Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fox in the McCoy Hen House Cox_ba12

Fox in the McCoy Hen House Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fox in the McCoy Hen House Empty
Live on Patrol

Fox in the McCoy Hen House

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shocked Fox in the McCoy Hen House

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:45 pm

Ron Cribbs gave me a Fox .35 Stunt 3-Bolt Back engine, it came in today, woohoo! This is definitely old iron but has been updated with Allen socket head screws, now prop thrust washer and nut with very good compression. Thanks Ron! I'll bench run it in a few days to get familiar with it.

Fox in the McCoy Hen House Fox35Engine3-BoltBack
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: Fox in the McCoy Hen House

Post  getback Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:12 am

Cool deal !! can't wait to hear it run ( bee careful out there) Shocked Eric Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:51 am

Here's the airplane that the Fox would make a good candidate for:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t6972-1960-berkeley-interceptor-35-stunt-cl

They are about the same vintage and most likely this would be one of the engines a modeler back then would put in it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:09 pm

Very nice.

I just received a very similar if not identical Fox .35 that was included in a bunch of engines. However it's missing the thrust washer and needle valve. GG and Ron, any idea where I might locate them? I sure would like to se it run again.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:46 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Very nice. I just received a very similar if not identical Fox .35 that was included in a bunch of engines.  However it's missing the thrust washer and needle valve.  GG and Ron, any idea where I might locate them?  I sure would like to se it run again.
Are you a member of Brotherhood of the Ring (Ringmaster CL forum), Stunt Hangar CL, or Stuka Stunt Forums? If not, join. There, you can make your needs known and a fellow CL enthusiast could help point the way or help you.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:44 pm

If that doesn't work there is a very good chance you can obtain those parts direct from the Fox factory.

Worst case. Ebay, lot's of Fox engines and parts there. If I had spares I would send them for free. I imagine others would do the same, pretty common engine and lot's of spares kicking around.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 pm

Is this your first Fox, George? Ron gave me my first and only one. I had run an OS 35 lots of times, so I treated cranking the Fox like I did with them. The Fox immediately raised my level of respect when I went to flip the prop and it reached out and took the chicken stick right outta my hand! After the third time it really had my attention. I like to crank it by back slapping it. But I use an APC, you can't do that with a wood prop.
I love the thing, it took no time to warm up to it. I never had all the troubles everyone else complains about, just your standard tank trim, and I was off and flying. I'm going to get another one some day.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:15 pm

RknRusty wrote:Is this your first Fox, George? Ron gave me my first and only one. I had run an OS 35 lots of times, so I treated cranking the Fox like I did with them. The Fox immediately raised my level of respect when I went to flip the prop and it reached out and took the chicken stick right outta my hand! After the third time it really had my attention. I like to crank it by back slapping it. But I use an APC, you can't do that with a wood prop.
I love the thing, it took no time to warm up to it. I never had all the troubles everyone else complains about, just your standard tank trim, and I was off and flying. I'm going to get another one some day.
Rusty

That's funny, I just use a glove these days. I was flipping bare handed, but thought maybe that one day it may turn out that bad. So I settled on the glove. At least that way I get to keep the finger.

I tried a chicken stick once and I found it very awkward to use. I guess I like a little more of a personal relationship with the engine.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:39 pm

I find the leather gloved hand much easier to do and saves the hand from prop nicks. I now have 3 Fox engines, 25R/C cross scavenge, 15-X CL, and now 35 Stunt. Just need to harness them for work. Overall I've heard nary a complaint from others and they seem to be fine sport engines.

Overall I've enjoyed running the Cox, OS, Thunder Tiger, Enya and Testors engines. Each has their place.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:52 am

Up to 2.5cc I use fingers but I have had many a cut. Then again - I have probably run more engines, predominantly diesels, than most. Diesels are often referred to as "finger biters".

Small propellers (with small engines) are difficult to swipe with a glove (my gloves, I have a stack of them, are my discarded motor bike gloves). I have bust needle valves through wearing a glove.

Never used a "chicken stick" - like to have a more direct feel for compression. It would be different though if a was running the same engines regularly like most of the members and the engine was prepped for starting.

Larger engines, 3.5 cc plus - I always use a glove. These are quite capable of chopping to the bone and removing finger tips (I know!).

I have seen a 10cc engine remove a child's finger (this was 50 years ago) - not through starting but he poked his finger into a spinning propeller.

If I have a spinner fitted - I usually use an electric starter.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:41 am

ian1954 wrote:Up to 2.5cc I use fingers but I have had many  a cut. Then again - I have probably run more engines, predominantly diesels, than most. Diesels are often referred to as "finger biters". Small propellers (with small engines) are difficult to swipe with a glove (my gloves, I have a stack of them, are my discarded motor bike gloves). I have bust needle valves through wearing a glove.
What motorbike have you, or have you had? I currently have a 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200B Voyager XII tourer and 1971 Honda CB100 in my stable, so I have a stack of gloves, too. Instead though I use general purpose leather gloves, which fit loosely and are very easy to shed if I need to adjust the needle. Glove keeps the hand skin intact from prop bite. The smaller half-A's such as the Tee Dee .020 can surely bite. I once had about 8 little slices about 7mm long spaced 3 mm apart on my index finger. I'd understand about the diesels though, because one has to both prop and adjust at the same time.

Never used a "chicken stick" - like to have a more direct feel for compression. It would be different though if a was running the same engines regularly like most of the members and the engine was prepped for starting.
They are very simple devices. One can make one by drilling and installing a dowel in a handle, cover the dowel with a piece of tight fitting hose or tubing.

