Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!


Cox .020 freeflight Cox_ba12




Cox .020 freeflight Pixel

Log in

I forgot my password

Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Vintage Vornado fan project
by Admin Today at 3:51 am

» Cox PT-19 Wing
by getback Yesterday at 11:57 am

» So to the rescue of an EZ BEE .049 r/c
by MauricioB Yesterday at 10:12 am

» My Cox .049 Marine inboard engine
by F4D Phantom II Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:03 pm

» Sturdi Built?
by rdw777 Wed Jul 17, 2024 12:22 pm

» Jim Walker "Firebrand"...It Flys !!!!!
by 944_Jim Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:45 pm

» The "Funky Bee"
by rsv1cox Tue Jul 16, 2024 9:39 am

» 1975 BMW R90S
by Yabby Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:40 am

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Tue Jul 16, 2024 12:28 am

» Cox Super Cub 150 firewall/engine mount
by crankbndr Mon Jul 15, 2024 9:42 am

» TIEBREAKER-POLL **COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (July 2024)
by getback Mon Jul 15, 2024 4:14 am

» Jim Walker Bonanza etc.
by rsv1cox Sun Jul 14, 2024 7:43 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
July-2024
robot797's

"ULTIMITE COX 010: it has a clutch, E starter, throttle, exhaust, aluminum tank, aluminum venturi, gearbox with forward and reverse, and now its on a custom drawn and printed stand"



PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery


Cox .020 freeflight Empty
Live on Patrol


Cox .020 freeflight

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Ken Cook Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:24 pm

Yesterday I took a chapter from Kim's book. The weather was humid, but the winds were out of control for flying. I did a lot of engine running. I had some real hot Fox .15's that were over the top. My friend Dan pulled out this .020. I knew this wasn't the day for it but everyone else laid on the pressure and the decision was made. The prop was turned around and we decided a 3-4 second run would work. Just so everyone knows, IT NEVER WORKS. When you suggest freeflight, it means trees, rooftops, or the plane is never recovered. Our last dabble with freeflight resulted in a Dakota with a Atwood Wasp in it that seemed to run for eternity. The plane was lost and never found. Here's the .020 . Our flight after a few glides resulted in the plane going into a tree. We recovered the plane with no damage and had some good successful flights. I just knew where this was going. You start adding more and more fuel but we didn't go there. Ken
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2112
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2113
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2114
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2115
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2116
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5539
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57 pm

Looks like fun!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74
Moderator

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Posts : 11904
Join date : 2011-10-24
Age : 50
Location : Tuttle, OK

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Jason_WI Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:11 pm

eons ago I built a SIG cub rubber free flight plane. Was flying in the yard just fine then a wind pushed it to the far end of the yard. Not a problem but my dad had just lite the garbage in the burn barrel. You guessed it......when it flew over the burn barrel it went up like the Hindenburg with the clear dope on the silk covering. Total loss.......
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Posts : 3123
Join date : 2011-10-09
Age : 49
Location : Neenah, WI

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  duke.johnson Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:47 pm

Ken
That's truly a beautiful plane. I'm just getting into free flight. Do you have the name of that plan and/or the plans? Does it have a DT on the inboard side? I thought I saw a line going to the stab. Love the orange!
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1734
Join date : 2012-11-05
Age : 52
Location : Rochester, Washington

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Ken Cook Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:55 am

Duke I don't know the name of the plane. I can certainly find out. Yes, there's a DT on the plane. The snuffer tube is in the center of the fuse. The link from the hook to the stab is a piece of Dacron with a small rubber band . We need more room around here. Ever since 911 the field we would go to has been off limits to the public. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5539
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  duke.johnson Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:26 am

Thanks Ken. If you can't find the name of the plane, no biggy. I'm going to send a link to a friend who has been flying free flight for years, maybe he'll know the name also. I really love that plane, evne the paint scheme and colors!
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1734
Join date : 2012-11-05
Age : 52
Location : Rochester, Washington

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  ian1954 Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:40 am

I like the plain balsa finish with the touch of orange setting it off.

Free flight is the game I practised before control line but I did have a few problems. All self inflicted.

Forgetting to light the fuse, relying on any old string to act as a fuse without testing it, putting too much fuel in so that the plane went out of sight (luckily on that occasion it came back into sight a short while afterwards), inmpatiently launching in unsuitable weather, not test gliding one first........................ Still at 9 or 10 years old (Mind you I'm not much better now!)
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 2688
Join date : 2011-11-16
Age : 69
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Aero Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:19 am

That is a pretty plane, Ken!

