Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Cox_ba12

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Empty
Live on Patrol

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread

Post  modelbuilder49 Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:51 pm

Huh... Okay, okay! I admit, I posted the results of my PT-19 flights in the wrong thread but I know I can't be the only one! I really expected to see a whole bunch of flights posted Shocked Shocked Was I the only one who flew??

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:37 am

modelbuilder49 wrote:Huh...   Okay, okay!  I admit, I posted the results of my PT-19 flights in the wrong thread but I know I can't be the only one!  I really expected to see a whole bunch of flights posted Shocked Shocked   Was I the only one who flew??

Jim Carter
Titusville, FL

Maybe so. Kim will chime in shortly with a flight or two I'm sure, and I flew mine inside brain alternative reality. Smile Maybe later when West Virginia dries out!!!

We did get the F-15 in the air (sorta) - see above, and tried to get the Corsair started but to no joy. Ran on prime only. Suspect the reed is castor stuck.

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Cox_su11

Still waiting for your balsa build PT-19 thread.................
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:50 am

Well, at least you tried! That certainly accounts for something, eh! Very Happy
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:00 am

Okay guys! I think I figured out this thread "thingy" (I went to find a 6 year old but they were all busy helping others ahead of me Shocked Laughing Laughing )!

"Howdy fellow PT-19ers  Very Happy !  Well, "I dood'it"  Smile !  I was able to get the first flight with my PT-19 this morning and videoed it using my GoPro mounted on my forehead  Very Happy .  Then I let my buddy fly it for the second flight so I could video it using my iPhone.  I decided to make sure I didn't have any problems and opted to mount my trusty Black Widow .049 rather than the Baby Bee  Huh... .  I believe it was a wise swap because the performance was truly "top shelf" stuff Cool .  I had a ball Laughing !!  Let me know what y'all think, eh Smile !

https://youtu.be/DwAYZPsdY0w"
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:27 am

If you look back on page 7 bottom Kim has been sick and cranky , I have to do some prep on the field and I will post something ?! Airplane
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:06 am

Here are some pics of ready to fly PT The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Ptdc0030
The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Ptdc0029
The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Ptdc0028
The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Ptdc0031
Luckily I had a mount for the horseshoe back plate so I could put my racer on it , I did find a 5x3 prop for it to slow things down . It was a learning experience since I have not had one these in my hand for a looooooog time . Thanks Joe !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:38 pm

Rain, fog & wind all weekend here. Maybe we'll get a nice day in October.

Here's a shot from last year.

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 10-08-10
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:01 pm

Well boys, it wasn't pretty, but I got in some flights with two of my PT's.  With another beautiful, but hot evening, I was able to log several flights, with a bunch of photos and some videos I'll try to edit down and post here later.

My QZ-19 is pretty much my "Go-To" PT, and while I was pushing to get some flying done, this is the one that always takes me back to my Home Town ball field.

No loops or much friskyness on this round, so maybe another time when I'm feeling better.
---------------------------------------------------------------
My Uncle Wayne's tool box, Troy's gift of a replica Cox Battery, flying handle with dacron line, and perfect fuel pump stuck in a can of Cox Super Power Racing Fuel...those were some days...

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 14_12

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 5_710

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 111_110

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 15_16

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 16_13

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 17_12

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 10_15

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 11_16

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 12_15

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 13_17

------------------------------------------------------------
The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 23_11

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 22_12

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 4_27

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 5_20

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 6_19

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 7_22

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 8_19

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 3_29
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:05 pm

TLAnderson wrote:Rain, fog & wind all weekend here. Maybe we'll get a nice day in October.

Here's a shot from last year.

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 10-08-10

Hey TL!!! Keep the faith! There'll be some good flying-weather coming your way soon enough. Keep your model "flight-ready".. as well as its support-equipment. You could have an "official-flight" registered sooner than you think!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Kim wrote:Well boys, it wasn't pretty, but I got in some flights with two of my PT's.  With another beautiful, but hot evening, I was able to log several flights, with a bunch of photos and some videos I'll try to edit down and post here later.

My QZ-19 is pretty much my "Go-To" PT, and while I was pushing to get some flying done, this is the one that always takes me back to my Home Town ball field.