Larger engines, 3.5 cc plus - I always use a glove. These are quite capable of chopping to the bone and removing finger tips (I know!). I have seen a 10cc engine remove a child's finger  (this was 50 years ago) - not through starting but he poked his finger into a spinning propeller. If I have a spinner fitted - I usually use an electric starter.
Ouch! Yes, and even YouTube has a video of a surgeon reassembling an older modeler's hand, torn apart by a prop. Lost a few fingers and tips, but saved the hand; (not for the squeemish to watch).

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:01 am

Wow, gross. Couldn't watch the video, picture was enough for me... Affraid or WOW!

I remember the time I was reaching across a well running .049 to adjust the needle valve when the prop took several swipes across my inner wrist. A little deeper and I would not be writing this now. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:06 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:Very nice. I just received a very similar if not identical Fox .35 that was included in a bunch of engines.  However it's missing the thrust washer and needle valve.  GG and Ron, any idea where I might locate them?  I sure would like to se it run again.
Are you a member of Brotherhood of the Ring (Ringmaster CL forum), Stunt Hangar CL, or Stuka Stunt Forums? If not, join. There, you can make your needs known and a fellow CL enthusiast could help point the way or help you.

More forums? I can't keep up with this one. Smile You people just post too much interesting stuff. Hand Shake

Thanks for the parts info. I will find them eventually. Got a .049 OK Cub with the same issues.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:16 am

rsv1cox wrote:Very nice.

I just received a very similar if not identical Fox .35 that was included in a bunch of engines.  However it's missing the thrust washer and needle valve.  GG and Ron, any idea where I might locate them?  I sure would like to se it run again.
My local shop has a nice box of fox parts. I can stop in Monday and see if he has what you're looking for.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:21 am

Jim,

I need a .15BB CL venturi stack and 2 .15BB needle valves with springs. Since you are already looking.... Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:36 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
What motorbike have you, or have you had? I currently have a 2001 Kawasaki ZG1200B Voyager XII tourer and 1971 Honda CB100 in my stable, so I have a stack of gloves, too. Instead though I use general purpose leather gloves, which fit loosely and are very easy to shed if I need to adjust the needle. Glove keeps the hand skin intact from prop bite. The smaller half-A's such as the Tee Dee .020 can surely bite. I once had about 8 little slices about 7mm long spaced 3 mm apart on my index finger. I'd understand about the diesels though, because one has to both prop and adjust at the same time.

I have what is known as an "Old Man's bike" - a BMW R1200GS with all options. It is known as an "Old Man's bike" because, usually, only "Old Men" with a clean riding history can afford them and the insurance. It is big and heavy, lots of torque (no constant gear changing) and ideal for heavy London traffic. Car drivers see the crash bars and get out of the way.

It has fully adjustable push button automatic suspension, anti lock brakes, anti skid control, heated grips, computerized warning system - tyre pressure sensors, alerts when temp falls below 3 deg C, low fuel alert with miles left countdown.

Fox in the McCoy Hen House Beemer11

It is high off the ground and you sit upright giving good view over cars and surrounding traffic. No hunch back, wrist and neck ache sports bike riding through traffic.

You are also more likely to look like a monkey on a horse rather than a gorilla on a donkey!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:44 pm

Ian, what you call an old man's bike is my style of bike (particularly since I hit the 60 year mark last March). Here's my old man's bike. drunken

Fox in the McCoy Hen House 2013-010

Fox in the McCoy Hen House 2013-011
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:31 pm

That's an in between. The real old man bike is a trike.

I see a lot of grey beards on trikes with trailers. At that stage it makes more sense to buy a car and roll down the window. lol!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:29 pm

I met an 87 YO man, Ron Von who still rides a 2 wheeler Gold Wing. I guess you are as young as you feel. lol!
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:53 pm

This would be my "old man bike"
Fox in the McCoy Hen House AxYEPPq
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Davenz13 Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:31 pm

98 S1 Lightning. I bought this second hand with 828 miles showing on the clock. I guess the first owner didn't like it or it scared the bejeezes out of him.
Since this photo was taken I've fitted new White Lightning heads and pistons. I just love it. Smoking

Fox in the McCoy Hen House 98_s1_10
Davenz13
Davenz13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:05 pm

Something that is truly old man, here's my 1971 Honda CB100 now with SL125 motor restored from my college days (in 1979 bought in Honolulu, Hawaii):

Fox in the McCoy Hen House George10

I rode it wide open at 55 mph to work 12 miles away. Co-workers asked me how the ride was. I tell them it was like the scooter ride on Dumb and Dumber. Wink

GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:09 pm

Lol.

I had the opportunity to ride a 1975 Husqvarna WR 250 this evening. Went to pick up some CL parts and was handed the bike to ride.

I have always wanted to ride one. They are rugged beasts, no frills or comfort. A man's MX!

Even with only 250cc it has gobs of torque. Can't imagine what the 400 pulls like. Now I want one. Rolling Eyes

If I can ever get my photo manager to load the picture I will post it.

Ron

Fox in the McCoy Hen House Ix2dZKz

Last edited by Cribbs74 on Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:53 pm

I used to ride a single cylinder 650, the Suzuki Savage. Talk about gobs of torque, it certainly had it.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:16 am

I am sure it had.

2 strokes and 4 strokes are different animals. Power bands are much different. I have ridden both and for shear power out of the gate I would choose a 2 stroke any day. My first real bike was a 2 stroke Yamaha RD 350, my second was a Honda CB 550K. Even though the 550 was substantially bigger the smaller RD scared me.

I posted the picture, take a look at the size of the sprocket. MX bikes are geared low. They pull like a train, but top out quickly. I imagine the Husky would only go 50-55mph.

I rode a Honda CR 500 MX when I was 17, somewhere out there is a picture of me throwing up huge mud rooster tails with my little 150lb body laying over the tank with my legs hanging off the back fender so I could keep the front wheel down.

Apples to Oranges. Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next