Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register! Guests are limited to posting in the "General Questions (Guest Posting Allowed)" section only. Becoming a member is fast, easy and FREE!

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Cox Engine of The Month
November-2017
MauricioB's

"Cox Tee Dee .010"

PAST WINNERS
Speed Contest 2018
CEF Traveling Engine

Gallery

Win This Engine!
The Traveling Prop
World of Aviation

What to do with NOS parts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What to do with NOS parts?

Post  KariFS on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:33 pm

I stumbled upon a small lot of genuine old stock Cox parts, still in their original cards and plastic bubbles. Click the thumbnail to view the full size pic.

[Broken (very severely broken Shocked ) link removed]

There are some narrow neck golden bee crankcases, a couple of overhaul kits, a needle valve and a couple of propellers. One of the crankcases is significantly lighter in colour compared to the others but it is still listed as a golden bee part, cat. #1204.

Would it make sense to use these as parts for engine builds or are they more valuable as "collectibles"? I have some glow plug adapters new in box too. I am not so much interested in collecting NIB stuff, but would not like to "ruin" anything potentially valuable for a collector, I would rather trade these for something that is useful for me.

Or should I just rip'em open as I need'em? The package of the needle is not in good condition so I'll use that as a spare part anyway.

Any opinions, insights and comments welcome.

Last edited by KariFS on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What to do with NOS parts?

Post  Cribbs74 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:42 pm

Use them.

It may be worth more to some. However, it's NIB engines that bring more money.
Cribbs74

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:46 pm

A new in package (NIB) part is worth 2-3, maybe 4 times what a "like new" part is worth, but then you got to find that guy that needs that part.
Personally, if I didn't need it, i'd probably pin it on the wall and enjoy it as a cool little collectable item, when I got tired of it sell it or use it.
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:03 pm

I would trade you those 5 packages for "something useful to you". What do you need?
Don't care about props and needle valve.

I have two engines to trade

Last edited by crankbndr on Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:09 am; edited 1 time in total
crankbndr
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

I Support My Forum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 on Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:24 am

i like Mark's idea. Look at them until you are ready to use them or sell them. If you are looking to build an engine to sell it that is not a lucrative assignment. I have generally found that the whole, is always less than the sum of the parts. If you know what I mean. Andy

anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:31 pm

crankbndr wrote:I would trade you those 5 packages for "something useful to you". What do you need?
Don't care about props and needle valve.

I have two engines to trade

Well, maybe I should've said "more useful" Smile

I noticed that you were looking for a light colour Golden Bee crankcase earlier this year, did you already find one? The one I have might be what you are/were looking for. It certainly is noticeably lighter compared to the others and the colour is in the anodizing, it has not faded or been damaged in the package as the package is intact.

Are you offering both your engines for these 5 items? I am "sort of" looking for a TeeDee, can you give details about its condition? What's the red one? New production obviously but is it standard or "high performance"?

Most spare parts that I currently need are readily available at Cox Intl, except for a couple of old style needle valves with the wide top. The one on my RR1 has a slot filed (off center of course Mad ) for a screwdriver, and the one on the "possibly Spitfire" is bent. So if you have one or two straight ones to spare, I'm interested.

Have you shipped overseas before, and/or do you have an idea of the shipping cost?
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:45 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:A new in package (NIB) part is worth 2-3, maybe 4 times what a "like new" part is worth, but then you got to find that guy that needs that part.
Personally, if I didn't need it, i'd probably pin it on the wall and enjoy it as a cool little collectable item, when I got tired of it sell it or use it.

Yes, that's what I thought. Fortunately I don't have a fortune in them, so I might just pin them on the wall unless someone is willing to trade them for something even cooler. I could use them too, but I thought that someone somewhere would probably be happy to have these complete with packaging and would appreciate them even more than I do. The light coloured crankcase made me curious, it seems that maybe some batches of the gold anodizing didn't come out as planned. Every now and then on eBay there is "pale" golden bees for sale, sometimes they fetch more than the "proper" ones, sometimes less. I haven't found much info about how common or uncommon they are.

Last edited by KariFS on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:17 am; edited 2 times in total
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:51 pm

anm2 wrote:i like Mark's idea.  Look at them until you are ready to use them or sell them.  If you are looking to build an engine to sell it that is not a lucrative assignment.  I have generally found that the whole, is always less than the sum of the parts.  If you know what I mean.   Andy

Yeah I think I know what you mean. To build a complete engine from genuine NIB parts would be interesting but, as you say, would probably cost more than an NIB Golden Bee.

Same thing with most builds or restorations. Whether it's a car or a motorcycle, to buy a POS and restore it, you'll end up spending twice the price of an already restored one. But hey, it's a hobby lol!
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:02 pm

I got a little nuts again it seems... Emailed back and forth with this one fellow about buying some C/L stuff like bellcranks and a fuel tank and ended up buying a bunch of stuff. NOS/NIB Cox/Thimble Drome spares, SIG bellcranks and other accessories, a couple of sets of links, handles etc.