No loops or much friskyness on this round, so maybe another time when I'm feeling better.
---------------------------------------------------------------
My Uncle Wayne's tool box, Troy's gift of a replica Cox Battery, flying handle with dacron line, and perfect fuel pump stuck in a can of Cox Super Power Racing Fuel...those were some days...

"You" sir... I aspire to with my model-airplane activities..
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:59 pm

Cool photos, Kim. Is that tail wheel original equipment, or did you add it. I need something like that for mine. I'd be interested in seeing how it's attached.

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 4_27
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:36 pm

roddie wrote:

Hey TL!!! Keep the faith! There'll be some good flying-weather coming your way soon enough. Keep your model "flight-ready".. as well as its support-equipment. You could have an "official-flight" registered sooner than you think!

Hope that good flying weather arrives soon. We're about a month away from first snow here. Cold
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:32 am

Leave it to Kim. In-flight photos, three nicely presented PT's and a mirror optics Tee shirt. Fan-tastic.

It's amazing, the picture quality of that little key chain camera. And, credit to the PT doing circles with the added weight and drag.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:40 am

That's one ugly lookin' wing-tip weight. Mad Effective though. It proves how robust the PT-19 is, to be able to perform with that much extra drag.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:09 am

Oldenginerod wrote:That's one ugly lookin' wing-tip weight.  Mad    Effective though.  It proves how robust the PT-19 is, to be able to perform with that much extra drag.

Yeah man! Luckily, my camera mounts are seldom seen in the videos they record. This one was pretty bad even by my standards, and caused a wild ride as it's drag was flexing the right wingtip. The resulting video might make an old sailor sea-sick.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:08 am

TLAnderson wrote:Cool photos, Kim. Is that tail wheel original equipment, or did you add it. I need something like that for mine. I'd be interested in seeing how it's attached.

We've been adding tailwheels or skids to PT's since Uncle Wayne's back in the day.  Especially with the older ones, that had a stake-like tailskid, on the very first landing in turf, the stake would dig in and tear out the rear of the fuse.  My QZ is slated to get one of these when I get to it.  

All of mine involve an "L" shaped wire that is stitched with carpet thread to the left fuselage side (gives it a right-turn tendency to keep the lines tight on takeoff), and soaked with thin CA.

It also moves the CG a tolerable bit backwards which can turn the "Un-Loopable" PT into a Looper!

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 3_30

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 1_37

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 2_40

Last edited by Kim on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  modelbuilder49 Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Well .... that's just downright kool! Smile
modelbuilder49
modelbuilder49
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:59 am

Way to Go Kim !! Good Fun Brother ! This Site Rocks!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Kim wrote:

We've been adding tailwheels or skids to PT's since Uncle Wayne's back in the day.  Especially with the older ones, that had a stake-like tailskid, on the very first landing in turf, the stake would dig in and tear out the rear of the fuse.  My QZ is slated to get one of these when I get to it.  

All of mine involve an "L" shaped wire that is stitched with carpet thread to the left fuselage side (gives it a right-turn tendency to keep the lines tight on takeoff), and soaked with thin CA.

It also moves the CG a tolerable bit backwards which can turn the "Un-Loopable" PT into a Looper!

That's cool. Thanks for showing the attachment details. Thumbs Up Is it .062" wire?
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:23 pm

TLAnderson wrote:

That's cool. Thanks for showing the attachment details. Thumbs Up Is it .062" wire?

Maybe...I know it fit the hole in the hub...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Will Roddie ever fly..?..?..? Huh... Let's just say; "I want to".. and continue to get models flight-ready. While looking at my last-group of four "flight-ready" models hanging in the basement; I noticed that the rubber-bands stretched-over their wedge-tanks had rotted.. and all the tanks were dangling by the fuel-tubing connecting them to their engines What? (cheap rubber-bands I say..)

I previously mentioned a "fuel-delivery" issue with my Cox PT19.. and it's still an issue.... so (last night..) I decided to concentrate more, on putting together an engine for the model.. and work on its fuel-deliveery later.. (I can at least tell stories..  Rolling Eyes )

I had a bare later-version .049 reed-valve crankcase and a bare crankshaft. I wanted to run the 6"d x 2"p left-hand propeller that came stock on my 1980's version.. so I searched my shop for a "left-hand" starter-spring. I opted for the later "cam-style" which integrates with a "hex" drive-plate.. so that's what I pressed-onto the nose of the crankshaft.

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 20180914

The 3/32" hex-drive bit fits the 5-40 cap-screws that I bought for my Cox .049 engines. I sourced 1" length black-oxide cap-screws from the Fastenal company, which can be cut-shorter. This allows optimal prop-screw length; which having the maximum (before bottoming..) can save the nose of your engine's crankcase from breaking.. should your model kiss the pavement hard..

A thin-hub Zinger 6" x 3" wood-prop was "just the right thickness" along with a Tee-Dee style aluminum spinner.. to press the drive-plate onto the crank.. and observe a slight "gap" between the nose of the crankcase. I used a cordless VSR drill, set on SLOW-SPEED with the 3/32" hex-driver in its chuck.. while grasping one of the propeller-blades.

If you're serious about running your Cox .049/.051 engines... I'd recommend sourcing 5-40 size (UNC) screws for mounting the propellers. The reed-valve (Bee) rear-end crankcase-screws are size 2-56 (UNC).

Getting the rest of the engine together; I had a "Sure-Start" carb/back-plate and a dual-bypass cylinder free to use. I checked my stock of pistons.. and found one with a nice ball/socket fit. Then I picked a standard/used (#325) glow-head from my stash.. and proceeded to check it with my power-panel's glow-driver.. (look.. it's nice and bright!)

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 20180915

I have a few original Cox 6"d. x 2"p. left-hand propellers. They'll provide more positive line-tension.. and won't over-load a Cox reed-valve .049 engine.. like a 6" x 3" propeller might.

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 20180916
The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 20180917

A simple "balloon" tank would make the most sense to try.. at this point. Getting fuel to the engine is all that's needed now.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:23 pm

TLAnderson wrote:
roddie wrote:

Hope that good flying weather arrives soon. We're about a month away from first snow here. Cold

Hey "TL".. Did you try Kim Stricker's slick Cool tailwheel-mount? (just curious..)

Were you serious about the "first snow" arriving in Wisconsin-state; mid-month October? Sheeeezz.. I'll admit.. it was "chilly" here in Northern Rhode Island last night, but nowhere near "frost temps" just yet. My wife and I are still harvesting tomato's and bell-peppers from our container-plants on the back-deck. There are a significant amount of fruits remaining to ripen.

Hope you can get your airplane in the air soon.. but don't worry if you're a little late. Nobody "here" will mind. Actually.. there's some great tips on cold-weather flying.

Read this thread when you get a chance... Smile
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TLAnderson Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:45 pm

roddie wrote:

Hey "TL".. Did you try Kim Stricker's slick  Cool  tailwheel-mount? (just curious..)

Were you serious about the "first snow" arriving in Wisconsin-state; mid-month October?

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Skyray10

Sheeeezz.. I'll admit.. it was "chilly" here in Northern Rhode Island last night, but nowhere near "frost temps" just yet.

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Weathe11

My wife and I are still harvesting tomato's and bell-peppers from our container-plants on the back-deck. There are a significant amount of fruits remaining to ripen.

Hope you can get your airplane in the air soon.. but don't worry if you're a little late. Nobody "here" will mind. Actually.. there's some great tips on cold-weather flying.

Read  this thread when you get a chance... Smile

It usually snows in October, but then warms up again. Winter doesn't really get serious until mid\late November. Then it's here till May.

Back in 1991 we got 30 inches of snow starting on October 31, and it snowed for 3 days.

Didn't do anything with the tail wheel yet. It's on the to do list though.
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 pm

Geez.......... Shocked Northern Wisconsin can get pretty cold in September I guess..

In case you missed it; there was a hidden link for cold weather flying in my previous post. I often wonder whether I should do that.. but being able to condense via the "description option" is so much less clutter, as opposed to pasting the entire link into the post.. but the downside is; sometimes it can be overlooked.

Below is the non-condensed link. There's some really interesting tips.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5807-cold-weather-flying?highlight=cold+weather

And this other link below is information on building snow-ski's for your model.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5765-skis-for-winter-flying?highlight=skis

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Barbie12
The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Dsc02410
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Empty Let me amend that "first snow in October" statement

Post  TLAnderson Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:38 pm

roddie wrote:

Were you serious about the "first snow" arriving in Wisconsin-state; mid-month October?

This is the forecast for tonight.

The Official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day!" Thread - Page 8 Weathe12
TLAnderson
TLAnderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next