I would like to know the name of the plane and if plans are available.

Might the plans be on OuterZone?   http://www.outerzone.co.uk/
Aero
Aero
Silver Member
Silver Member

Posts : 73
Join date : 2014-08-10
Location : Southern IN

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  andrew Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:36 am

ian1954 wrote:........................ Still at 9 or 10 years old (Mind you I'm not much better now!)

I keep hoping with age comes wisdom.  It hasn't worked out so far. Crying or Very sad
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1814
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 76
Location : Western Kentucky

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  flyjsh Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:29 am

ian1954 wrote:I like the plain balsa finish with the touch of orange setting it off.



Absolutely agree! Reminds me of the Guillows gliders and rubber powered, but much cleaner.

Now for the dumb question: How does a dethermalizer work? I vaguely remember the only 1/2 A ff that I built having one in the plans , but being a silly 10 yo kid, I never installed it. I watched that plane circle lazily for probably an hour and followed it for three miles until it got over a forest and I couldn't follow any farther. Crying or Very sad That engine was the first and only one flip starter I had as a kid.
flyjsh
flyjsh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 129
Join date : 2013-03-12
Location : Houston, Texas

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  andrew Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:29 pm

Dethermalizer --

The stab was usually built so that it would pop up at about a 45 degree angle when the trailing edge was released.  A rubber band on the leading edge provided the pull and a string between the trailing edge and fuselage would limit the travel.  The trailing edge was held down by a rubber band, one end hooked to the TE, the other hooked to the fuselage.  A fuse, dethermalizer fuse, was inserted between the rubber band strands and usually into a metal tube -- called a snuffer tube (the tube would extinguish the fuse before landing -- field fires were not fondly looked upon).  The fuse would burn at a fixed rate and normally had marks on it so you could estimate burn time.  Before the plane was launched, the fuse would be lit and when it burned up to the rubber band, it would burn the band in two and release the stab.  The model would go into a high angle stall and float to the ground.  I've attached a pic that will help you visualize it's operation.

For others, a timer could be used to pull a pin releasing the stab. texastimers.com will give you a peek at several timer types available. Multifunction timers are available to control engine runs and dethermalizers.

Cox .020 freeflight Bee4015
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1814
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 76
Location : Western Kentucky

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  sdjjadk Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:13 pm

That is a nice looking plane there Ken. Smile I agree with Ian as well. The simple wood finish with the orange accents really make it stand out! Thumbs Up
If you get a chance, please post some flight video.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Posts : 640
Join date : 2012-04-07
Location : Southern Maryland

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:26 am

Ken, that's really neat .020 powered profile cabin bipe your friend Dan has there. Speaking of .020 free flights and clear dope finished in orange dope trim, I built the Goldberg Ranger 30 some 20 years ago, powered by .020 Pee Wee, still have it. I scanned and donated the instructions to Outerzone along with my photos. Someone else had made patterns of all the parts, if someone wanted to build it.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3830

Cox .020 freeflight Goldbe11

Cox .020 freeflight Goldbe12
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Posts : 5426
Join date : 2013-07-13
Age : 70
Location : Clovis NM or NFL KC Chiefs

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  andrew Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:47 pm

Very nicely done Ranger. With the introduction of the smaller radio gear, the addition of RC to these size planes is certainly within reason.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Posts : 1814
Join date : 2011-08-11
Age : 76
Location : Western Kentucky

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Ken Cook Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:42 pm

I second that, she's a beauty. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5539
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  stevej Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:52 pm

Here's one of my orange free flights-
Cox .020 freeflight SAT
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 153
Join date : 2011-08-24
Age : 84
Location : Clovis, CA

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 pm

stevej wrote:Here's one of my orange free flights-
Cox .020 freeflight SAT

Steve, neat contest FF. Is that a Satellite 1000?

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3725
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Posts : 5426
Join date : 2013-07-13
Age : 70
Location : Clovis NM or NFL KC Chiefs

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  stevej Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:28 pm

@GG  Yes, K&B .40 on it.
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 153
Join date : 2011-08-24
Age : 84
Location : Clovis, CA

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Guillow's Super Cub 195 free flight

Post  706jim Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:21 pm

I built a Guillows Super Cub 195 some 40 odd years ago. 24" wingspan and covered in lightweight nylon powered by the adorable Pee Wee 0.020.

This thing flew like a bird! 0.4ml glow fuel inserted with a hypodermic needle giving about 40 seconds engine run.

