Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Cox_ba12

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Empty
Live on Patrol

Gilbert 11

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Empty Re: Gilbert 11

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:23 pm

Controlliner wrote:The Fox Rocket .099 got a lot of bad press but I love mine and it is a screamer. That is on Omega 10% with a Cox Grey 7X3.
The big trick seems to be the prop size. The Fox lugs down badly with a prop that's too big. I first tried mine with a prop (can't remember the size) that you'd expect to use on some other .09 size engines. Don't let the .099 size designtion fool you. You need to treat them like a far smaller engine when choosing a prop. "Screamer" is certainly not a word I've heard attached to these engines. I haven't been able to pull more than about 9K RPM from mine, regardless of prop. Think I got that from a 6x3. Going back to the Gilbert topic, I've had good success with both the 7 & 11 sizes by running them with the original factory size props. The Gilbert instruction card says 6x3 to 6x4 on the .07 & a 7x4 to 8x3 for the .11.
I'd suggest that the 7x3 on the Fox would be the upper limit.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:10 am

I'm enjoying Eric's thread with everyone chiming in.  Rod's the resident expert on these and I have learned a lot from him.  George's Outerzone plans for the "Bambin" helps too, reminds me of my Dubro Scout.

Anyway I have this rather crispy Gilbert 11 coming, an ebay buy for $8.50 that makes Eric's purchase look like a Cadillac among a group of junkyard Fords. (Sellers photos)

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Gilber10

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Gilber11

The spring starter is probably broken and the head may be bad, and I'm concerned about the prop drive shaft, but it's a start.  I have four new Sevens but no Elevens and all Sevens being new I have not ran or disassembled any of them, so this Eleven will be a learning experience for me and hopefully a flyer.  

These Gilberts are interesting, I like the dual "exhausts".  The Sevens seem to have a beam case mount with just two mounting holes that are tapped for 2/56 machine screws.  I bet a lot of these get drilled out to 4/40.  

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Mx-5_g12

I got a kick out of Kim's twin engine Gilberts flight, so with documentation like that they must run. This Eleven will get a dunk in the pot and mounted on something.  I may even scratch that Bambin, put would prefer to find a suitable kit.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:34 am

Might be good to pick up a set of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Gilbert-11-Thunderhead-glow-heads-/322300176249?hash=item4b0a966779:g:gZMAAOSwV0RXs8VD
Pretty good price for four working heads.  As mentioned previously, there are several different variations in the heads, as you'll see in the link.  Also, the heads to suit the "11" seem to be far more reliable than those on the "7".
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:22 am

Oldenginerod wrote:Might be good to pick up a set of these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Gilbert-11-Thunderhead-glow-heads-/322300176249?hash=item4b0a966779:g:gZMAAOSwV0RXs8VD
Pretty good price for four working heads.  As mentioned previously, there are several different variations in the heads, as you'll see in the link.  Also, the heads to suit the "11" seem to be far more reliable than those on the "7".

Thanks Rod. I had been looking at these...........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Gilbert-011-Glow-Heads-Model-Airplane-Engine-/162212753745?hash=item25c4a23151:g:XQEAAOSwARZXis~a

but your find is the better deal, I will pick up a set. Do you think the prop drive shaft is broken off? Not a good view of it though.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:53 am

rsv1cox wrote:
Thanks Rod.  I had been looking at these...........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Two-Gilbert-011-Glow-Heads-Model-Airplane-Engine-/162212753745?hash=item25c4a23151:g:XQEAAOSwARZXis~a

but your find is the better deal, I will pick up a set.  Do you think the prop drive shaft is broken off?  Not a good view of it though.

Bob
Steve, selling the set of four heads, has been selling these engines & heads for years, new old stock. Nice fellow & stands behind his products.
I think your crankshaft is ok. As you see in the top picture, the starter hub is sitting forward a good 3/8" from where it should be. Also, that is a rather deep prop-nut, designed to clear the original type prop's recessed centre hub so that an original flat type wrench could be used. With the hub sitting where it should be, I think you'll find there's plenty of room for the prop.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:
rsv1cox wrote:
Thanks Rod.  I had been looking at these...........

but your find is the better deal, I will pick up a set.  Do you think the prop drive shaft is broken off?  Not a good view of it though.

Bob
Steve, selling the set of four heads, has been selling these engines & heads for years, new old stock.  Nice fellow & stands behind his products.
I think your crankshaft is ok.  As you see in the top picture, the starter hub is sitting forward a good 3/8" from where it should be.  Also, that is a rather deep prop-nut, designed to clear the original type prop's recessed center hub so that an original flat type wrench could be used.  With the hub sitting where it should be, I think you'll find there's plenty of room for the prop.

