Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Piston tool - how loose without a micrometer? - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Piston tool - how loose without a micrometer? - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» How's the weather?
by rsv1cox Today at 10:32 am

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 9:54 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by sosam117 Today at 8:24 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Piston tool - how loose without a micrometer? - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Piston tool - how loose without a micrometer?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Piston tool - how loose without a micrometer? - Page 2 Empty Re: Piston tool - how loose without a micrometer?

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:03 pm

Mark has the right idea.

I do pitty pitty tap tap once I am close rotating the tool around the ball socket for a even all around flush fit if too tight no worries it loosen up quick to a snug fit. If done right you can get many flights without the need to adjust. Once the gap has been induced through use the socket tends to open up fairly fast based on prop size and load.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Piston tool - how loose without a micrometer? - Page 2 Empty Re: Piston tool - how loose without a micrometer?

Post  balogh Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:50 am

My experience is that if you readjust the balljoint gap once or twice after the few initial hours of run i.e. aftre the natural the heat treatment of the piston, it will not loosen up anymore, the metal hardens.

A really tiny gap is desirable, though, to allow the build-up of the castor varnish in the cup and on the ball end of the rod that will efficiently keep metallic surfaces from touching and abrasing each other.

I killed one or two pistons already with zero gap but still free ball movement. The crown of the piston is punctured by the ball if no varnish is allowed to build.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:09 pm

I have reset dozens of pistons, have yet to screw one up. Not sure what is happening out there, perhaps some poor reset tools were sold at one time.

I don't tap, I whack, firm and straight down. I use a small hammer, maybe 1-2oz. I keep the anvil and reset rod super tight against the piston and ball socket I also work on a concrete floor.  1-2 firm hits and the slop is gone. If I over do it then I do what Mark suggested and add a drop of oil and work the rod. Then I run it and after the run it's usually perfect.

That's my method and it hasn't failed me yet. Yet... Shocked
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:33 pm

I also have done quite a few and have had no problems with them blowing the top of the piston out. I use like Ron said 1-2 oz. small hammer I put mine on an flat anvil at the vice and hold it down firm so as not to bounce, and rotate "Sharpe but light blows ,, Are you cleaning the socket out before you start , I do with carb. cleaner and dry with compressed air ? Eric Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:29 pm

I do small taps on concrete surface with the resetting tool pressed down hard and constantly turning between taps, and rather fiddle around 10-15 minutes with the resetting than doing a "quick and dirty" job. Sudden blows may make the piston top a mushroom that practically renders the piston a scrap. Seen that, done that, mourned that.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:42 pm

Balogh,

I wasn't alluding to a two handed over the head swing, just sharp, firm and straight down hit.

If the piston is mushrooming then either the holding fixture is not flat or the piston is being lifted when tapping. That's the only way I can see it mushrooming.

I will say this, there are many ways to do something and have the same outcome. If your way works for you then keep doing it. I was only posting what works for me.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:25 am

No problem Ron, I also did not think you were steamhammering on the pistons. My positive outcomes always followed a slow, cautious tapping process, after I had killed 1 or 2 pistons by mushrooming.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:13 am

Cribbs74 wrote:I have reset dozens of pistons, have yet to screw one up. Not sure what is happening out there, perhaps some poor reset tools were sold at one time.

I don't tap, I whack, firm and straight down. I use a small hammer, maybe 1-2oz. I keep the anvil and reset rod super tight against the piston and ball socket I also work on a concrete floor.  1-2 firm hits and the slop is gone. If I over do it then I do what Mark suggested and add a drop of oil and work the rod. Then I run it and after the run it's usually perfect.

That's my method and it hasn't failed me yet. Yet... Shocked

Ron, the concrete floor you mentioned is very important. With a solid underground, every tap with a hammer has its results. I tried a table and benches inside our house. It only makes a noise and everything bounces up and down without any change in the ball joint. I now use our granite front door step as a base. That works!!
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum