Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem Cox_ba12

Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem Empty
Live on Patrol

Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem

Go down

Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem Empty Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:14 pm

Promptly shipped and well packed with an unexpected extra glow head but the top of the piston hits the head. I have to back off the head about 1/8 turn to get it to pass. There are two gaskets and when I changed heads the second head allows the piston to pass but still bumps.

Send it back or order and add gaskets?

Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem MrGilbert001_zps6a1e3a5c
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem Empty Re: Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem

Post  TDbandit Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Nice engine! As for the interference, you could use some extra shims (gaskets) but I would be careful. I would think though that even with no head shims at all it still should clear the head. I'm not familiar with this engine so this could be part of its design but it sounds like that there is a machining flaw. This could be a send back.
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem Empty Re: Mr Gilbert arrives - with a problem

Post  dckrsn Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:46 pm

I know nothing about Gilbert engines, but
the next time you have the head off, check
for the piston clearing the gasket/shim.
Sometimes the shims don't center themselves.

Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:15 pm

I don't know Gilbert either, but timing shims under the cylinder might be involved...and are missing if the engine ha been apart.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:52 pm

I once had a Cox Black Widow that the piston would hit the head at TDC. I just added one more than I usually do and it ran just as well as all the rest. I flew it many times with no problem.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:08 am

Remember, these engines Steve Brown is selling are made up of NOS parts and I suspect he doesn't run them. They have no shims under the cylinder. I would think that head gaskets would be the answer, although I'm yet to find a source. I would contact the seller, state your concern & he can either replace the whole thing or send you a couple of extra gaskets if he has them. It might be that he is using an outsourced head gasket which may be thinner than the original.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:10 pm

Steve said that he flipped the prop several times before packing it. Possibly he was in a very warm room. Smile He recommended some oil and a flip. I will try it, but this is not just a compression bump, this is hard stop. Never saw anything like it.

As I mentioned it has two gaskets now, perhaps a third would help. Anyway, nice guy, said not to worry he would make it right. The other two Gilberts (with mufflers) should arrive this week, it will be interesting to see if they have a similar problem. I'm not sure if they have been used or not.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:50 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Steve said that he flipped the prop several times before packing it.  Possibly he was in a very warm room. Smile  He recommended some oil and a flip.  I will try it, but this is not just a compression bump, this is hard stop.  Never saw anything like it.  

As I mentioned it has two gaskets now, perhaps a third would help.  Anyway, nice guy, said not to worry he would make it right.  The other two Gilberts (with mufflers) should arrive this week, it will be interesting to see if they have a similar problem.  I'm not sure if they have been used or not.  
Hmm, I would like to tinker with one of these, they look interesting. Btw, since you said that 1/8 turn cleared the interference, as stated above I would go the head shim route as well come to think of it. 1/8 turn is not alot so you should be fine just make sure the shims are centered.
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:58 pm

If anyone finds a source of head shims for the Gilbert 7 please let me know. I tried a Cox .074 shim & it's just a smidgen too large. I haven't been game to try to trim it. I did wonder what the diameter of the Cox .049 timing shims was. Maybe that's an option.
I did manage to find a really good fit in a box of automotive odds & ends, so they're around.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:57 am

Oldenginerod wrote:If anyone finds a source of head shims for the Gilbert 7 please let me know.  I tried a Cox .074 shim & it's just a smidgen too large.  I haven't been game to try to trim it.  I did wonder what the diameter of the Cox .049 timing shims was.  Maybe that's an option.
I did manage to find a really good fit in a box of automotive odds & ends, so they're around.

Rod.

Hi Rod, You can probably get them from Steve. I have his address but not his direct email, you have to go through ebay and "ask a question". He is sending me "several" and if one or two solve my problem I can send you the rest. He has been such a gentleman about this that I am ordering another .074. He also mentioned that he has 11 heads and mufflers.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down