Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Cox_ba12

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Shocked Re: My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff

Post  Kim Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:12 am

More Retro Modeling Tips and a 1/2A Control Line Canard:

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Magazi10

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Magazi11

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Magazi12

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Magazi15

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Magazi13

Last edited by Kim on Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:47 am; edited 4 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff

Post  RknRusty Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:17 am

That Corrigan is interesting. I have a Li'l Satan kit that I could put together like that. As well as my old Li'l Satan flies with its TD .049, I have a hard time believing it could be improved on. But easy enough to undo if I didn't like it. It would sure be an attention getter at 1/2A day at the club. I'm not filling the wing with gussets though. Better not clamp that mayo jar in your vise.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:18 pm

My friend Dan has the Corrigan plane and we all flew it with a Black Widow. let's just say it's a handful. In the process of trying to trim it properly, it smacked the ground. Dan repaired it and he did manage to get some decent flights, but when the power cut it would inherently just dive into the ground uncontrollably. Under power it looked and flew rather well . Dan actually picked this plane up at one of the swap meets so there certainly could've been other issues in regards to incidence. It was the first canard like plane I witnessed fly. Dick Sarpolus had a .35 size canard that was featured in some of the magazines in the late 70's. I saw that get auctioned off at the Garden State Circle Burners swap in November. Dick brought it in and put it on the table and it went for a very low low price. Dick is a very interesting and fun guy to discuss models with.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:21 pm

Roland Friestad sells volumes of model mags on USB drives. His prices are quite reasonable and his products are excellent. A perfect way to relive your high school days or do research without pulling out magazines.
My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Roland10
My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Roland11
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:49 pm

GWILLIEFOX wrote:Roland Friestad sells volumes of model mags on USB drives.  His prices are quite reasonable and his products are excellent.  A perfect way to relive your high school days or do research without pulling out magazines.

On his website he says the pages are scanned at 300 dpi. How readable/reproducable are these at this resolution? I'm not up on dpi.

The Dip DPI Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:52 am

Not an expert on this, but if you think about old newspapers, they had black and white pictures only, and if you look at the pictures closely you'll see they are made of ink dots of various sizes. This method is called "halftone". I read somewhere that the raster of newsprint was less than 100dpi ("dots per inch") so with 300 dpi the resolution of these scans should be enough.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GWILLIEFOX Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:47 am

Almost anything I have posted on this forum are 300 dpi resolution. Friestad's scans are very readable and reproduce nicely. Sometimes the photos in the mags themselves where poor quality and that can't be corrected.
GWILLIEFOX
GWILLIEFOX
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:51 pm

Found this earlier today:

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 1_196712
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Freaky Fokker

Post  Kim Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:17 am

Came across this in a photo layout by Pete Bowers on the Anthony Fokker designs of WWI in the Spring 1959 Air Progress.

Wish there were three-views of it, and may be some lurking around out there.

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Odd_st11

I was surprised (probably shouldn't have been) at the design variations he tried in the search for more performance...including a Mercedes-powered Triplane.

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Odd_st12

Either would make an interesting modification to a Guillows or other DR-1.

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:10 pm

Interesting (?) historical note on the DR-I: It was originally designed/prototyped with cantilever wings. Military didn't trust the design so struts were added for production version.
Considering the history of the E-5/D-8, their concern may have been justified. Huh...
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:16 pm

wha-tah-hey wrote:Interesting (?) historical note on the DR-I: It was originally designed/prototyped with cantilever wings. Military didn't trust the design so struts were added for production version.
Considering the history of the E-5/D-8, their concern may have been justified. Huh...

Yeah, does look like a lot of area to hang out in the breeze unsupported...especially considering the twisting load they're meant for...

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 Odd_st13
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bamboozler Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:28 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Thanks Kim,

Is Riley still with us? I looked around a bit and it appears he may still be.

Ron

Yes he is. On http://stunthanger.com/ last active yesterday. Lookup riley wooten.
bamboozler
bamboozler
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:16 am

Parts of an article by Don McGovern from his "All Wet" column in the August 1968 issue of Flying Models.

Mr. McGovern was, and is still, one of my Model Airplane Heroes, and descriptive writings of his various adventures in the briny backwaters of New Jersey created images in my mind that exist to this day.

This is one of my favorites because of the bunch of photos included.

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 0_22

Not just a turn-out for a fun-fly, but a "FLOAT FUN-FLY!" with numerous flying boats lining the shore.
Pictures like this fired my imagination when I was 14.

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 1_82

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 4_51
My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 6_37

My Model Airplane Heroes and Their Creations from Back in the Day...and Other Cool Stuff - Page 2 8_30
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2