Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting ! Cox_ba12

Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting ! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 9:54 am

» How's the weather?
by HalfaDave Today at 9:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by sosam117 Today at 8:24 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting ! Empty
Live on Patrol

Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting !

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting ! Empty Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting !

Post  Kim Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:13 pm

I JUST GOT THE NEWS:

Cox International has announced that all participants in Tach Race 2012 will receive a FREE Cox 5-3 Gray Propeller!

AND-------- Bernie is donating a Cox Sure Start Engine, to be awarded to the winner of the Novice Class!

Thanks to Bernie and Cox International for their Support! http://coxengines.ca/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's something to spice up your winter months...A Tach Race! Originating over on the .049 Collectors Group, it's a test of each engine's performance with a designated, common Propeller, Fuel, and Test Stand. Also all engines will be run in a single afternoon to make, as closely as possible, a level playing field as far as atmospheric conditions.

I'll be hosting the contest this year, and have already deputized fellow Nerd of Tech, my friend Rory. The race will take place on Saturday January 7th, 2012 up here at the Skunk Works. A rain/emergency date is set for the following Saturday the 14th. I need to receive all contestants' engines by Thursday, January 5th to insure I've got time to sort it all out.

I've pasted a portion of the report by Chris McMillin, the C.D. of the previous Tach Race. Better to use his words to describe the nature of this DIFFERENT kind of race! I'll post his entire report in another post to help spread things out a bit. It's a good read !

Below Chris' report are the rules for this year's race. I'm not a competitor, but can start and run engines fairly well, and will be relying on Mark and Chris to help guide me and answer questions.

Please let me know of any questions the rule page doesn't answer !!!! You can also find information (and great photos) over on the Yahoo .049 Collectors Group.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
First Annual 049 Collector’s Proxy Tach Race

Mark Boesen, our fearless leader of the 049 Collector’s Yahoo Group originated this winter event as a doldrums lifter for
those in the colder states, and countries as well as a nice diversion for those in all “states of mind” around the globe. It
started as a “whatta ya’ think of this?” kind of thing and ended up a real event when Mark designated me as the head
judge and engine runner due to my location where nice weather could be counted upon.

Seven people entered nine engines in our Tach Race 2009. With limited notice, some beautiful and purposeful engines
were entered and sent to Southern California to a guy that only two had actually met face to face before. Trusting
individuals, modelers are!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
RULES For "TACH RACE" 2012

Unlimited Class:

Any combination of Cox parts, reed or rear rotor.

Any porting, grinding, chopping, you think will work.

Any head/glow plug or glowhead, RR-1 & Wilse RR type of rear induction systems are fine.

NO front induction TD/Medallion crank/crankcase.

NO Cyclone, VA, & Norvel stock or modified to reed induction. Intent is that these be Cox-based engines like the Black Widow, Sure-Start, Space Hopper, RR-1, Space Hopper, etc.

Mouse 1:

Any AMA legal Cox rear reed, with tank. Except no Cyclone
conversion. See AMA rules for more info.

Fuel used will be Powermaster 30 nitro/20 oil 50/50 castor synthetic or equivalent. Prop is a APC 4.75"Dx4"P

Contestants will send engines (Limit one engine per class) in a returnable box with return label filled out (no priority mail) plus $5 return shipping. Results will be posted on this and the .049 Collectors Group site as soon as they're completed.

Last edited by Kim on Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting ! Empty Full Length 2009 Tach Race Results/Report by Chris McMillin

Post  Kim Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:27 pm

First Annual 049 Collector’s Proxy Tach Race

Mark Boesen, our fearless leader of the 049 Collector’s Yahoo Group originated this winter event as a doldrums lifter for
those in the colder states, and countries as well as a nice diversion for those in all “states of mind” around the globe. It
started as a “whatta ya’ think of this?” kind of thing and ended up a real event when Mark designated me as the head
judge and engine runner due to my location where nice weather could be counted upon.

