Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Will they never stop?!? Cox_ba12

Will they never stop?!? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Will they never stop?!? Empty
Live on Patrol

Will they never stop?!?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mad Will they never stop?!?

Post  batjac Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:39 am

As soon as I think I get a handle on my building list, something else pops up and throws my order all to hell.  I just got a PM from Keith Morgan over on Stunt Hanger asking me to take a look at his Cox PT-19 copy to see if it could be included in the 2nd Annual ICPT19FIIYGI Day.  Now I gotta build one of THESE babies….  The thread is here: http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php/topic,37584.0.html

It is made of coroplast, and is the same size and dimensions as the Cox PT-19.  And a couple of ounces lighter.  Looks pretty good, too.  I’ll have to see if I can find blue and yellow coroplast.  Or maybe some red and white.  Or both.  Maybe enough to build three planes.  One Babe Bee, one Product  Engine, and one Medallion.  And then a camera plane version.  And then…

Here is Keith’s picture of his prototypes with an original Cox PT.
Will they never stop?!? Index_zps3bfb3cc7

The “Where’d My Signboards Go?” Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mad Re: Will they never stop?!?

Post  Kim Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:30 am

The Legend just lives on and on !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:52 am

Kim wrote:The Legend just lives on and on !

In variations.

Will they never stop?!? PT-19Together001_zpsd97f3744
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mad re:will they never stop

Post  craig bernard Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:42 am

Bob your pt 19 looks good considering it look ed like it came from a war in the original pictures. keep up the good work!craig Babe Bee .049
craig bernard
craig bernard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:22 am

Thanks Mark. I PM'ed him for the drawings. I need to make one for our RC club, we have mowed a circle now and have started teaching the RC guys to fly CL.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:34 am

craig bernard wrote:Bob your pt 19 looks good considering it look ed  like it came from a war in the original pictures.  keep up the good work!craig Babe Bee .049

Strung it up today Craig probably with the Cox handle and string that originally came with it. Made a tail skid out of a paper clip that will not survive the first take-off. Just waiting for a warm day and a holder now.

Will they never stop?!? PT-19string4engines003_zps07824c47
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:17 pm

Why not make a stooge?
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:51 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Why not make a stooge?

I did, out of a clothes pin.  It didn't play to strong reviews when I posted it here....But, it works.  Smile

Will they never stop?!? Modelrelease006_zpsa843363c

Will they never stop?!? Modelrelease005_zps9631b4ee

I just don't think the rather rinky dink tail skid on the PT-19 would hold.  It's just seated in very thin plastic and sealed with plastic glue.  I have to think up a better solution. Huh...

Last edited by rsv1cox on Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:01 pm

Pin-Stooges are easy to make. I love using them. Here's two that I made.

This one recently..

Will they never stop?!? Stooge10
Will they never stop?!? Stooge11

and this one about 25 years ago..

Will they never stop?!? Stooge12

Those are aluminum spikes (from rain-gutters) that I use to anchor the stooge in sod. They are angled to bite-in under tension. The newer stooge has a more sophisticated spring-return and has 42' of mason-line.

If your flying a small tail-dragger airplane.. it helps to have a block or rail for the inside front wheel to sit against.. because when you run out to pick up your handle to check your controls.. you can accidentally pull the nose of the model toward you. Kim Stricker has a cool set-up using pegboard.. so he can adjust the rail for the size of the model.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:15 pm

I like those roddie, especially the first one. I will have to steal your design.

I was ready to try the Ringmaster on 35' lines, then I measured. Sad Trees to close, so I took the zero turn out to the field beside the house and cut a 70' circle. Ran out of daylight.

I used left over edging spikes on mine.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  craig bernard Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:28 pm

Lol bob on thepaper clip but if it works it works are you going to film the first flite? Im waiting on a cox skycopter I bought should be hear day after newyears day paid 30.00 in original box seller says its missing tail rotor and one weight for main rotors and instructions thats going to be my little resturation project happy new year forum members craig Babe Bee
craig bernard
craig bernard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:44 pm

craig bernard wrote:Lol bob on thepaper clip but if it works it works are you going to film the first flite? Im waiting on a cox skycopter I bought should be hear day after newyears day paid 30.00 in original box seller says its missing tail rotor and one weight for main rotors and instructions thats going to be my little resturation project happy new year forum members craig Babe Bee

I'm too dumb to own a "smart" phone with a camera, but I do have my old reliable Olympus digital that will capture about sixteen seconds of video. Probably more than enough time to record the first flight. Smile

It's been many year's since I flew C/L.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:48 pm

craig bernard wrote:Lol bob on thepaper clip but if it works it works are you going to film the first flite? Im waiting on a cox skycopter I bought should be hear day after newyears day paid 30.00 in original box seller says its missing tail rotor and one weight for main rotors and instructions thats going to be my little resturation project happy new year forum members craig Babe Bee
Here's the instructiona for the Skycopter Craig. They were in the info section-upper sidebar.
Happy New Year!
Bob
https://2e76ee21-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/freefilesdownloads/Skycopter%20Manual.PDF?attachauth=ANoY7coEVyVl8ssnz4tLsX6oDTk_gllTNUnJkYSZ6WkVkMDEnkkARHY-dhsLyDn48uA3qh_nFCN_D7v1qs9fvfzcRr8xdh-1dAg47ts6WDyF8Y4yHro60QCqI7YaePuunvgvDxaOguFWoL-zpdJvDLo6i772TO4kULqn5vTUkwGm2n2wGzBcBJx_QHeQeaTP3flj0X-6ndUeNGJ4Xv3AeX-wbxAovenx-L7gWGFFCa6_YGflkQREnn8%3D&attredirects=0
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  craig bernard Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Bob if its been awhile 16 seconds should be enough whats the worse that could happen the pt 19 will be back to like the first pictures you show us! Im only joking hope it:-)goes well if you fly it. Your probably thinking thousands of comedians out of work and your trying to be funny!hay! I have to amuse my self some how and its new years and the wifes already gone to bed!my wife keeps telling me to improve on the 16 seconds haaa! Haaa!All the best craig maybe I should go down the street and party? Happy New Year
craig bernard
craig bernard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:32 pm

I hope that batjac doesn’t mind me continuing his thread, But I’m learning a lot here.

