Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Cox_ba12

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Empty
Live on Patrol

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's

Go down

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Empty The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:26 pm

The whacky, wonderful, frustrating Wen's

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Wennieuport002_zpsad2dec5a

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Wennieuport003_zpsca0f479a

A small sampling, an even dozen shown but all are different, some in significant ways.  From basically the same crankcase you find pull starts, recoil starts, flip starts.  Small, medium, tall intakes, different heads and cylinders. Begs he question. Why!  Makes you appreciate the simplicity and standardization (mostly) of Cox .049 engines.

Mark mentioned in another thread that there may be around 30 different variations of the .049 Wen Macs.  I’m a believer.  Different applications probably and evolution over time.  

For the most, these have been used and abused.  The pull starts have everything from monofilament fishing line to factory string, to no string at all.  Not one is operable.  Most of the others have been disassembled with pliers marks on the cylinders.  Some of which have three ports.  (Is there a special tool to remove these?)  

Most of the glow plugs and needle valves are missing along with the various gaskets from the parts lot that I bought.  Others are complete engines that I will probably be able to get running.  

It has been a nice adventure getting into Testor/McCoy/Wen Macville but I believe enough is enough and I'm heading back to friendly dependable Cox engines.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Empty Re: The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:01 pm

Good idea Wink
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Empty Re: The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:23 pm

rsv1cox wrote:The whacky, wonderful, frustrating Wen's [....] It has been a nice adventure getting into Testor/McCoy/Wen Macville but I believe enough is enough and I'm heading back to friendly dependable Cox engines.
Oh, on a positive note they have their place. I'd say on the front of a Walt Musiciano Scientific hollow log aeroplane along with an OK Cub or two. If there is one that is otherwise fine sans perhaps an operating spring starter, they can be hand flipped, just like the Cox's.
One only needs a few still working, not a fleet. Leaves
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:25 am

Yeah I hear ya on that I was looking and damn if I don't have one of those with the rip cord broken ! Did you ever get that one u were working on fixed ? The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Engine10 The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Engine11 I have some others I would like to get 2-3 running just to see if I like them? but its hard to beat a COX Small Cox Logo Eric Pumpkin
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:20 am

For the moment I only have 3, the last Testors red head front rotary valve with Testors plastic tank mount, an earlier Testors same type engine but silver head, and a Series 8000 reed valve with integral plastic tank. The one earlier Testors had a botched NVA so I removed it. Will replace it with another, possibly the Norvel. The red head is mounted on a Goldberg Little Toot profile bipe. Also have an OK Cub A with plastic red tank and also a B without. Engine in your photo looks like a Cub B. I didn't know they came with a rip cord starter.

Didn't have the earlier one you have with rip cord starter, instead used spring steel coil starter. Never fixed a broken starter. Engines will run without them.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:14 am

The poor Wen Macs CAN be a lot of fun, at least with us back in the old days.  My Uncle Wayne had built a Jetco "Piper Super Cruiser" (I STILL love the Jetco Kits!), using one that I believe came from a Corsair.   The plane was a Piper, so we called it a "Cub" ( having little knowledge of that company's vast line of planes) and was our official scale plane, allowing us an alternative kind of flying.  The engine was weak enough that WE even made fun of it back then, but it WAS reliable as far as starting.  It pulled the "Cub" around the circle so slowly that we could do wheel landings, rolling it across the infield dirt, and rotating back into the air as it ran out of "runway".

It sort of "floated" out at the end of it's dacron strings, and only got flown in calm air, often at the end of the day as darkness set in.  On the rare occasion that my Uncle could stay later into the evening, Bobby and I would log a lot of night-flying with the Cub, keeping it low enough to have it silhouetted against the street lights surrounding the ballpark.

Good times with an anemic little engine !

Bobby and his sister, Carol Ann with Wayne's "Cub"

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Waynes10

Last edited by Kim on Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:16 am

Eric all four (or is it five Smile) pull string starters have broken springs that will not allow the hand built crank to rewind them.  I'm still looking for a way to remove the black front plate without damaging it so I can get to them.  As GG mentioned, your's looks like an Ok Cub, lightly shown near the mount.  It looks like it has a pully for a remote start boat application?

I just got another Wen Mac again with a broken pull string and a strange second hole drilled by the eyelet hole.  Probably someone fooling around for some reason as it doesn't look factory.

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's OampRWMProp009_zps4b39da95

And GG, I would love to see a picture of those engines. Smile

A Wen Mac propeller came with that engine. It was tightly packed around the engine and bent like a pretzel. Somehow overnight it has straightened out somewhat.

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's OampRWMProp001_zps839a3d36

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's OampRWMProp003_zps323718dc
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:01 am

Figuring that Jetco Piper Super Cub had I think a 37 or 39 inch wingspan, that little engine did wonders flying it in the circle. You probably needed a Cox Medallion .09 or OS Pet .09 to really move it along.

A few photos of my Testors McCoy with bad NVA I'm to replace, Goldberg Little Toot with Testors McCoy Red Head and tank mount, Goldberg Swordsman 18 with Testors Series 8000 reed valve engine, another with an OK Cub A model iwth tank mount, OK Cub B on test stand running, and a propeller nick from it. Those Cubs are still capable of biting!  Wink

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Testor10

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Lil_to10

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Testor11

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Goldbe10

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Swords10

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Ok_cub10

The whacky wonderful frustrating Wen's Ok_cub11
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:26 am

Cool looking planes Man ur a testors / wen mac man from way back I like that Jetco Piper Super Cub , with that wing span would be a stable flyer I would think . Eric Pumpkin Leaves
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down