Thanks Rod. Yes Steve, that's the fellow that sold me the Gilbert parts and I believe the two 7's above with the yellow props. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Just added another 11. This one looks much nicer. I sniped the sniper at the last second. Went from $9.50 USD to $24.27, still quite a lot for this engine.

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Gilber13

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Gilber12

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Bob, I got an .11 Gilbert just like yours about a year ago from Steve (E-Bay sb1photo). It has the alternate short prop drive plate like yours that exposes the crankcase detent socket for the spring rotomatic starter.

There is a seller currently on E-bay by the name of carne234 who is selling a highly customised A.C. Gilbert .11 with red powder coat crankcase, gilded steel cylinder head fins and polished muffler and glow head. He's asking $75 US with $6.50 shipping with 5 days left on "buy it now".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gilbert-Thunderhead-11-engine-custom-done/291942054237

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Ac_gil11
Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Ac_gil10
Gilbert 11 - Page 2 Ac_gil12

It does look attractive. Personally I am happy with my stock looking .11's, but might appeal to someone who wants something a little different.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Looks more like enamel than powdercoat to me. Nice to look at, not so good to run. He also has two right hand exhausts fitted, which so many seem to do. No good for control line use if you offset the engine. Must be lots of homeless left hand pipes out there somewhere.

Way too much dollar for what it is. The Polk's box is nice.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks for clarifying the box, Rod. That is a new one for me, never saw one before. As far as identical exhaust mufflers, it would look more correct on an RC aircraft, particularly with less power one might not have as much right thrust as on a CL. The .11 I bought from Tower Hobbies about 14 years ago had both same mufflers. More recent one I bought from Steve had the correct mufflers.

Fact that heads can be exchanged with the Medallion / Tee Dee .15 tells me that I could get one of those Mecoa glow plug heads, which would add versatility to the engine. It may not be a power house, but I intend to eventually put them to use, one of my bucket items. Smoking
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:54 am

Yes,  he calles it "powered" coated what-ever that is, but looks enamel.

He probably meant powder coated but I don't see that resemblance either. I have several cans of red "High Heat"  paint in various shades left over from my MG engine building days that would do a similar job.  Nice looking engine though.

He has "custom" Cox engines too I see.  Only one I would be interested in is the Babe Bee with the green tank and drive washer, not a fan of the pink (red) spinner though.  I have black ones that would look better.  

My Gilberts (that have "headers") are matched, but this one (top picture) are mismatched.  Looking over some old Gilbert ads I see Gilberts equipped the same way.  

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 19x_an10

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  wha-tah-hey Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:52 pm

rsv1cox wrote:My Gilberts (that have "headers") are matched, but this one (top picture) are mismatched.  Looking over some old Gilbert ads I see Gilberts equipped the same way.  

Gilbert 11 - Page 2 19x_an10

Bob

Just a note - it's my understanding that the "unmatched" headers were original equipment, to fit the RTF models Gilbert's were mounted in.
wha-tah-hey
wha-tah-hey
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:12 pm

Thanks, I had heard that sometime ago but it didn't stick. Hopefully this time it will. Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:48 pm

The way they were mounted in the RTF's, the prop spinner was centered to look correct, but the engine was given a good bit of right thrust so the left back side of the engine would be closer to the left fuselage edge and back off center but prop hub still centered. Thus to appear correct, muffler on the left had to be shorter. Once in the model, the uneven lengths of the mufflers would be transparent as they would be seen stick out beyond the fuselage sides at equal distances but parallel to fuselage centerline with a symmetrical look.

If one were to put one of these .11's with this type muffler arrangement with the same amount of side thrust as in the Gilbert RTF's, in say a 26" span DeBolt All American, could modify the beam mounting so muffler alignment as well as prop hub would appear correct.

I just noticed that the owner relisted the item and the relisting closed. Thus, given his high price and considering his mods, reminds me of a lot of motorcycle ads. Some people feel their motorcycles plus their upgrades are worth more than the market will bear.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:09 pm

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Looks like the seller may have lightly sanded the prop hub, nut and glow head to expose the untarnished aluminum below the Castor oil coating. From what I understand, these engines were stored coated with Castor oil, that congealed with age, making their clean up difficult. He did start it off with a lower more reasonable cost, which now we see bidding taking place.

The Gilbert planes looked a touch better than their competition, but in reading their history they came too late, when the others had already entrenched the market.

The OEM stooge is an interesting concept, haven't seen any from Cox or Wen Mac (later Testors).
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:34 pm

I have actually seen these with a gold-like finish on the crankcases.  I don't believe it's just tarnish or castor.  I've found no confirmation of this, but I've seen enough to believe that some did come this way.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2