Seven people entered nine engines in our Tach Race 2009. With limited notice, some beautiful and purposeful engines
were entered and sent to Southern Caifornia to a guy that only two had actually met face to face before. Trusting
individuals, modelers are!

Graham Collins, Bernie and Xena Look and Paul Gibeault sent engines from frozen Canada and rounded out our
International contingent this year. Not only that, they were all very generous with support of the event, Graham sending
a finely made engine mount in which the engines were all run save one, and Paul sent the balanced props and two of his
tachometers for me to use. Bernie and Xena sent me their entry gratis, a very nice gesture.

Our US entrants were Mark Boesen, Nick Van Matre, and Reggie Johnson. Hopeful Leo Squires sent me an engine that
had been converted to a ball bearing supported crank. Technical issues prevented a competitive run after an fairly
extensive testing period at his home before shipping, and though disappointed he’ll come back next Tach Race with this
elegant Unlimited Cox reedy. I’m sure his new lathe will produce some great runners later this year, too.

The event is simple enough, see which engine turns the highest rpm on the same prop and fuel on the same day in the
same conditions. The APC 4 .75x4 propeller was chosen and I procured some Sig 35% nitro, 20% castor fuel.
The engine categories were devised by Mark, he chose a Mouse 1 style class and an Unlimited class. Both had to be Cox
reed engines, Mouse conforming to the Mouse 1 AMA rules and Unlimited a more wide open class for the more creative
among us. All engines this year were to be based on a Cox reed valve engine, no Tee Dee’s, Shuriken’s, Cyclon’s, etc.
were allowed.

With six Unlimiteds and three Mouse 1 entries I went to work. I mounted Graham’s machined motor mount to the large
engine beam mount test stand and bolted up the engines with integral tanks first. Paul “Mouse King” Gibeault sent two
control props, one as a spare, balanced with a machined insert for a precise mounting hole and the appointed day
dawned warm and moderate. With the sun shining brightly and the temperature at a relatively steady 64 to 68 degrees
and 65% over the course of the runs, I was confident that our little “fun match” would produce a pretty fair contest
between engine builders.

I ran Graham’s Mouse 1 Cox car case hybrid engine first and recorded his times noting he made a great looking engine
that was easy to start and run, the needle being sensitive but not too peaky. His engine was new, and had one run on it so it should produce a fine racing engine with a little more testing.

Paul Gibeault’s Mouse1 Golden Bee was very impressive for it’s peaky surging and abiity to produce a fierce shriek. His
Mouse was tops in RPM’s but the steadiness was not there and had too much compression for a practical needle.

Mark Boesen’s anodized Blue Bee with the cylinder on it’s side ran spectacularly. It started first flip, had a nice, quick
needle but sat steady for a huge RPM number within striking distance of Paul’s Golden Bee.

Mouse 1 Results;

1st place Paul Gibeault Golden Bee Racer 20,400 RPM

2nd place Mark Boesen Blue Bee Sidewinder 18,900 RPM

3rd place Graham Collins Cox Car Custom 17,300 RPM

Next the Unlimited Class was up.

I ran Paul Gibeault’s Venom, which holds the Mouse record set when operated by Bob and Bobby Fogg of California and it still has the stuff. The engine was again set up the same way as Paul did his Mouse 1. He had to guess what number of head shims to use. Our Southern California weather wasn’t quite as hot on contest day as it would have had to have been for the head shim count to hit the sweet spot, but it still put up impressive numbersand was easy to start with the starter spring. It was too over-compressed and very difficult to needle; once set at a nominal spot it surged instead of settling to a steady run. Even so, it was controllable enough to tach and he again won top spot!

Reggie Johnson sent a gorgeous purple Cox Custom engine with the Bee tank enclosing a venturi instead of carrying fuel.
The engine was an easy starter, had a super quick needle but was right on with a steady run and great performance.
Pretty and potent it was a fun engine to run.

