Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Cox_ba12

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Empty
Live on Patrol

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shocked My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff

Post  Kim Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:52 am

My Model Airplane Heroes and their Creations from Back in the Day

Haven't posted any of these in a while, and the ads, along with Mr. Wooten's Article in this issue (March 1957) of Model Airplane News, just seemed to click with me this morning.

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma20

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma19

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma18

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma10

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma11

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma12

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma13

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma14

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma15

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma16

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Old_ma17

Last edited by Kim on Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:05 pm; edited 17 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks Kim,

Is Riley still with us? I looked around a bit and it appears he may still be.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff

Post  Kim Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:42 am

I was thinking so, but not sure. Still using balsa from the big box I got from him several years ago...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:55 am

Model Airplane News, February 1955. "The Turb-o-Prop"!!!

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Turb-o10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:17 am

http://archivesite.jetex.org/motors/motors-accessories.html

Way cool. 20 seconds makes it a free flight only setup.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:41 am

pkrankow wrote:http://archivesite.jetex.org/motors/motors-accessories.html

Way cool.  20 seconds makes it a free flight only setup.

Phil

Maybe so...but I've had several Control Line and R/C endeavors that were over in a lot less than 20 seconds !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 am

Kim wrote:

Phil

Maybe so...but I've had several Control Line and R/C endeavors that were over in a lot less than 20 seconds !!!

I've been there too.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:55 pm

pkrankow wrote:
Kim wrote:

Phil

I've been there too.
Phil

Same Here.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:21 pm

I flew some Jetex 50's in my back yard. I attached a string to the gliders to tether them. That led to my interest in CL.

I THINK the Jetex 50's cost ~$1.50 and the fuel was ~$0.50/box. There was another brand (Jet-X?) available for ~$1.00 but I preferred Jetex. That stuff was expensive for a young teen back then. :-)

I remember those ads but was never interested in the gadget.

BTW, I think Riley Wooten competed in both Stunt and Combat. I remember some of us in a friend's basement building a stash of Quickers.
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:40 am

Old School Tips from the Old Days....

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Sketch10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:24 am

Very cool stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:08 am

One of my favorite threads!

Amazing how old guys bitch about the current AMA magazine being a big catalog while forgetting this has been the way it always has been.

I would usually only read the articles that interested me, but damn near wear out the mag looking at every advertisement over and over trying to decide where my $3 dollar "allowance" (per month for doing my chores) could buy the most cool stuff!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:20 am

fredvon4 wrote:One of my favorite threads!

Amazing how old guys bitch about the current AMA magazine being a big catalog while forgetting this has been the way it always has been.

I would usually only read the articles that interested me, but damn near wear out the mag looking at every advertisement over and over trying to decide where my $3 dollar "allowance" (per month for doing my chores) could buy the most cool stuff!

Yeah, America's Hobby Center catches a lot of flak (and maybe with some reason), but those and Scientific's Multiple-Page ads fired a LOT of imagined adventures...some of which even managed to come true.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:45 pm

Being in the Navy for 20 years we moved around alot, I shipped all my magazines at government (your) expense. Smile

That all changed later when I had to pay for my own moves. I dumped hundreds of pounds of American Modeler, American Rifleman, Road & track, Car and Driver etc.. Broke my heart.

I did cut out the car ads from the back of Road & Track's (remember those) and placed them in a loose leaf binder though. XK120's/140's for $795.00, Bugeyes for $300.00 and I don't even want to talk about the Healeys. Sad Even corrected for inflation they were bargains, and for the most part they were newer cars in great condition. Bought my '59 Bugeye for $500 in 1963.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:10 pm

I managed to get around the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR) by labeling my magazine collection as Government Books for a few moves. Eventually wife convinced me to just donate them to the USO- shipped free to Iraq and Afghanistan. Got a ton of e-mails thanking me for the various trips down memory lane from the soldiers that noticed I did not remove the mailing labels
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:02 am

Haven't posted one of these in a while, and so figured to do this one.  As much as anything, the title page photo is absolutely fascinating for me...how cool would it have been to be around when this great stuff was in it's heyday...

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Jay_de10

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Jay_de11

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Jay_de12

and, from the same issue:

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Jay_de14

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Jay_de13

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Jay_de15
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks for posting that Holland ad. I printed it out.

Good to see that Howard Johnson won the 1/2A open class. I used to eat at his restaurants. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:14 am

You're welcome...lot of Holland Hornet Talk going on lately, so figured it might be of some use !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:40 am

Good Stuff , Kim if the prices were now what they were then we would be so Deep In that it would hurt Laughing  A lot was before my time but really close to me anyway . I sure miss the good old days and they were compared to todays Rat Race surely meant some thing different back then. O well .......... Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:25 am

The bottom of that Dynamic Models Ad has the famous "Johnson Corecable" lines. Before them, you could get solid or stranded in stainless or non-stainless. I tried a set of Corecables and liked them very much. They had a bronze colored coating so you could easily identify them. The next spring I pulled out my lines, strung them out and did what I thought was a fair pull-test. First time I pulled hard up for a wingover the up line broke. After several outside loops getting closer to the ground, I was able to spring forward and allow the plane to go in softly, only breaking the rudder.

Apparently I had put away a set of non-stainless lines wet enough that they had completely rusted and I mistook those for the Corecables. NEVER made that mistake again. Kids do silly things. Time line was ~1959. Smile

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:37 am

Just found this issue of Model Airplane News while trying to get some order in my collection. It's filled with more than the usual number of photos (MY kind of magazine!), including an album on the "New" Goodyear Pylon Racing Class.

These were some dedicated dudes, not only building beautiful scale racers and trusting them to the radios of the time, BUT THEN...going out and actually RACING the things!!!

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Airway10

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Airway11

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Airway12
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:50 am

Maynard Hill and his gang of record setters in a 1968 Flying Models article that, when I was a kid, forever cemented my love of doing new things with 'those boxy old trainers'...WAY back before I'd ever flown an R/C plane.

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Duel_i10

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Duel_i11

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Duel_i12

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Duel_i13

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Duel_i14

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Duel_i15

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff Duel_i16

Last edited by Kim on Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:20 am

Haven't posted one of these in a while...check out the hardy souls in their plastic shelter!

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff F_m_5-10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:53 am

Kim, that's Garden State Circle Burners Club in the shelter. John one of the judges in the picture recently passed away in November of last year. I can vouch for that being an extremely cold place. However, many still fly there including myself. I frequent that field about 3 times a year. Attendance over the past few years has really fallen off aside from a few of the contests. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks Ken,

I hope that John was able to pursue his hobby deep into his later years.  When my Uncle Wayne first gave me these magazines (the original ones), I spent a lot of time imagining what it would be like to fly with a group out in the snow.   The couple of us that pushed to do it, didn't fair too well, and usually retreated back to building stuff.

Last edited by Kim on Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next