Someday I'd like to put a radio in one of these but I will always remember how well this little ship flew way back when.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Posts : 461
Join date : 2013-11-29

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  MauricioB Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Ken Cook wrote:                Yesterday I took a chapter from Kim's book. The weather was humid, but the winds were out of control for flying. I did a lot of engine running. I had some real hot Fox .15's that were over the top. My friend Dan pulled out this .020. I knew this wasn't the day for it but everyone else laid on the pressure and the decision was made. The prop was turned around and we decided a 3-4 second run would work. Just so everyone knows, IT NEVER WORKS. When you suggest freeflight, it means trees, rooftops, or the plane is never recovered. Our last dabble with freeflight resulted in a Dakota with a Atwood Wasp in it that seemed to run for eternity. The plane was lost and never found.  Here's the .020  . Our flight after a few glides resulted in the plane going into a tree. We recovered the plane with no damage and had some good successful flights. I just knew where this was going. You start adding more and more fuel but we didn't go there. Ken
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2112
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2113
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2114
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2115
Cox .020 freeflight Dscn2116

Hello Ken, do you have a flight video of your model? I would really enjoy seeing it in action! Thank you!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3641
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 53
Location : ARG

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  MauricioB Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:09 pm

GallopingGhostler wrote:Ken, that's really neat .020 powered profile cabin bipe your friend Dan has there. Speaking of .020 free flights and clear dope finished in orange dope trim, I built the Goldberg Ranger 30 some 20 years ago, powered by .020 Pee Wee, still have it. I scanned and donated the instructions to Outerzone along with my photos. Someone else had made patterns of all the parts, if someone wanted to build it.

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3830

Cox .020 freeflight Goldbe11

Cox .020 freeflight Goldbe12

It would also be interesting to see a video of this model ... if it exists, please place the link to be able to appreciate it in flight! Thank you!
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3641
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 53
Location : ARG

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:23 am

We had video of the plane and others. Unfortunately, one of the guys flew this very large rotor copter which is essentially a 4' long propeller with a Babe Bee on the one end. It went very high. Seeing were in close proximity to no fly zones, those in charge at the field went into panic mode and had those responsible remove the videos and we can no longer fly free flight or even rubber powered models for that matter. I have a few free flight models currently ready to go and now I have to drive 3 hours to use them.

I found one of the videos of Dan and my son flying the Dakota which has a Atwood Wasp .049 for power. Not a long flight Dan was curious how it was trimmed due to it sitting for so long. https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/vb.513140418756097/954076107995857/?type=2&theater
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5539
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  MauricioB Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Ken Cook wrote:We had video of the plane and others. Unfortunately, one of the guys flew this very large rotor copter which is essentially a 4' long propeller with a Babe Bee on the one end. It went very high. Seeing were in close proximity to no fly zones, those in charge at the field went into panic mode and had those responsible remove the videos and we can no longer fly free flight or even rubber powered models for that matter. I have a few free flight models currently ready to go and now I have to drive 3 hours to use them.

          I found one of the videos of Dan and my son flying the Dakota which has a Atwood Wasp .049 for power. Not a long flight Dan was curious how it was trimmed due to it sitting for so long. https://www.facebook.com/PhillyFliersCL/videos/vb.513140418756097/954076107995857/?type=2&theater

Thank you for taking the time and placing the video, it's really great! ... As you comment, it's a short flight, but with all the characteristic of a very stable and linear flight, without anomalies in performance, I really like it.
So you must drive 3 hours !, that's too much to give yourself a taste ... you have no possibility of another territory to fly closer ?, it's a shame to have models there to use and rest because they do not have a place nearby to enjoy them !.
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3641
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 53
Location : ARG

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:46 pm

I do have a school down the street. Generally, there's a lot of activities but I could get a schedule for them but there's a lot of trees. I have about a dozen .020's that are sitting dormant. In addition, I have some Jetex stuff that's waiting for some video. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 5539
Join date : 2012-03-27
Location : pennsylvania

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  MauricioB Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Ken Cook wrote:        I do have a school down the street. Generally, there's a lot of activities but I could get a schedule for them but there's a lot of trees. I have about a dozen .020's that are sitting dormant. In addition, I have some Jetex stuff that's waiting for some video.
Ken

Ken, you have many valuable pieces that you should enjoy, I do not know which way, but you should use those pee wee, they are jewels for me, some football field, or something that looks like it, let me tell you that you must enjoy them! Wink
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Posts : 3641
Join date : 2016-02-16
Age : 53
Location : ARG

Back to top Go down

Cox .020 freeflight Empty Re: Cox .020 freeflight

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum