Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Testors/McCoy .049 smoked...
by Ken Cook Today at 4:23 am

» For Sale: Cox Tee Dee engines. 020, 049, 051 . Rat Race 049 reed valve - Norvell 061
by Sunbird Today at 2:16 am

» Couldn't help myself.
by Oldenginerod Today at 12:35 am

» Cox 1911 Pusher questions
by Madguns Today at 12:29 am

» Cox Curtiss 1911 pusher on eBay
by Bill steklenski Yesterday at 10:22 pm

» Hasbro "the Great Gassers"
by Bill steklenski Yesterday at 10:19 pm

» 1961 cox mercedes benz racer
by Bill steklenski Yesterday at 9:55 pm

» Hasbro gassers
by Bill steklenski Yesterday at 9:40 pm

» Cox Ski Doo
by Bill steklenski Yesterday at 9:34 pm

» Modified SIG Twister
by Cribbs74 Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
September-2017
Kim's

"Cox Conquest gets a Run-Up."

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Tach Race 2017 Updates
Ready for Tach Race 2017?
Profile Scale Reed Speed
Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

My Criminal Activity !!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My Criminal Activity !!!

Post  Kim on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:47 am

A while back, I was searching for articles and general info on one of my heroes..."The Old Buzzard"...Mr. Dave Thornburg, and came across this site, with a post REALLY clobbering the dude!!!!

Well, knowing full-well better than to enter a debate with one of these angry virgins, I STILL thought a little levity might soften things up a bit, writing a clichéd pseudo book report supporting Dave.  I mean, come on!  A tiny little paper-back book, full of fun stuff and tips that actually helped me in occasionally stumbling across a useful thermal...this just couldn't be as serious as I was reading it to be!

MAN...WAS I WRONG !!!  Turns out, I'm a crook!!!

http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pony-X-Press/internet/Pony-X-Press-Dave-Thornburg-Old-Buzzards-Soaring-Book-Author-Dave-Thornburg-Review-Missi-586596

So, I figured it my public duty to warn everyone ahead of time to hide your wives and children, lock your doors, and call in your puppies upon my approach!

"Nooobody knows tha trubble ah seen...."

Criminal-Minded Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Criminal Activity !!!

Post  duke.johnson on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:56 am

Jeez Kim! You must have read the book "How to win friends and influence people" also. lol!
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:17 am

I know!!! Guess I'm not nearly the 'people person' I thought I was !!!!
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson on Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:47 pm

You do just fine with us CEF "people"!
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Kim.. this is a perfect example of people being totally and undeniably "full of themselves".. I'd met some modelers with this type of attitude 20+ years ago, when I was first getting into the hobby. It really turned me off. Thankfully.. I also had the pleasure of meeting some very intelligent and skilled modelers. Most of them were NATS CLPA champions.. and they were "gentlemen" who would never think of publicly attacking another fellow modeler's publication. People who act this way, have a serious inferiority complex. So you didn't care for the book... well.. maybe you should try writing your own then.. and while you're at it; explain the mysteries of physics to all of us... (and then go make me a sandwich) Laughing
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:56 pm

Holy Moly talk about poking a stick into a hornets nest.
That's exactly why I never have anything to do with forums like that. It remind me of years ago when I used to work late in my shed with the radio on talkshow and about midnight on the drunks would start ringing up. That was my cue to turn the light off and go to bed
Davenz13
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Oh yeah...you post a note in a thread like that, you can figure on not getting flowers thrown at you !  But, his goofyness DID kind of bug me, so I simply posted my opinion of Dave's book...which IS a fun read.

You never know WHO you're talking to on the internet, and the poor guy's passionate hysterics over such a benign subject made me figure that he was either a kid, or an old dude who'd logged very little chick time in his life.

Either way, I wasn't gonna keep my part going, AND it DID make me pull out Dave's book and video and enjoy their cheesy greatness again...so it was a winning deal for me.
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Kim wrote:

You never know WHO you're talking to on the internet, and the poor guy's passionate hysterics over such a benign subject made me figure that he was either a kid, or an old dude who'd logged very little chick time in his life.

That is so right! I don't get how people can be so upset over something so trivial.
Someone needs to tell that guy that no book can teach experience and that finding a thermal is simple. Just go fly and figure it out! Besides, that what makes flying fun.  
RC Plane  

Shawn
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Waffleman on Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm surprised that they can't just agree that reading the book leaves you with more information about soaring than you had when you started it.
Waffleman
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Well, that was also sorta the bite. Mr. Thornburg's book is (for me) full of "Well Yeah!" moments where he'll give some tip about soaring which makes so much practical sense, it's somewhat embarrassing that I wasn't already aware of it.

I had perfectly fit his description of how some pilots just fly along, bumping into and using thermals almost by accident, rather than developing the skills and knowledge to track the suckers down. Guess a lot of this WOULD be boring to a contest-level flyer, but is written as a primer that was an eye-opener for me, and I've always enjoyed Dave's humorous articles.
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top