly egged out and performance fell off. I also do away with the brass end padded wrist pin. Dan has made a bunch of us new wrist pins with Delrin end pads.  These like a large wider paddled prop like the Zinger XW. They generally don't shake like the Fox. They also work well with the stock strap on muffler if the hole is enlarged. A good engine for converting glow fuel back into castor oil. If you have the stock needle and spraybar, hang onto it as they're a special size and are becoming more and more difficult to locate. Jim Lee makes a nice Delrin venturi for these. I purchased one at Huntersville and while I know I have it, it hasn't resurfaced. I think it might be in the suitcase pouch somewhere. One thing I have noted about the MAX-S is that when the oil content is high, they can shut off like a switch even using the hottest plug.

We had a Philly Flier member Bill Richards whom I haven't seen in several years who used the MAX-S in a Oriental. That engine defied all others I ever witnessed. It just had unrealistic performance. It flew that CLC kitted Oriental with authority. Bill used Powermaster GMA in that engine exclusively. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:35 am

Hmmm, I probably won't be using that one. I'm not sure where I got it, maybe it was one Ray Copeland gave me in H'ville along with the Skyray in 2013. But I'll paste your reply into my engine notes folder in case I ever need to know. Thanks.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:12 pm

Rusty, don't hang that one up. It's a very credible engine. It works terrifically in most of the commercially available models.I didn't want to make it sound like a bad one. It's unfortunate that parts are no longer obtainable through OS for this engine. I'm certain we would see them take to the skies once again. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:28 pm

Another Monday coming, and I'm up late.
I re-plumbed the fuel system to secure the lines and make it easier for fueling without the siphoning trouble i had on Maiden day. And printed some decals ripped off of Google for some better looking graphics than the ones that came in the box. My beautiful cowl is getting hangar rash from so many on and off operations. So I dipped my finger in some 5 minute epoxy and went around the edges of everything to try and keep it from getting ugly quite as fast.

I made a nice looking needle out of a semi decent looking OS wiggler. I tried this once and it failed, so I applied the best fix for any metal objects... JB Weld. Or more precisely, JB Quick. I love that stuff. My test puddle is usually stronger than me.

I used Microsoft Word's Word Art to make the shifting colors in the text on the wings. Testors 8.5"x5.5" transparent water slide decal paper for inkjet printers. You have to spray it with clear, so I use Lustrekote. A heavy hit too, the stuff isn't affected at all by it, so one heavy coat and some heat blowing near it, and it's ready to apply in a couple of hours. I've done it much sooner with no problems.. I traced around the edges of the decals with Aerogloss clear. I did that to the seams of the covering on the whole empennage too. I know everyone says that stuff is no good for a super finish, but it's fuelproof and clear, so for my simple needs it's great and I get it at my LHS. That's a single coat of black Aerogloss on the floor of the canopy too. Those are the only two colors I have, and I've heard that clear is all they make now.

Here are some pics. Even got some Oriental text on the fuse under the pilot. It says "Russ the Nailer" in Chinese
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 WP_20150405_002_zpstpqyxmuj

Russ the Nailer!
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 WP_20150405_009_zpsn1ab9s7d
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 WP_20150405_007_zpsh6yjivsk

In this one you can see the overflow tube sticking out the side.
Oriental ARF assembly - Page 5 WP_20150405_004_zpsfulh0a72

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:34 am

Rusty the cowling on these develop cracks very quickly. Your needle valve hole is one I would keep an eye on. The cowling hinges on the 2 side screws allowing it to pivot up and down. This develops spider web cracks very quickly. It really is unavoidable. This is really due to the cowling being pinched up against the fuse sides, this makes the top crack directly down the center. The fiberglass is very abrasive and acts like a cut off wheel when vibration and fuel residue is present. It could saw through your needle valve. Mine cut all the way through my venturi. Your plane looks great which is no surprise. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:12 am

Rusty your airplane looks GREAT !! Your building skills are showing great improvement . Nice find on the pilot . bounce
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  steve thornton Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:33 am

I really like the black under the cockpit and the pilot looks great too. I think I have a yellow spinner for a Fox 35 that may look good if you want it and if I can find it.
Steve
steve thornton
steve thornton
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5