Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

Baby Ringmaster returns home, with friends Babe_b10

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
June-2019
robot797's

"cox 049 gasoline"

More info on this engine!

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2019
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
Gallery

Baby Ringmaster returns home, with friends Empty
World of Aviation

Baby Ringmaster returns home, with friends

Go down

Shocked Baby Ringmaster returns home, with friends

Post  rsv1cox on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:11 am

I had posted in another thread how I had sent the first model plane that my son and I built and flew together to him many years ago.  

Well with my renewed interest in modeling he sent it back along with a bunch of other stuff.  

Baby Ringmaster returns home, with friends Pbucket

He took the engine off (a Black Widow) before he boxed it and everything arrived intack after a 3K mile journey compliments of the USPS.  Amazing considering my recent misadventures with them.

The Baby Ring needs a little TLC and I think I will replace the BW with just a common Babe Bee, something off my engine board that has been equally abused.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: Baby Ringmaster returns home, with friends

Post  Kim on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:22 am

OH YEAH !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:26 pm

Get one of Bernie's "baby stunt" tanks and back plate. Bore the center out to 5/64 (2mm). Load it up, and have fun. Probably 10 laps in it and capable of inverted and outsides. Moving the CG back will probably liven it up a little too.

Or put the BW back on it.

Baby Bees and inverted do not get along.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:43 pm

Phil,

You gotta get some video of you doing inverted and outside maneuvers. I was never able to accomplish those with Bee type engines. Stunt tank or not mine always coughed and sputtered. No matter which engine I chose

I did everything I was told to do concerning the pickup and sealing air leaks. Always the same result.

I just want to see someone doing it succesfully.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:31 pm

If I want to do stunts I would have to buy a whole new Baby Ring kit.  Under that yellow monocoat is equal parts balsa and epoxy. Smile  This plane is about 40 years old and has been rebuilt many times.  Right now the rudder is flopping around and the vertical stablizer is kind of canted off to one side.  The tail section will have to be rebuilt before I even attempt to fly it.

I did find a couple of BB's on the engine board that will work.   ebay buys, other peoples cast-offs that had laid in the bottom of their flight boxes too long.  

One I'm sure is an engine that I had made up, sandblasted the tank and installed new gaskets.  Both were coaxed into life and run rather well considering.  The three bladed prop engine loved to start backwards and clip me on the back of the finger.  I had forgotten how bad that hurt. Crying or Very sad

I don't know why I insist on using well worn engines, guess they just fit the plane.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:47 pm

Trying to find a quick and simple way of remotely releasing the Baby Ringmaster, I came up with this.

It takes quite a pull on the airplane to get it out of the clothespin, quite a bit more than the B Bee engine generates so it should do well, but I will static check it first. Maybe launch it tomorrow on 20' lines......?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:06 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
It takes quite a pull on the airplane to get it out of the clothespin, quite a bit more than the B Bee engine generates so it should do well, but I will static check it first.  Maybe launch it tomorrow on 20' lines......?

Even with an anemic Babe Bee, I wouldn't do 20' lines. If it were me, I'd try 30' lines first. 25'-28' at the least. I understand that it's heavy from all the repairs, but if the engine's enough to keep it in the air, it should be enough to make you dizzy on only 20' lines. Just my thoughts.

The Polycythemic Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:14 pm

Yes, that was the question.

Right now I have 35' of line on my handle but only around 50' of cleared space to fly it in the backyard. Unless I go out into the field, then I won't have over run tarmac and will have to bring along a lot of cardboard.

If it flys well, I will put that BW back on or at least something with a "stunt" tank. This is more for fun than anything else.

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:09 pm

Knock apart an old door hinge and use a steel skewer as the stooge. I would not trust the cloths pin.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:31 pm

rsv1cox wrote:If I want to do stunts I would have to buy a whole new Baby Ring kit.  Under that yellow monocoat is equal parts balsa and epoxy. Smile  This plane is about 40 years old and has been rebuilt many times.  Right now the rudder is flopping around and the vertical stablizer is kind of canted off to one side.  The tail section will have to be rebuilt before I even attempt to fly it.

I did find a couple of BB's on the engine board that will work.   ebay buys, other peoples cast-offs that had laid in the bottom of their flight boxes too long.  

