Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine Cox_ba12

Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine

Go down

Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine Empty Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine

Post  PeterJGregory Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:35 pm

I have seen forum-ites mentioning that the Tower Hobbies Cox Fuel is, ironically, not good for Cox engines due to lower than necessary castor oil.
Is it straightforward to just add castor oil, like 3% by volume more?

I bought a used Tee Dee 049 except it turned out to be a medallion. Is it straightforward to just replace Delrin body with a Tee Dee version and add a Tee Dee needle valve/spray bar and aluminum throat? (sounds like as many $ as the engine cost me(!))

I was reviewing the Guillow's Bellanca Cruisemaster plans and they show the Cox engine glow head wired to the outside of the cowl that totally enclosing the engine. Anybody with 1st-hand experience about how to set that up so it is reliable?

Many thanks in advance,
Poughkeepsie Pete
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine Empty Re: Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Cox super fuel has 18% oil and of that 90% is synthetic and 10% is Castor. General rule of thumb for these engines is 20% oil with at least 50% being castor.

Pretty much if you add castor to bring it up to 50% you would end up with glue.

The crankshafts in the Medallion and TD are very different as well as the cylinder porting. So you can't just change out carb/venturi assemblies and expect TD performance from your Medallion.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine Empty Re: Cox Fuel Mods, Converting Medallion to Tee Dee, onboard igniter wiring to engine

Post  anm2 Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:52 am

PeterJGregory wrote:I have seen forum-ites mentioning that the Tower Hobbies Cox Fuel is, ironically, not good for Cox engines due to lower than necessary castor oil.
Is it straightforward to just add castor oil, like 3% by volume more?

I bought a used Tee Dee 049 except it turned out to be a medallion. Is it straightforward to just replace Delrin body with a Tee Dee version and add a Tee Dee needle valve/spray bar and aluminum throat? (sounds like as many $ as the engine cost me(!))

I was  reviewing the Guillow's Bellanca Cruisemaster plans and they show the Cox engine glow head wired to the outside of the cowl that totally enclosing the engine. Anybody with 1st-hand experience about how to set that up so it is reliable?

Many thanks in advance,
Poughkeepsie Pete

Hi Peter, I would not recommend changing the medallion venturi body with a TeeDee venturi body, as I don't believe you would see any noticeable increase in power. I have replaced a TeeDee venturi body with a Medallion venturi body and obtained better fuel draw without a noticeable drop in power. Others on this forum have more experience, but I think all you would be doing by adding the TeeDee parts to the medallion is to have a hard to start medallion. Andy
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:01 am

I agree with all of the replies so far. You might as well keep it as a Medallion, which is a fine engine and much less finicky about pulling fuel from a tank than a Tee Dee. Though it doesn't develop as much power, it's still stronger than a Bee, and a nice addition to any inventory of Cox engines.

As for your Guillows question, I can't offer any help. Maybe someone will notice it and answer. If not, start another thread about that specific question.
Welcome to CEF.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Remote ignitors are generally reliable. There are kits, or hack up a clip, or otherwise roll your own. As long as the connections are good it will work well. Insufficient cooling is a bigger concern. Heat can kill these little engines pretty quick.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Cox super fuel has 18% oil and of that 90% is synthetic and 10% is Castor. General rule of thumb for these engines is 20% oil with at least 50% being castor.

Pretty much if you add castor to bring it up to 50% you would end up with glue.

The crankshafts in the Medallion and TD are very different as well as the cylinder porting. So you can't just change out carb/venturi assemblies and expect TD performance from your Medallion.

Ron

Thanks Ron on all your answers - Looks like I have to reorder another ~$50 gallon of fuel, this time the stuff from Sig.
Agreed, I will just fly the Medallion as a Medallion. I am not into collecting, I want to actually use engines.

Best - Peter

PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:30 pm

RknRusty wrote:I agree with all of the replies so far. You might as well keep it as a Medallion, which is a fine engine and much less finicky about pulling fuel from a tank than a Tee Dee. Though it doesn't develop as much power, it's still stronger than a Bee, and a nice addition to any inventory of Cox engines.

As for your Guillows question, I can't offer any help. Maybe someone will notice it and answer. If not, start another thread about that specific question.
Welcome to CEF.
Rusty

Thanks, Rusty - Peter
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:32 pm

I am left scratching my head - what good is Cox fuel if not Cox engines? I feel pretty duped by Tower who I bought it from (4 quarts at nearly $50/ gallon, delivered).
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down