Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees Cox_ba12

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees Empty
Live on Patrol

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees

Go down

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees Empty Fresh off the farm Babe Bees

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Following Cox 049 of the month:

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees 6fba7710

Reminds me of one my son found in an open field in Gallup, NM in the 1990's. Not long ago I cleaned it up, plan to put it on a Sterling Beginner P-47 he never finished. Since I have a 1 YO grandson, his son, I think it would make a good gift for them.

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees Babe_b10

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees Cox_ba10

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees Cox_ba11
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Fresh off the farm Babe Bees Empty Re: Fresh off the farm Babe Bees

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:56 pm

That's an early one George. Good job on the cleanup.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:24 pm

That cleaned up very nicely! Great Job! Clapping I'll need to dig up some pictures of my barn find Babe Bees, I always like finding the rough ones to clean up and get running again.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:08 am

George, that P-47 flies better than it should. It really has a spot in my heart. I built almost every beginner's Sterling kit made with the exception of the Thunderjet which never seemed to come available. I have only 4 left from my early days. The Shoestring, P-51, and a Spitfire and my P-47. The P-47 without landing gear just works. I learned inverted flight flying that plane using a Babe Bee. I would fly it inverted until the engine would sag a bit and upright and go again. It was a fun flying plane. I smashed it so many times and glued it back together so much I don't think there's any balsa left in the glue. The closest performance I achieved to it was the Spitfire. The Shoestring is horrific but it would make a good racing candidate. Glad to see that Bee has a home. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:42 am

Ken Cook wrote:George, that P-47 flies better than it should. It really has a spot in my heart. I built almost every beginner's Sterling kit made with the exception of the Thunderjet which never seemed to come available. I have only 4 left from my early days. The Shoestring, P-51, and a Spitfire and my P-47. The P-47 without landing gear just works. I learned inverted flight flying that plane using a Babe Bee. I would fly it inverted until the engine would sag a bit and upright and go again. It was a fun  flying plane. I smashed it so many times and glued it back together so much I don't think there's any balsa left in the glue. The closest performance I achieved to it was the Spitfire. The Shoestring is horrific but it would make a good racing candidate. Glad to see that Bee has a home. Ken

Thanks, Ron and Admin for the kind comments. Thanks, Ken for sharing your experiences.

The P-47 was left in its raw assembled balsa state. I redid the elevator hinge, it was too stiff using the thicker cloth. My son got a little carried away with the glue. Since I don't have decals, I was thinking of painting and marking it as either UK or Australian version. (Roundels are easier to mimic.)

Out of the Sterling Beginners, I have an unassembled F6F Hellcat. I downloaded plans of the Eindecker. This is the one that taught me how to fly CL. I crashed it numerous times learning.

Balsa is more tolerant of crashes than the Cox RTF's 40 - 50 years ago. Prior to it, I had several one shot flights with the RTF's. Hawaii has an almost constant 15 mph Trade Winds breeze. The modified Clark-Y or molded with undercamber was not neutral in winds and had a tendecy to climb into the wind and fall with the wind.

I bought a brand new Cox WW-II Stinson L-5 Sentinel observation plane. It was a sight to behold in its shiny olive drab molded plastic, clear windows and yellow U.S. ARMY silkscreen painted wing and U.S.A.A.C. decals. This was with the wages I earned after high school classes working on a poultry farm. A friend helped me. First flight, I had made the traditional half circle where the 15 mph sea breeze caught the wing. Up she went almost overhead in a very wide inside loop with a WHAM! Plastic shattered into many pieces with a glory worthy of an NTSB investigation. Now I had a Cox 290 donor engine. It seems I was not the only one as many a child experienced similar fates. I think this is why the CL fliers more or less opine that these plastic RTF's were a good reason why CL never caught on like it should with young fliers.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:57 pm

Magical transformation. Like Timex, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Beautiful restoration.
Glad to see this old gal singing again. cheers
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:21 am

Thanks dckrsn and rsv1cox. Yes, it was a great feeling when she fired up, I tweaked the needle and she sang once again. It would be even more neat to hear it sing at the end of 30' lines making successful laps again.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi George, Great job on the restoration. I have a special place in my heart for the Babe Bee.. and every time I see someone here take one from a neglected state.. to a "diamond" it makes me smile. Smile

Great gift idea in the P47. My dad built me a gorgeous little Carl Goldberg "Swordsman-18" when I was a kid.. with a shiny Babe Bee mounted. The fuse was black.. and the wing/tail-feathers were a med./dk. green color. He applied all the decals that came with the kit. I remember my mom complaining about the smell of dope.. and an airplane being built on her dining room table. Shocked

George, making a set of decals isn't too hard.. and there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to have the exact ones you want for the P47. My wife helped me with some recently. One thing I learned.. is that certain images that you may find on the interweb.. have a grey/white checkerboard background. This is area will not print.. or should I say; won't print any background color on "clear" adhesive print media. There are also free photo editing websites.. that allow you to upload your photo, re-size it, and select the background.. and make it a "non-print" area.

Once I was satisfied with my artwork.. I obtained laser-printable full-sheet matte-clear adhesive shipping labels. I felt that they'd be more resistant to "bleeding" when final fuel-proofing was done. I had no problems with TF LustreKote.

These are stickers.. and not decals.. but I didn't care. My model's "image" had been greatly enhanced.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down