Solved my PT-19 tail wheel problem by installing a wooden peg and coming in from both sides with a brass screw.  Sturdiest part of the airplane now.

Will they never stop?!? 3OKandpttail001_zpsb4060b6a

I thought this clever.  An adjustable down angle engine.  Did all PT-19’s come with this feature?

Will they never stop?!? 3OKandpttail002_zpsaee923d7[/url]

The plans call for rubber bands around the bottom of the wing with no mention of putting them over the top.  But most I see have them over the top, I will put them on both ways.

Will they never stop?!? 3OKandpttail013_zps163df688

Will they never stop?!? 3OKandpttail007_zps01b8c52b

Someone goofed when they wrote the original plans.

Will they never stop?!? 3OKandpttail016_zpsd22c661e
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:05 pm

If you're talking about the rotation to turn the prop against the spring, it's not a mistake.  Cox PT-19's came with both left hand and right hand propellers.  My early 80's PT-19 came with a right hand prop and spring starter.  My 1974 PT-19 came with a left hand prop and spring starter.  I believe they ued right hand props in the 60's.  So the instructions were written for the right hand engine version, and then overwritten when they put out a run of left hand propped planes.

The Ambidextrous Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:34 pm

Bob, Your new tailskid should hold more securely in your clothespin stooge.. but you'll want to build something more secure for when you start flying models that are more powerful and more fragile than the Cox PT19. I'd hate to hear of a model pulling out of that clothespin before your ready to launch. I've never had the luxury of a pitman.. so I've always built or modified my tail-dragger airplanes to have some provision for a "pin" to slide through. I've drilled a hole through a tail-wheel or installed a music-wire tailskid with a small "hoop" for the pin to slide through.

It's helpful not to have to mess with anything while your starting/tuning the engine.. removing the glow-clip etc. A pin "locks" the airplane until you're ready to release it. The pin-stooges I've built will hold a big airplane like your Nieuport with no problem.. as long as the stooge is mounted securely to the ground.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Interesting Mark, But something is still messed up.  The plans originally had printed clockwise, yet the little guy is pulling counter clockwise.  Huh...

How about my question about the adjustable cant of the motor?  Were all years/variations of the PT-19 so equipped?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:46 pm

Agreed roddie, don't be surprised if you see a clone of your stooge show up on these pages. Probably not as nicely done but hopefully as effective.

That clothespin should hold this rockin' PT-19 ok, but I could drill a hole in that skid to accept a pin type release. If I still lived in Tiverton, I'd be knocking on your door. Your holder has arrived.... Airplane
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:41 pm

rsv1cox wrote:
How about my question about the adjustable cant of the motor?  Were all years/variations of the PT-19 so equipped?

Yup. They've always had that. It's a continuation of the adjustable thrust line started on the TD-4 planes.

The Half-Baked Historian Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:00 pm

Thanks Mark, but after accusing myself of being to lazy to find out for myself I did an ebay search and came up with this:

Will they never stop?!? PT-19wingbackwards_zps10b24fdb

Answered my question and cost me $59 bucks Buy It Now.  Cheapest I have seen on these.  There is a fuselage only on ebay now for $79 and no bids.  I may need it though NOT.  This one like my other one has the tail skid broken off, but I have a fix for that. Smile  Otherwise it's in great shape.  Another one and done flight I would think.

Somethings just not right with that picture....Wonder what it is.... Huh...  Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Is this the Canard version with a pusher? lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:23 pm

How silly of me. The pilots couldn't see where they were going. Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:54 am

Oldenginerod wrote:How silly of me.  The pilots couldn't see where they were going. Laughing

Not silly, they just haven't installed the rear view mirrors yet.  Smile

Will they never stop?!? Pt-19pilots2_zps2ac3f9ad

Looks like rubber band residue around the front fuselage....
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi Bob, I really like the clear windscreens on your PT19. I have an early 90's version that I flew so much.. that I eventually had to replace the fuse on. I've made some mods over the years.. and the next mod will have to be a different fuel tank. Both the old and new fuse had the same trouble with the factory tank-bowl falling off. I often flew using Sig Champion "35".. which may have possibly (eventually) caused the snap-fit to fail.

Here's my old original fuse.. The holes in the side were for a battery holder (single AA) wired to a micro-toggle switch (hole in fuse top) that was connected to the glow-head using a wiring-harness with a tiny E-clip soldered-in for the center electrode and a "fork" type clip that I made to fit between the head-fins. I couldn't "cold-start" the engine with this set-up.. but once the engine was warm, it would start immediately after refueling, by moving the toggle switch forward which closed the circuit. Pit-stops were fast! Kinda silly on a model that already weighed 10 ounces... but it was fun.  
Will they never stop?!? Pt19-o10

Here's the model with the new (current) fuse. Pilots had to be ordered separately..

Will they never stop?!? Pt1910
Will they never stop?!? Pt19-n10

I installed lead-outs to make line-changes from model to model possible. (I should have used short pieces of Dacron.. but the music-wire solids worked ok)

Will they never stop?!? Pt19-010

Here's the 1994 PT19 parts list..

Will they never stop?!? Pt19-111

and here's the tailskid drilled for my pin-stooge..

Will they never stop?!? Pt19-s10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next