Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Duke Engines Cox_ba12

Duke Engines Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Duke Engines Empty
Live on Patrol

Duke Engines

Go down

Mad Duke Engines

Post  roddie Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:24 am

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Mad Re: Duke Engines

Post  ian1954 Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:12 pm

So did I. This is quite a concept and I hope it can be developed so that it doesn't turn into a Wankel engine. This was an engine concept that I admired but ...

Friday, June 22, 2012, the Wankel rotary engine's last remaining and steadfast devotee, Mazda, produced their final rotary engine in their Hiroshima plant. The Wankel engine never really fulfilled its promises and hopes, though over its history over 25 major automobile, motorcycle, tractor, and aircraft companies, ranging from Suzuki to Rolls-Royce, were actively researching, developing, and/or building the piston-less engine.

The Wankel motor is one of those things that, for all its issues, was just too pure and beautiful for engineers to ignore. With far fewer parts than a regular reciprocating piston engine and a visually elegant design, it's no wonder Mazda kept with it. For a given displacement, it produces far more power than a given piston engine, at a much smaller size and weight. It can rev faster and is inherently smooth, since the motive force is rotational from start to finish— not the back-and-forth hopping of a piston engine. The down side was that Wankels are always a bit more fuel-gluttonous than a piston engine, and almost always have dirtier exhaust. Poor fuel economy and more polluting are pretty much the only strikes you need against you in our modern age, so the mainstream Wankel is going away.

I hope that this concept can address the issues that drove the Wankel away.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:34 pm

I owned an '83 Mazda RX7. I loved that little Wankel, it was smooth and relatively powerful for it's size.

Not so sure how it didn't fulfill a promise when it was used for around 50yrs. That's a pretty long time for such a "dud"

Now I am going to watch the video... Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gossie Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Very interesting indeed.
And 91 is our low octane fuel here down under = to 87 in the U.S.
gossie
gossie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:22 am

Check out the similarities between this Duke engine and the Waterbury speed gear used on ships 50 years ago and probably still being used.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:52 am

I guess the weak point of the Duke concept is the same as that of the Wankel: sealing the compression-exposed, moving parts against flue-gas blow-by.

The block of cylinders in the Duke turn against a stationary engine head in which the spark plugs, suction and exhasut chambers are accommodated. Just think of how difficult it is to seal the plane contact surface between the rotating block of cylinders and the engine head...the same as the rotating Wankel piston peripherial and side sealing issues. No wonder the fuel economy of the Wankel was low.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:10 am

Some hydraulic pumps and motors use this same layout. This concept on an internal combustion engine allows the adjustment of the stroke length (and compression ratio), which, combined with supercharging, would give a great adjustability and fuel economy. I didn't watch the video (connection problems), so I am sorry if I repeat what has already been said.

Mechanically that is a tough concept, in addition to sealing problems that balogh already mentioned, there would probably be some wear issues in the ball joint in the bottom ends of the con rods. In hydraulic pumps and motors there is a small passage in the bottom of each piston through which the work pressure feeds oil between the surfaces. Hydraulic pressure also builds up a lot slower than cylinder pressure in an internal combustion engine.

But nowadays there are all kinds of new ceramic and other materials, self-lubricating, self repairing etc, so who knows what will happen.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down