Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Cox_ba12

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Empty
Live on Patrol

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded)

Go down

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Empty My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded)

Post  rsv1cox Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:09 am

All of my recent activity involving wasting money on mostly clapped out .049's in a learning process took time away from constructing my vintage Sterling model Nieuport model 28, a favorite of mine.  But, I'm getting back on track.

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Loft-ebayNikon003_zps49b28dee

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Wennieuport005_zpsc7638885

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Loft-ebayNikon015_zps681ac048

This kit had been somewhat bashed by a previous owner with all of the parts punched out and with some parts missing that I had to fabricate.  The plans and decals were missing too.  Not a problem with the plans as I had a spare set copied by Staples used to cut out templates..  

Having two more complete unmolested 28 kits I decided just to build this one as it came, using the fabric provided for the elevator hinges and the original but well wrinkled silk span.  A hot iron took care of the wrinkled hinge material and the silk span.  On my first 28 I used dubro hinges and a better quality silk span probably obtained from the LHS.

Since then (40 years ago) the quality of hinges and covering materials have greatly improved, but on this build I’m happily stuck in the past.  

Sterling marketed this kit as a “Stunt” model, but I’m not so sure.

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) MC007_zpsd2936f3e

I have done loops with my first one but never tried inverted flight or “patterns” with it.  While the lamented 21 series McCoy .35 pulls well there is so much drag with the two wings, struts, and “wires” (thread) that I never wanted to “rekit” it with extreme maneuvers.  

I’m sure there is some grumbling out there regarding the cloth hinges and vintage silk span (well justified)  but both seem to be working out well and I’m soldiering on.  

I still have to deal with the bell crank and lead outs, mount and true the wings, cover and select some sort of camouflage scheme using vintage aero gloss dope.  But that’s all fun stuff.  

Next and last 28 that I build will have all the correct bells and whistles, perhaps more up to date covering materials, and I will use my last set of treasured decals.  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Empty Re: My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded)

Post  Oldenginerod Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:01 pm

It's your build so you can choose to do it however you like.  No-one has the right to tell you you've done it wrong (unless they're ffering some technical advice.)  If you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

I've always had a soft spot for the Nieuports.  Here's a 1:72 scale Airfix 28 I built over 35 years ago. (It's a little dusty).  I remember putting in heaps of effort to build and paint it as accurately as I could.
My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) 100_4310
I built a whole range of the classic WW1 aircraft.  Was a kind of therapy for a young lonely teenage boy with self esteem issues.  (I got over it  Laughing )

When I was a kid my late brother started to build a free flight Nieuport 17 from plans in a model mag.  Wish I knew which mag.   It had about a 28" sheet wing span and he was going to use the Mills .75 to power it.  When he left home I eventually finished building it, but decided that I didn't want free flight, so I converted it to take my Super Bee and rigged it for control line.  I never got it sorted out to fly, so it still sits in a box somewhere unflown.  I must dig it out.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Empty Re: My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded)

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:36 am

Dust ads character and enhances that "vintage" look Rod. Smile

Remarkable detail for 1:72 scale. How did you paint the undersides? My plans call for light "sky" blue as on the full scale airplane, but I just painted mine tan. I might change that on this one.

I had just finished a rubber powered Nieuport 17 prior to starting this one, but my first model ever was a Spad built in my early teens. I loved the scalloped trailing edges on the wings.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:43 am

While that plane may loop, and I'm quite sure it would take the entire sky to do it, I wouldn't trust it to other maneuvers. Flying inverted is no different than flying upright. If your experienced enough to place the plane in the upright position after inversion it's quite easy. The problem is that most people try to fly the plane upright by flying a outside loop from inverted to upright the plane. This kills off speed rapidly and smashes the plane. Whipping the plane and tucking the plane under by flying high inverted and doing an inside loop is the way to do it because the plane will gain speed rather than lose it. For the record, if your skills are in need of honing I wouldn't try it. Everything about that plane is not good in terms of a stunter. It's just too draggy and the wings are too thin. I've built many Sterling C-Series kits and they're just cool. Fun to see flying but they're roundy round flyers and you need to accept that or your going to be picking up the pieces. I've been working on a C -Series PT-17 for quite some time. I need to finish it and it seems like an eternity. I 've posted pics on here but I can get some more recent ones. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:33 am

Ken, thanks for the inputs on Sterling "C" series of kits. What is your impression of the 36 inch span Sig Spad and Sig Fokker D-VII profile CL's? Are these decent stunters? I found their plans on Hip Pocket Aeronautics website, seem to be easy builds.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:04 am

George, I know Larry Rice from Blackhawk offered the Sig profile Fokker. I only witnessed one flying. This was the Sig version and it had a 4 stroke on the nose. It flew very well and I witnessed it on it's maiden flight. That was it's only flight. For the short period of time I saw it fly, it was cool. The builder has a bad habit of getting anxious. I've never seen him out with the same plane in a month's time they usually don't last that long with him. He also has a hard time of taking advice. I'm quite impressed with his rekitting skills though.

I feel that some of the reasoning that the plane does successfully fly is due to the wings being somewhat far apart. The Flying Fool I feel suffers from the opposite which is why in my opinion doesn't fly as nice as it looks. Just a theory I have. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:44 pm

Interesting discussion Ken.  With symmetrical wings that Nieuport should fly ok upside down, I just never had the courage to try it.  Doing loops, I would just start high, give it a little down to gain speed and quickly loop it.

My homebuilt "flaps" plane, inverted no problem.

My Nieuport 28 build (sorry long winded) Nieuport-Flaps012_zpsaf537b1e
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:20 pm

As Ken alluded to, stunt is a broad term. Back in the 50's/60's if a plane could do a big loop it was considered a stunter.

That aside your Nieuport is a beautiful plane and even if it can't perform more than a wingover or a loop, it is still a worthwhile project. I hope to see a finished project soon. I adore WWI era aircraft!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down