Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sunday's flight report Cox_ba12

Sunday's flight report Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sunday's flight report Empty
Live on Patrol

Sunday's flight report

Go down

Sunday's flight report Empty Sunday's flight report

Post  RknRusty Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Sunday was perfect for flying. Wayne and I spent six solid hours out there sharing the field with the RC guys. One of them had never heard of control line before, so we put on a pretty good show for him. I flew the Yak-9 once and stayed with the Magnum the rest of the day. It was dead calm part of the time and I got a real good lesson in backstepping during consecutive maneuvers. That big plane leaves such a wake there is no air to grab if you follow the same track as the last loop. I'm pretty sure that's how I lost my Skyray back in October, so when I felt it starting to happen I knew what to do. The bigger the plane, the worse the danger.

But that big boy is too sensitive to changes in the breeze. I was surprised to get slack lines when I ignored a quick shift as a brief thermal passed over the field. I was flying for the camera so I wanted to keep my stunts in the same place. The breeze turned 180 deg for several laps and I figured, 70 oz plane, almost as big as me, no problem, it'll cut through like nothing changed. Ha! The joke was on me, I was running all over the place trying to keep that thing in the air. So much for my brilliant show off movie. Wayne has been telling me it didn't pull hard enough, but not being accustomed to a big heavy ship, I ignored his concerns.

I'm preparing to go out again on Thursday and have a couple of things in mind. One is, I could shorten the lines but I don't think I'll have time to make up a new set before then. I think the first thing i'll try is another inch of pitch on the prop to speed it up. On 65' I'm flying 5.5 second laps. And there is also the leadout position. It seems plenty tight at low altitudes, and I've been told moving them forward will increase tension at high altitudes while lessening tension down low. That's an adjustment I have yet to really learn about. Meanwhile, since I'm low on backup planes, Wayne has given me a 35 size U-Key. I plan to bolt the OS 25fp onto it. That's the engine from my Osprey. So I'll be test flying it too.

So stay tuned for Thursday's flight report for an update. And maybe I can get a movie of that elusive perfect pattern
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Sunday's flight report Empty Re: Sunday's flight report

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:32 pm

58' for old timey .35 stuff and 60-62' for the modern ships up to .45

That's my rule!

Keep in mind at 65' eyelet to eyelet you are closer to 68' from shoulder to center of the fuse.

I would adjust my line length before I played with leadout position. 5.5 sec is pretty relaxed. The Magnum could probably handle that with a good engine run and no breeze, but any small gust or hiccup on the engine could end in disaster. I think you already figured that out though. You may get away with longer lines, but you are going to have to open up the pattern and fly big!

Looking forward to the next report.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down