Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Amateur Radio Cox_ba12

Amateur Radio Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Amateur Radio Empty
Live on Patrol

Amateur Radio

Go down

Amateur Radio Empty Amateur Radio

Post  ian1954 Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:33 am

As it brought back memories, I thought I would steal this from another thread

fredvon4 wrote:Well done Andrew. Good safe design and very neat engineering of layout and box.

As a Ham Radio operator I have several AC to DC power supplies but all are either store bought or purpose built (by me) to maintain constant current to keep the transmitter finals happy.

I fondly remember building several Heath Kit projects in the 60s with my dad and he stressed to me the importance of "neat" and efficient construction/layout.

It is back to the 60's when I passed my Radio Amateurs Exam and got a call sign (code) that allowed me to transmit on the 2M band. Short distance but remember this is pre mobile phone nonesense! There were strict rules about what you could and couldn't say and it had a language (acronyms) of its own.

About a year later, I passed the morse code test (it took me ages to master it!) to allow me to use the higher frequencies but I could not afford a transmitter - I had an ex military receiver.

It was a struggle to qualify but this was quickly wiped out by, what was then, the illegal introduction of the "Citizens Band". Cheap oufits flooded the country and it was adopted by so many that it then became legal. THIS WAS THE DEATH KNELL FOR MANY MODEL AEROPLANES. They operated on 27MHZ and interference was rife. "&MHZ was then only allowed for model boats and cars. Aeroplanes had to move to 35MHZ. There was a lot of ill will at the time - the "Citizens Band" was not policed and ...........

I never went back to it but do remember "Heathkit" and all the magazines (now disappeared into oblivion!). Heathkit kits were available from Tandy (this was the name given to "RadioShack" in the UK. These shops had many delights for "hobby" electronics constructors - kits, components - knowledgable staff ....... Tandy disappeared from the streets here many years ago.

I continued to visit RadioShack on my trips to the USA but now they are just mobile phone and toy stores! I looked in the one in Chicago on Thursday- don't know why - I am always disappointed!

I was delighted to see that there are still "Hams" around. In the 60's, you could spot a "Ham's House" by the aerials - ranging from wire stung between poles to all sing and dancing motorised Yagi. Not seen that for years.

Thank you Fred for the trips down memory lane!

ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Amateur Radio Empty Re: Amateur Radio

Post  fredvon4 Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:48 pm

Ian

As noted I am perusing old threads and found this one

I am not set up now with ANY antennas ( past storms and no real passion to fix)

But some years from now I will be too infirm to play model airplane, and would hope to find some like minded guys, like you, from my arm chair on 20, 40, 80 meters voice

Jest a thought

KD5NCO
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:06 pm

I have often thought of this and the equipment is now very cheap compared to 45 years ago.

http://radioworld.co.uk/used_ham_radio_equipment/hf_transceivers

I looked at my last post and how time passes. Radioshack is no more.

I also remember that arranging conversations was a little "hit and miss" and depended on not only the weather but the time of day. We are talking a long time ago - so I did a search .........

Establishing contact is dependent upon

The distance from the transmitter to the target receiver.

Time of day. During the day, frequencies higher than approximately 12 MHz can travel longer distances than lower ones. At night, this property is reversed.

With lower frequencies the dependence on the time of the day is mainly due to the lowest ionospheric layer, the D Layer, forming only during the day when photons from the sun break up atoms into ions and free electrons.

Season. During the winter months of the Northern or Southern hemispheres, the AM/MW broadcast band tends to be more favorable because of longer hours of darkness.

Solar flares produce a large increase in D region ionization so high, sometimes for periods of several minutes, all skywave propagation is nonexistent.

Much easier these days to use "Skype" over the internet and get video as well! I have used this to and from the USA, India, Africa, Israel and China.

I too also bear in mind that age and health will be a limiting factor in pursuing our hobby.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Ian as much as finding a good for YOU and ME skype time may be relatively easy...I would dearly love, say 10 years from now, to chat with you using Amater Radio

after all I did spend the bucks for the equipment and time for the license

Not sure if in England you saw the Movie frequency or the new this year series along the same idea... Ham radio time shifted to the past and the associated changes to a time line by changing history... terrible writing, real bad Ham radio procedures, and obvious errors with equipment and antenna capabilities....but yet still good, mind numbing, entertainment....grin
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:14 pm

I've always been interested in radios and transmitters going back to when I was quite young. I occasionally have the scanner on (2m band) to listen to the local guys discuss weather, electronics, events and other stuff. If I ever get the time, I'd like to get a technicians ticket. There's been many times that I'd like to add my Two Cents to the conversation.