One I'm sure is an engine that I had made up, sandblasted the tank and installed new gaskets.  Both were coaxed into life and run rather well considering.  The three bladed prop engine loved to start backwards and clip me on the back of the finger.  I had forgotten how bad that hurt. Crying or Very sad

I don't know why I insist on using well worn engines, guess they just fit the plane.

Not sure if you are aware that the rudder of that model should not extend past the fuselage. That will cure the floppy rudder issue.

I agree with Mark, 20' is a tad short. I am no stranger to space limitations so if you can't go longer on the lines then use a 6x3 prop.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:12 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Yes, that was the question.  

Right now I have 35' of line on my handle but only around 50' of cleared space to fly it in the backyard. Unless I go out into the field, then I won't have over run tarmac and will have to bring along a lot of cardboard.  

If it flys well, I will put that BW back on or at least something with a "stunt" tank.  This is more for fun than anything else.  

The last sentence says it all. Once you lose sight of that in this hobby.. you may as well hang up your handle.

How many Babe Bee's do you have? Cox International sells a back-plate that replaces the tank with just a reed-holder, venturi and NVA set-up... to run your own external tank of choice. The reed engines draw fuel very well, as long as there's decent compression and the engine is assembled with the mindset that anything do with questionable sealing of the crankcase should be corrected.. beginning with the reed. Once the reed-holder is in place, I blow/suck through the front face.. and note the reed's action. I've has "whistles" that I couldn't get rid of when pressurizing.. and the engines still ran ok.. but probably not up to potential.

I scored some NOS "Perfect" brand wedge-tanks years ago.. probably 15 tanks I bought one day from a guy that used to own a local hobby shop. It was a good assortment of tanks too.. from 1/4A to .19 size.

Here's a little gem that would be perfect for a Pee Wee powered stunter in your small/convenient flying area.

Baby Ringmaster returns home, with friends Perfec11

That's 1/8oz. capacity... was there ever a Ringmaster drawn-up for 1/4A?

Baby Ringmaster returns home, with friends Perfec12

I routinely used 6-8oz. wedge-tanks; running those back-plates I mentioned. Cox redesigned their product engine's back-plate from the original "290" style; to one that can be radial-mounted to a firewall.. and is commonly known as the "horseshoe" back-plate. The latest generation has a choke-tube. I can't speak for it's function, because mine are all earlier types. I believe the choke-tube is a separate piece anyway. Anyway.. Rolling Eyes ... I experienced comparable "novice" stunt capability using those tanks.. as compared to my Golden Bees. None of my reedies had fuel-draw trouble.. and I've found that the tank-position is not nearly as critical as with a rotary-valve engine.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:30 pm

Thanks for the heads-up roddie.  I have bought several items from Cox International and will look into obtaining that system.  Brodak makes new Baby Ringmaster kits, I will try it on one of them.

And Ron, yeah that vertical stab sure is wrong.  So much for reading plans way back then.  Might have contributed to it being rebuilt more than once or twice. Smile  I think I will leave it as is though, too much history to change it now.

Edit add:

My son with the BR in Denver

Flying the B Ring in the cul-de-sac in front of his house.  I have no idea how long the lines were, but it had the Black Widow on it at the time.   I have been in that cul-de-sac, it's not very big.... This has be be 12 to 15 years ago.

One more thing..... Talking with Mark the other day he asked me if I remember the first time we flew the Ringmaster. I was at the handle and Mark maybe around seven or eight years old was letting it go. He did, and ran straight for me rather than in the other direction. Said I yelled at him a bit......Absolutely my fault, I should have been much clearer in my pre-flight instructions.... Embarassed

Last edited by rsv1cox on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:43 pm

Roddie,

Look up Pat King LLC. There you will find Ringmasters from .010 up to .60

Bob,

Be aware that the Brodak kit is designed around a beam mount. Not that it can't be modified.

Anyway, Pat King is someone you too may be interested in as well.

A free plan can be had from Outerzone, I encourage you to check out the Brotherhood Of the Ring.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09 pm

I recently purchased a 54" or 58" wingspan corsair from Pat King and the kit is a thing of beauty.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down