Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Cox_ba12

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Empty
Live on Patrol

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent?

Go down

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Empty Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent?

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:14 pm

and engine clean-up.

I have tried automotive parts cleaner, paint thinner, kerosene, and mineral spirits but the best that I have found is warmed up Simple Green in about a three hour soak.  Longer tends to discolor alloy.

The best naturally is glow fuel itself, but I'm cheap enough not to waste it.  Just wondering, there must be something better?

Mineral spirits...Not doing the job.

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Wenboateyelet011_zps9eb6027c
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Empty Re: Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent?

Post  Ken Cook Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:19 pm

I like to use denatured alcohol . I also soak certain parts in tranny fluid. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Empty Re: Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent?

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:22 pm

If Super Dave was still with us, he would have jumped in by now and said Hoppes #9 gun cleaning solvent. Lots of other members seem to agree.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Empty Engine cleaning

Post  Marleysky Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:36 pm

I have not yet tried this but there's a thread on RCU forums on how to use a small crock pot....one you will NEVER use to cook food in again, filled with automotive anti-freeze to heat and soak your engine(s) in. After a good overnight soak/cook the brown goo is all gone. But again you will never be able to use the crockpot for food again.  My 2 cents.
NOTE: do not bake your engine it will turn grey, and you must use the green anti freeze, not the pink. 100% prestone! not 50/50. (Google "crock pot engine cleaning" for additional information ). Also, do not do this inside your house, you'll need plenty of fresh air for the fumes.

Last edited by Marleysky on Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added notes)
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:11 pm

Yep, hoppes #9 is the good stuff. Removes everything.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:48 pm

Thanks marleysky and all. Hoppes #9, got plenty of that.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:52 pm

I like using some fresh glow fuel first.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:29 pm

+1 for Marley, the crock pot is a well proven effective method. When I have dregs of bottles of fuel I pour it into a bottle I keep for that very purpose. I only clean things to a functional level though. I don't ever care what they look like... but I'm not a collector or a hobby engine renewer, just a hack flyer.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:38 pm

Denatured alcohol, chuck them in and leave them at least overnight. If the engine was at the "peanut butter" stage it will likely be good to go the next day. If it is locked tight then there will be more work.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:51 am

I've tried the anti-freeze thing a number of times and it works well. In the absence of a crock-pot, I just stick the engine or parts in a soup can of neat antifreeze and heat it overnight at 100° or so in a small toaster oven I keep in my shed as a bearing heater. (Makes them easier to install when expanded). It can cause paper type gaskets expand and go mushy. I then give the engine a rinse under hot water and scrub with a tooth brush. For really stubborn stains I use some well-diluted pink alkaline degreaser in an ultrasonic jewelery cleaner. Buzz it for about 20-30 minutes then rinse well. Too strong & too long can cause the die-cast case to go dull, but I found that a small soft brass wire brush brings the die-cast back up like new.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 am

Denatured alcohol Works well for me , the locked ones take a while give them a swhirling now and then , Then tooth brush / brass brush after getting them apart . HOBBIES #9 TOO LONG WILL REMOVE ALL THE PLATEING (THANKS SD) Luckily I learned this on a inexpensive engine still [bleep] me off. 30 min. at a time and ck. it ! tried marvel mystery and it was a mystery ? backed a few but just to get them apart . Rod never heard of heating a bearing to install I have put them in the freezer to contract and that has worked well . Eric Babe Bee .049
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:22 am

I have heard of heating and chilling bearing and/or cases to do installations. It is a well recognized concept.

Speaking of heat, that really is the thing for quickly separating castor gummed parts. Use a heat gun and warm the parts gently, gummed old castor will often bubble out of crevices at the correct temperature, then while still warm and wearing heavy leather gloves use the correct tool to attempt to loosen the part. Personal and part safety need considered, so take several tries at it if necessary.

Use leather straps (old belt works well) if using pliers is appropriate. That same leather pad, if long enough, can be caught in the pliers jaws with the part in the material loop to become a strap wrench if necessary.

Do not dunk the part back into whatever bath you are using until it has cooled to a similar temperature as the bath, the temperature shock has a risk of deforming parts, and waiting 5 minutes with the part on the table is easy.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:25 am

Ken Cook wrote:I like to use denatured alcohol . I also soak certain parts in tranny fluid. Ken

I've used a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF --- the acetone lowers the surface tension of the ATF and improves the penetration.  Once parts are loosened and freed up, I finish up with pure acetone.  After cleaning, you'll need to re-lube steel parts since the acetone removes all traces of oil and leaves them susceptible to surface rust.

If plastic parts are involved, check to ensure they won't be harmed by the acetone.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:02 pm

I have found acetone to leave a crusty white residue on the parts, requiring scrubbing. I've never had success with it. Also, I tried to mix acetone & ATF and found that they would not mix and stayed separated. Must have too much synthetic in the ATF I use.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:59 pm

Just got some of this stuff today with about 10 min. and a paper towel w/a dash of this stuff the case came out pretty nice (This is polish After cleaning )  Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Wp_20122  Under 10.00 Very Happy Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Wp_20123 Getback
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:32 pm

I love Simichrome, it's been my all time go to polish for 30 years. If your plastic lenses on your head lights are all faded out due to yellowing and sun, Simichrome will restore them as well. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:29 am

I finally loosened this engine up.  Nothing worked until I fired up the heat gun.  Nasty inside.  Sorry for the poor picture quality.

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Snowcleanwen006_zpsf60f146c

The heat gun isn't kind to gaskets but age had a lot to do with it too..

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Snowcleanwen009_zps50a6169e

It came out rather nice though.  From frozen tight to operable engine once I find replacement gaskets.

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Snowcleanwen008_zpsd746470e

Now to tend to this one.  I'm trying a less invasive penetrating oil soak before applying heat.

Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Snowcleanwen012_zpsee2d862b

Last edited by rsv1cox on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:49 am

Good Job !! I think you beat me and some others out on that auction ? I remember the eng. u cleaned and the oil can Very Happy Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:20 pm

getback wrote:Good Job !! I think you beat me and some others out on that auction ? I remember the eng. u cleaned and the oil can Very Happy  Eric

I hate it when that happens Eric..... lol! lol! Wink

I lose more of these than I win. Sometimes I think --- Someone out bid me...PLEASE!!! I usually one time bid what it's worth to me, then quit. But these two had a special appeal.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Yeah I hear U Ck. this diesel conversion out ... well I don't thik it was a good idea since must have blew the cly/crank case threads out . Looks like JB time and put the right head on it Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Wp_20124 Your favorite dried out glow fuel solvent? Wp_20125 Its got a pretty Red tank though Turkey Eric lol!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:56 pm

That's not a conversion Eric. OK Cub made a diesel in both .049 & .074. I'm pretty sure only the diesels had the red prop driver. The cylinder is different & can't take a glow plug head. Crank & rod are also stronger. I'm pretty sure the case is the same, so all the rugged diesel gear can be transferred to a glow crankcase. I've been trying to get hold of a Cub diesel for ages, but the price usually goes beyond my budget.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down