Nick Van Matre sent his entry, which was a Reggie Johnson cast case Cox Custom on a plastic venturi mount that didn’t
disappoint. Another easy starter, it ran right up to hot RPM’s and was a very nice looking engine in it’s yellow painted
case and polished cylinder.

Mark Boesen sent an Unlimited that I nicknamed the Red Rocket. It was another engine that the builder had only run
once before shipping it off to California and it performed beautifully. Red anodize was set off by a polished aluminum
bent sheet type mount with a rear venturi and it had all of the good traits of easy starts, even by hand, and a very
surprisingly docile needle response, especially for it’s performance.

Bernie and Xena Look sent me a stunning gift, a red anodized extruded case product engine on a plastic venturi mount
that’s appearance is a real treat to behold. Another super easy starter, it ran right up and held a steady performance that was no slouch. Thank You!

Unlimited Class results;

1st place Paul Gibeault Cox Venom 20,200 RPM

2nd place Mark Boesen Cox Red Rocket Custom 19,800 RPM

3rd place Reggie Johnson Cox purple custom 19,400 RPM

4th place Nick Van Matre Cox cast case custom 18,800 RPM

5th place Bernie and Xena Look Cox red anodize custom 18,300 RPM

So from 11am to 3 pm I had run all of the engines, had a very good time operating them and I’m sure glad that Mark
Boesen came up with this idea for a winter time respite for us all. I now have a renewed interest in the little Cox reed
valve engines, and their super performance.

I am very grateful for the participant’s that were brave enough to mail their racing engines to a internet acquaintance so I could run them in their absence. What trusting souls and great sports all of you are.

Stay tuned for more interesting engines from these folks, and I hope Mark invites us all again to another 049 Collectors
Tach Race in the future.

Chris McMillin 2009
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting ! Empty Re: Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting !

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:11 am

Is there not going to bee a newb class? Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting ! Empty Re: Tach Race 2012 New Announcement--12-9-11--Check First Posting !

Post  SuperDave Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:41 am

You guys can play with RPM's while I go flying. Works 4 me. Airplane
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:13 pm

I am not so sure what 35% nitro will do to my glowhead. Shocked
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:41 pm

microflitedude wrote:I am not so sure what 35% nitro will do to my glowhead. Shocked

Its fine!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:46 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Is there not going to bee a newb class? Smile

Gonna check with Mark. Think it might work in the Mouse Class. It's a just for fun contest, and I'll run whatever is sent.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:09 pm

OK cool!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Nitro, If theres a class for newer modelers, what do you think would be better:

Same rules, only CD would determine who would compete in Novice Class or have a 3rd class for Novices (or anybody?) for Sure Start engines, using any type of modifying (porting, compression, lapping, etc.) they want to do to a STOCK Sure Start.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:30 pm

Hey Mark,

When do the engines need to be in by?

Regards, Matt

NEVERMIND, DIDN'T READ THE WHOLE POST LOL

Last edited by EXModelEngines on Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:34 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Nitro, If theres a class for newer modelers, what do you think would be better:

Same rules, only CD would determine who would compete in Novice Class or have a 3rd class for Novices (or anybody?) for Sure Start engines, using any type of modifying (porting, compression, lapping, etc.) they want to do to a STOCK Sure Start.

Thanks Mark! Just so you all know, I'm up for whatever you want to try. At the very worst, we could spread the race over a couple of days...but complete each class in a given day.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:38 pm

EXModelEngines wrote:Hey Mark,

Regards, Matt

Hey Matt!

I'd like to get all engines in by Thursday, the 5th. I've already made sure that I won't be working on the weekend of the race, but don't know what the week before will look like.