Here's a pic of the lot:

There's a new fuel tank and a bunch of gasket sets for my PeeWee, some assorted reeds and retainers, a couple of left hand starter springs for .049s and some prop drive plates for Golden Bee and PeeWee. I guess not the most useful items for everyday flying but interesting stuff anyway.

Again I am wondering if I should use them as I need them or save them as they are Smile

Any opinions?

Edit. Sorry about the blurry picture, it looked sharper on my phone. Oh, and there's an NIB TeeDee/Medallion tank mount too Smile

Here's another pic, not much better but maybe a little.

KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:50 pm

BUILD! BUILD! BUILD!

BUILD! Mark
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:06 pm

batjac wrote:BUILD! BUILD! BUILD!

BUILD! Mark

Oh yes, the Scorpion build has been dormant again for too long. I've done just some sanding and bought the paint and hinge material. But now that this package arrived, I have the bellcrank&horn set (9 of them actually), the bolts to mount the motor (not available at hw stores around here) and just about everything except the thin wire for the lead-outs. I forgot to get some wheel collars but I'll just solder some washers on the landing gear instead.

Good advice, thanks Very Happy
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

WHAT TO DO WITH NOS PARTS?

Post  Robbasdog on Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:05 pm

If you've still got a red Peewee prop drive plate you would part with, my wee beastie would be very grateful! I bought it new in 1965 and it's given me many happy flights, but now it's looking a little tired... well a lot tired, actually! Already found a NIP red tank/reed assy, still looking for a new propdrive plate and a new tank backplate assy so I can give the ol' girl a real re-birthday. Probably gonna cost more than buying a new one, but then it wouldn't be my ol' girl, would it??
Robbasdog
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:20 pm

Wow Robbasdog you resurrected a old posting and I did not notice it, so when I clicked on the link, all I saw was dogs and a big busted girl in a wedding dress...grin

http://aijaa.com/xoccQO
fredvon4
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Trusted Seller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbasdog on Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:25 pm

Always pleased to be of service! LOL
Robbasdog
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:40 am

Holy carp Fishing  That was scary, at least the pic I saw when I clicked the link.  

Fred, I hope you saw this one:

Anyhow, Robbasdog, I do have a couple of those red drive plates, and I dont think I will need all of them.

Would you happen to have an old-style needle (the one with the large head) in good condition for Bee - type engines? I would be glad to trade a drive plate for such a needle, I still need a good one for my RR-1, and these are not available new. I'll even throw in an NOS Pee Wee gasket set  Wink
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod on Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:23 am

KariFS wrote:

That's not what I saw.  I got the scary one as well.  Didn't see an dogs of the canine variety, but then there was this one picture of...........
Oldenginerod
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbasdog on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:08 am

I've been looking for one of those myself for my old Babe Bee. It had one from new, but when it got bent I fit a later one. Wish I'd kept it now...how often do we say that!!! I can think of three motorcycles I've sold that I should have kept, not a hope of affording any one of them now. If you're not averse to a bit of cannibalism there's a ratty Golden Bee on ebay at the mo that's got one on it. Was tempted myself, but I find the postage from the USA makes buying small one-off items a bit dear for us this side of the pond. For a Babe Bee anyway, if I had an RR-1, well, that's different! Anyhoo...I'd still like the Peewee drive plate, if I may. Will you let me know how much & I can flip you the required amount on paypal. Thanks for the offer of the gaskets, but I already have a few spare sets.
 Oh yeah, nice picture! I especially like the one at the back....always had a soft spot for Cocker Spaniels. Babe's not too shabby, either!
Robbasdog
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  getback on Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:26 am

Damn Thanks for not posting that pic Fred ... http://aijaa.com/xoccQO affraid
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:21 am

Robbasdog wrote:...Anyhoo...I'd still like the Peewee drive plate, if I may. Will you let me know how much & I can flip you the required amount on paypal. Thanks for the offer of the gaskets, but I already have a few spare sets.
 Oh yeah, nice picture! I especially like the one at the back....always had a soft spot for Cocker Spaniels. Babe's not too shabby, either!

That's Ravi Shankar's daughter Smile In my opinion she sings even better than she looks. Kind of a voice that, if listened live from a close enough proximity, might get me into many kinds of trouble Hot Norah Jones is her name.

Sorry for the delay with the answer, but sure, the drive plate is available. I finally got off my butt and created me a PayPal account Money Toss I'll shoot you a private message about details. And please pm me your name and address.
KariFS
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbasdog on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:01 pm

I thought she looked familiar, seen a video of her but can't remember what song. And yes , what a lovely voice. Same goes for Katie Melua. Kari, I've got a bunch of old 049's coming from a neighbour soon, there's bound to be some large-head needles in that lot, so I'll keep you posted, and send some pics of the good ones. Who knows, there may even be a few spares for other folks who need them. Win-win-win, best way to go! I should have them in about a week, when the guy gets back in town.

Cheers, Rob
Robbasdog
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top