Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Shrike question? Cox_ba12

Cox Shrike question? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Shrike question? Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Shrike question?

Go down

Cox Shrike question? Empty Cox Shrike question?

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:45 am

I have a green Shrike that's probably 1978 or so. Many parts are missing and I certainly would like to get this back in order. The rear wheels were removed but a very poor set was given to me. I was able to boil them for a few minutes which took some of the out of roundness out. The engine pod/nacelle was broken and replaced in wood. This was very poorly constructed. I see on Ebay that repro pods are being made for the Prop Rod. The metal chassis of the Prop rod appear to be very similar if not identical to the plastic chassis of the Shrike. Would the repro pod fit the Shrike? Unfortunately, it's not being offered in the green that I have, but I would certainly consider painting if need be. I believe this would make a very cool project. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Shrike question? Empty Re: Cox Shrike question?

Post  crankbndr Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:39 am

I am unsure if the parts interchange between the early Prop Rod and the Shrike but I do see many Shrike parts for low cost on eBay.
I can post em here, if you don't use eBay I'll fetch and forward them for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-Cox-049-SHRIKE-Prop-Rod-Tether-Car-/331249279663?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item4d1ffee2af
Cox Shrike question? Shrick10

My next project is going to be a Prop Rod like this one, I like early or first issues,

Cox Shrike question? Prop_r10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Shrike question? Empty Cox Shrike

Post  Bill steklenski Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:33 pm

Hello Ken, Its interesting to see a Shrike come together, I hope You can find more parts to complete this Car. I remember the "Shrike" in Four Distinctive colors, Green, Yellow, Red and Black. I remember back to the Early Seventies as We can Associate the "Lime Green' to the Era of "Sassy Grass Green" or "Green Go" that was painted on the 1970/ 1971 Cudas" . I believe the Yellow may also be from that 'Era". Years back there was A Gas Toy Collectors Club,,,,, Prior to MECA?? Anyhow I have many issues that are like one Third the size of the old Readers Digest publication, Some years back I spoke with a very reputable Collector and They Asked COX to Reproduce the " Shrike" in the Red Color, I have photos of the Red shrike in the 1995 cox Catalog. Then came along the R/C Shrike that was moulded in black. If I come across any parts I will let you know. Bill.
Bill steklenski
Bill steklenski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Shrike question? Empty re: Cox Shrike parts

Post  happydad Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:14 am

Ken Cook wrote:            I have a green Shrike that's probably 1978 or so. Many parts are missing and I certainly would like to get this back in order. The rear wheels were removed but a very poor set was given to me. I was able to boil them for a few minutes which took some of the out of roundness out. The engine pod/nacelle was broken and replaced in wood. This was very poorly constructed. I see on Ebay that repro pods are being made for the Prop Rod. The metal chassis of the Prop rod appear to be very similar if not identical to the plastic chassis of the Shrike. Would the repro pod fit the Shrike? Unfortunately, it's not being offered in the green that I have, but I would certainly consider painting if need be. I believe this would make a very cool project. Ken

The only Shrike "parts" I have seen other than entire/partial cars were the propguards. They were/are available on Ebay for about $10.00 for 2 pieces of the prebent aluminum. If you need more info please PM me

here is a picture of my Cox red Shrike pre-rebuild. Tires and most parts were in good shape except for dirt and grime.
Cox Shrike question? Shrike10- I just remembered Coxinternational.ca carries the rubber for the tires. as far as i know they do not carry the wheels. you should check with them.

edited 7-7-2014 at 10:15p.m. PST

happydad

RC Plane Futaba Radio  RC Plane

Last edited by happydad on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edited to add comment about coxinternational.ca carrying Cox Shrike tires.)
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Cox Shrike question? Empty Cox Shrike parts

Post  Bill steklenski Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 pm

It Does seem that the Cox parts are becoming more difficult to come by, However, Check out The Classic Tin Toy website and they have the wheels and tires for the vintage OK Cub Hot Rod, We all can Be Creative and Build a Custom Cox Vehicle.
Bill steklenski
Bill steklenski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Ken, Please be sure to post some some pics of your Shrike restoration. I too restored one of green Shrikes a couple years ago. The Shrike was one of my favorite cars from COX. I had a couple of them when I was a kid including the r/c version.
Also Bernie at COX Int'l sells replacement canopies as well as tires for the Shrike.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down