Later! Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:43 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Nitro, If theres a class for newer modelers, what do you think would be better:

I am not sure but just a place for those who are new to getting performance out of engines.
Like I dont make engines for peak performance just what it takes to fly a plane.
So I think we are rather trustworthy here and it should be completely unlimited and people should only send engines on to get a feel for the whole thing for instance I have no idea what soever I should be aiming for using ETC I really mean just so we can get a feel for the event.
just an idea.
Indra
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:46 pm

I think I will send one in just for the fun of it. Now to choose Huh... .....
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:50 pm

microflitedude wrote:I think I will send one in just for the fun of it. Now to choose Huh... .....

I am thinking my little Super bee product thing I know it wont win but want to see where its at compared to others.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  EXModelEngines Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Kim wrote:
EXModelEngines wrote:Hey Mark,

Regards, Matt

Hey Matt!

I'd like to get all engines in by Thursday, the 5th. I've already made sure that I won't be working on the weekend of the race, but don't know what the week before will look like.

Later! Kim

Thanks, yeah, saw that after I posted. lol!

I'll try to get an engine together in early December.

Matt
EXModelEngines
EXModelEngines
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Official Cox Dealer

http://www.exmodelengines.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:11 pm

nitroairplane wrote:

I am not sure but just a place for those who are new to getting performance out of engines.
Like I dont make engines for peak performance just what it takes to fly a plane.
So I think we are rather trustworthy here and it should be completely unlimited and people should only send engines on to get a feel for the whole thing for instance I have no idea what soever I should be aiming for using ETC I really mean just so we can get a feel for the event.
just an idea.
Indra

...Tempted to name it "The Redneck Class", but don't want to evoke any tags that MIGHT be perceived as degrading!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:23 pm

I am not technically a redneck but I think you should call a class that Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:50 pm

Kim wrote:...Tempted to name it "The Redneck Class", but don't want to evoke any tags that MIGHT be perceived as degrading!

nitroairplane wrote:I am not technically a redneck but I think you should call a class that Smile

I am technically a redneck. Well, that's not entirely true, there's no "technically" to it --- I'm just a redneck. Since I'm already degraded, "The Redneck Class" works just fine.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:08 pm

OK...haven't heard back from Mark, we were thinking about calling it the Sure Start Class...not sure I should have hijacked it with my suggestion at calling it the Redneck Class (which is definitely NOT a derogatory term with my crowd...we wear the term proudly and affectionately!), but we can go with either name on my part.

I had knocked around the idea of just a general class for, as Nitro suggested, a chance for Novices to flex their engines' muscles in what may be the first time for them in any form of contest. This IS a fun event, after all, and I figure we could let the engines' performance numbers fall where they will. If we do it, I intend to place EVERYONE...so you'll be on the board no matter what your engine ran. I figure even "Tail-End-Charlie' will be happy and proud to be included on the list because, for me at least, it's MOSTLY about taking part in the fun.

I've taken a total of 4 potential days off to run the contest, so time won't be an issue for me...and I DO like this stuff ! In an attempt to maintain a molecule or two of internet privacy on my part, please P.M. me with your entry, and I'll trade addresses with you. Also, please include a note, describing your engine in as technical or poetic detail as you would like, and verify the class in which you want it included.

While I can't be responsible for them while in the hands of the Postal Service, I do promise to take the utmost care with your Babe's while they're in my possession, and point them back home as soon as I can get them out.

I'm still making this up as I go, so please feel free to get your ideas/suggestions to Mark or me.

"Spin 'em up ,Gentlemen !"
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:14 am

I hate seing my beautiful 60's Bee doing nothing, I think I will send her on a little trip. Very Happy
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 am

Good luck!

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:08 pm

If my rebuild kit gets here tonight, i will be sending my moded golden bee. ^_^
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 pm

shell shock wrote:If my rebuild kit gets here tonight, i will be sending my moded golden bee. ^_^

Good luck!
I hope to send in a "super bee"
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:14 pm

im not going to need luck for the compition (its all in fun) i need luck in waiting for canada post.... damn snail mail... why cant we email this stuff yet? lol!
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next