Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What a day at the field! Cox_ba12

What a day at the field! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 7:23 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What a day at the field! Empty
Live on Patrol

What a day at the field!

Go down

What a day at the field! Empty What a day at the field!

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:07 pm

I'm tired so this is a short report. I'll write more later, but we got some flights on video. Here is matt on the Ringmaster and me on the Ray Ray.

Matt:
https://youtu.be/bV7kVzuSHr8

And me:
https://youtu.be/u8FCD9MpOoE

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

What a day at the field! Empty Re: What a day at the field!

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:38 pm

So I'll do a little writing while y'all digest those videos.
It was about Noon thirty before we got to the field, and Wayne arrived before us along with Jim, the Jackson Flyers president and a few RC people. The Ring needed some work. We outfitted it with a 3 oz tank, the old Brodak uniflow wedge off of the Yak, which now has a 4 oz tank. I brought the Shoestring too. Wayne had planned to do some more trim flights on his Smoothie and vector in prep for Brodak, but due to the wind, he left them in the truck, and the SS remained idle. But that didn't slow us down flying the beaters one bit!

Matt and I took turns flying, pitting for each other and familiarizing him with CL protocol. I took the lines of the Ring a couple of times for inverted trimming reasons and after a couple of trips to the pitts, Matt and Wayne had worked on his needle valve and tank, and it was hitting the Fox sweet spot pretty well. It didn't take long for Matt to get the hang of some nice wingovers, and in a couple more flights he was doing inside loops.

Meanwhile I had been flying some full pattern maneuvers, not very well, having concentration problems as I frequently do. I turned the handle over to Wayne. I've never been sure if some of my ugliness is due to the plane of if it's just me, and I wanted to see him put a pattern on it. He's never flown it, so I fueled it up and off we went. He wrung it out like mad and reported upon landing that it has no bad habits. So my answer is clear... it's me. lol! I think he was surprised too. He has some tricks he does in flight for the purpose of exposing trim problems, and the Ray proved to be solid as a rock. No more excuses for me, I need to focus and concentrate.

Time was marching on and I realized we needed to get Matt on camera, so I set it up on the upwind side and he knocked out a great flight. He's pretty sure one of his earlier ones was the greatest... hmmm, sounds like me Lol. I'm always sure the camera missed my crown jewel of the day. lol! 

I decided to go one more time, the camera was up, and I was determined I would fly a full pattern. I did. In a so-so sort of way. The second half of the reverse wingover comes up so quickly, it has to be automatic. I missed the second wingover from inverted, but finished it a lap later. I only completely broke one maneuver and aborted, and that was the hourglass. I was so flustered I went straight to the clover leaf and forgot the OH8, but went back and did it next. On the clover my second high loop was way too low, but I got through it. That's the first time i've done one.

It was a really fun day. I'm glad we could all get together and organize this trip. Matt will progress quickly, and may be the new owner of the old Ray Ray if he wants it, as soon as I finish building my new one. It's clear he will be needing another aerobatic plane. And after seeing Wayne fly mine today, I'm speechless with my mouth open seeing what it can really do in the hands of a competent pilot.

So, there's my flight report. See y'all in the funny papers,
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Looking good out there Rusty. Once you develop the muscle memory you can work on making them look pretty. Everything new that you performed was easily identified, but I did appreciate the subtitles  Very Happy 

Matt! Impressive man. How many times have you flown? I put in a lot of level laps before I was doing loops.

Great videos guys!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:59 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:...Matt! Impressive man. How many times have you flown? I put in a lot of level laps before I was doing loops.

Great videos guys!

Ron

I think I have my Matt flight count figured out. Matt, correct me if I'm wrong.
Here it is:
1) One electric CL flight at Joe Nall 2012
2) the Li'l Satan on Traveling prop day 2012 when he launched into a wingover and caught it and flew out the tank
3) an electric at Joe Nall 2014
4-6) the Ringmaster at Joe Nall 2014
7-10) or more at Fort Jax today. In the wind, no less. The RC guys mostly wouldn't fly today. Wusses. Laughing 

All planned landings. Incredible. If he ever gets interested in CLPA, he'll be kicking our asses around pretty good. lol!

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:25 am

That was some great flying Rusty and Matt.

It is always nice to get that one step further in the sport. It is a great feeling.

Congrats Guys.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:30 am

Looking good guys ! man ill be happy when I can fly 1/2 that good , Thanks for the entertainment Rusty,, Eric Very Happy  Biplane 
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:23 am

Very Nice! Both plane's engines sounded real good. It's always helpful when you don't have your concentration broken by an unsteady engine-run... especially if it's windy. Glad you had fun!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:34 am

Thanks guys. Roddie, both of those engines are really sweet. Matt's Fox breaks right when it needs to, except the tank keeps slipping out of place until he remakes the mount for it. He's running it on a 9x6 prop. My OS .25fp has been a great engine. I have not touched the needle valve since the last weekend in April before Huntersville when the clunk line fell off.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down