RadioShack is pretty much done, most of them closed up around here. They had little to nothing of use anymore. If you ever make it to the Twin Cities, stop in "Radio City" in Mounds View, you'll have fun in there. They refuse to sell any transmitting equipment or accessories without a ham license (although there is no law against it). Also check out AxMan Surplus, they have a few locations around the city. Lots of good stuff in there.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:00 am

fredvon4 wrote:terrible writing, real bad Ham radio procedures, and obvious errors with equipment and antenna capabilities....but yet still good, mind numbing, entertainment....grin

The same descriptors work precisely for ANY TV series involving ANY airplane subject matter!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:02 pm

I dearly hope Ian sees this post

I have firmly decided to sell off ALL my Amateur radio equipment and sadly leave that hobby in the distant past

For me it was always a struggle --as I am NOT a smart person... IQ or education wise...to get Antennas and radio gear to be relibale

I just spent an unpleasantness 5 days trying to get a new cell phone to behave....that said, internet helps so much I can not deliberately consider an ancient communication method worth MY time

SO..Ian (England) and any other Germany, Budapest, Singapore, or Australia guy who wants to chat... it will be on current state of the art sat/internet/landline/skype type connections

The KD5NCO call will be relevant only until it needs renewal...NOT
BUT PHRED is NO longer on 40 or 80 meters

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGoodwreck Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:37 pm

This thread started out cool, but seemed to go downhill.

Kind of a bummer.

Covid really helped upped the numbers of Amateur Radio beginners, and it is really getting quite interesting.

Along with foreign made radios that are on the cheap side of the price scale.

Im an Extra, but mainly just listen, and play field day, or local 2m/70cm stuff.

Would love to chat with anyone here.

De/73

W6KMD Beer Cheers
MrGoodwreck
MrGoodwreck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:20 am

Due to the Last two years of disasters, pandemics, and Political nonsense; I decided to keep my unsold station equipment as part of my long term Prepper kit of good stuff to have. I also kept my FCC naturally assigned (not a vanity call) of KD5NCO as I retired as a Senior NCO from the Army, a general class ticket.
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Amateur Radio Empty RE: Amateur Radio

Post  Eddy Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:14 am

My dad bought a short wave radio during the second world war, he would use it on a regular basis. He kept it all his life and used it up till the mid 1960's. When he passed away in 1987 the radio was one of the things that I have hung on to all these years as it is so neat looking. I have kept all the manuals and and paper work to it. It was made by, the Hallicrafters co. out of Chicago, in 1941. It is called "The Super Skyrider" an is model, SX-28, it has the matching external base-reflex 5000 ohm speaker with cabinet as well. It has not been turned on since the mid 1960's when dad last used it. I was told by someone, to not just plug it in and turn it on after all these years, so I have never used it. It is really neat looking with all the amber collared dials that light up. It has sat in my basement, covered up all these years, I don't know how many are still around today. Eddy
Eddy
Eddy
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cstatman Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:56 am

here is a Hallicrafter fan-site http://www.w9wze.net/

maybe you can find someone in your area that runs them, and can help you bring yours back to life.

here is another - http://www.worldtubecompany.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=RRRL

I'm in San Jose, CA, found a guy, restored my dad's old receiver.. i turn it on every so often just to hear the hum and crackle, then listen to Radio Portugal or something...

the problem is? all the old guys who know how to get this stuff running? are dying off, and not many are left with the skills.... find someone local, you can get that thing back to life.....

cstatman
cstatman
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  MrGoodwreck Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:21 pm

Eddy wrote:My dad bought a short wave radio during the second world war, he would use it on a regular basis. He kept it all his life and used it up till the mid 1960's. When he passed away in 1987 the radio was one of the things that I have hung on to all these years as it is so neat looking. I have kept all the manuals and and paper work to it. It was made by, the Hallicrafters co. out of Chicago, in 1941. It is called "The Super Skyrider" an is model, SX-28, it has the matching external base-reflex 5000 ohm speaker with cabinet as well. It has not been turned on since the mid 1960's when dad last used it. I was told by someone, to not just plug it in and turn it on after all these years, so I have never used it. It is really neat looking with all the amber collared dials that light up. It has sat in my basement, covered up all these years, I don't know how many are still around today. Eddy

Very cool!

Im betting it would just need to be re-capped.

You could do it if you have patients. Wink

If I were closer, I would help you.
MrGoodwreck
MrGoodwreck
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:18 am

This is more my speed LOL https://www.ebay.com/itm/324516900488
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:49 am

A few months ago, I bought and set up one of these: http://kiwisdr.com/

That was after hovering over the buy-it-now button for about a year beforehand. I finally caved once I saw prices at other retailers began to spike.

It's a SDR (software defined radio) that can be configured to be made available online with remote access. There is no need for additional software, it works through your browser. The unit itself acts as a web server. There's a map of these receivers available to control and listen to all over the world: http://rx.linkfanel.net/ I don't have mine listed as of yet as I'm still in the process of working on the antenna and hammering out some minor issues with the network. HF/SW is also currently trashed with noise, that will hopefully be solved with the better antenna and a few other things I plan to do to it in the near future.

However, CEF members can check it out here:

If it freezes when entering or when using it, reload the page after 30 seconds or so. It only seems to freeze once in awhile when someone is trying to join. Doesn't do it all the time. That is one of the issues I've been working on solving. Could be the cheap WiFi adapter I have on it.

There are multiple configurations, one configuration allows for 3 users, another allows for 4 users, and another allows for 8 users. I have currently have it in the 3 user configuration as it allows for wideband (±10.125kHz) operation. The other two configurations limit the bandwidth to ±6kHz with the 8 user mode limiting the full waterfall to only 2 users out of the 8.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:55 pm

cool
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:56 pm

Wow, thats fun! Thought I'd messed the whole thing up hitting buttons just to see happens. Finally half figured how to "dial-in" stations.
WHEE, like a kid with a crystal radio...what can you find?? Thanks for sharing.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum